Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official 2009 Parker Factory Tour Thread  (Read 16188 times)

Offline Noodler

Official 2009 Parker Factory Tour Thread
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
So I'm kicking this thing off.

It was an absolutely awesome 2 days of discovery and discussion.  We spent time with many of the key Parker managers including Terry Atkins (production manager), Nick (product manager), Jody (marketing manager), and Barry (president).  We took lots of pics and video so please be patient while we work on getting everything posted.

The main thing I want to mention in this first post is that there are big things coming from Parker in the very near future.  Unfortunately the new owner required all of us to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) limiting us from sharing any info regarding the prototypes we played - BUT you won't have to wait too long.  The news will all break out in time for NAMM in January 2010.

Parker is positioning themselves to be a long term major player in the guitar manufacturing marketplace and the tour participants are all confident that Parker is moving in the right direction.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
I remember Alex mentioning after the 2008 tour that he felt that Parker was in very good hands with Terry Atkins leading production.  Wow, that's got to be an understatement.  The passion this man has for the business and Parker guitars in just infectious.  Terry is a great listener - taking advice from the customers/players and constantly working on improving the product.  

No one should ever vilify Terry for the changes he's making to Parker guitars.  There is definitely some "ugly" behind the scenes truths about production problems with the Ken Parker era Flys and Terry and his team are working hard to improve the consistency in the quality and find production efficiencies where possible to keep costs down (by reducing the failure rates and labor time).  One of the major realizations we all came away with was just how much a Parker Fly is a handmade product.  The Parker Fly requires many, many hand labor steps performed by skilled craftsmen to become the guitar it is.  I've watched plenty of factory tour videos and what Parker has to do to produce a Fly is mind-boggling.

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:47:24 AM »
Thanks, Noodler.  I'm looking forward to pics and vids! [:D]

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Padraic

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
I have to agree with Noodler. The few hours I was ab;e to be there on Thursday were quite eye opening. I was actually quite impressed with how small the manufacturing tolerances on Parkers actually are :)

I had a great time, and was happy to meet the Forumites that were there, as well as Terry, Jody, Dennis, et al!

Padraic Lindsey
1994 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Artist w/Gen 2's
Sovtek Mig 50-H
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Orange Tiny Terror
Fender Tweed Blues Junior
Marshall DSL 401
Luthier
Owner of Mullycrushed Custom Instruments

Offline kurrykid

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »
I'll have much more to post when I get home (I am at a coffee shop west of Chicago right now).  I can tell you the factory tour was an experience of a lifetime.  What a class act US Music is...everyone there is fantastic and I am so happy I decided to go.  Before I went, I loved Parker Guitars, now...I respect them too!  The amount of work that goes into each and every guitar is incredible.  What a work of art they are.

I completely agree that Parker is in good hands and they are clearly headed in the right direction.  I am very excited for them and their future.  I am also excited for me because there is no doubt in my mind that in 2010, I will have a new Parker as part of my family...there's something special about your 4th child [:)] [:)] [:)] [:)]

I will get working on the videos later in the week and will get something posted as soon as I can...I promise! [:)]

Dave

PM20, QB
Black P6E
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
Dave

TTB DF
PM20, QB
Black P6E

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
That tour was an amazing experience for me, and as the other I was not expecting to see so much handcrafting on these guitars it's truly amazing how much work is put in these.

We had the opportunity to discuss, try, look at pretty much everything in depth, even the issues Parker is facing right now (both technical or economical related), everyone was really open to discuss everything, and you really felt like a part of the family for this two days.

There are some challenges that Parker has to face right now, but what we have seen really make me feel confident for them. Parker really holds its future in his hands and I can wait to hold it too in January...

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »
Just a bump.  We're still waiting guys! [:D]

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Noodler

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
We've had a bit of a mis-step on the pictures.  Everyone thought I had them, but I don't.  Expect to see the pics posted separately by each of the tour attendees.

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
Oh dear. Will they still post them here in this topic?

Fly Deluxe '96 | Fly Mojo '05 | custom '09 Artist on order | custom HSS Midi Fly on order | bronze fly on order | Mesa Boogie Roadster head + 2 x 12 / 4 x 12 | AER Compact 60 | TC Electronic G System | Lehle stereo switchers and P Split | Taylor 815ce | Taylor 410ce | Fender RR Strat | Axon AX50 | Gibson Chet Atkins SST | Takamine Nylon CP132SC |  Ovation mm68 mandolin
Solo album Anthems of a Stranger out at www.andyinnes.com or on iTunes

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:40:16 PM »
OK i'm trying this is my first attempt to post a slide show...

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/dreamsy29/Parker%20Factory%20Tour%202009/?action=view¤t=d1c254f3.pbw

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamsy

OK i'm trying this is my first attempt to post a slide show...

Nice!  Really cool pictures.
The DF pictures from various angles really increased my respect for the instrument.
Was that a picture of the guts of the Belew model?
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »
If I were rich (why couldn't I be?) you'd all have just experienced the high privilege of being able to watch (some of) my stuff getting manufactured.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline kurrykid

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 08:00:02 PM »
quote:
Was that a picture of the guts of the Belew model?

Sure was...keep your eye out for a lot of video on the Belew guitar.  I've got a 2 parter uploading to YouTube right now of Dennis demoing it.  I also have video of him showing the "guts" and talking about the work on it that I will get together soon.

Dave

PM20, QB
Black P6E
Dave

TTB DF
PM20, QB
Black P6E

Offline Padraic

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
I was in one of those photos! Yay!

Padraic Lindsey
1994 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Artist w/Gen 2's
Sovtek Mig 50-H
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Orange Tiny Terror
Fender Tweed Blues Junior
Marshall DSL 401
Luthier
Owner of Mullycrushed Custom Instruments

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »
Great pics! I agree - dragonfly models look great. Is that beauty towards the end of the slideshow in the case with the gold hardware a Koa?

edit: sorry - 1st pic in the slideshow

Fly Deluxe '96 | Fly Mojo '05 | custom '09 Artist on order | custom HSS Midi Fly on order | bronze fly on order | Mesa Boogie Roadster head + 2 x 12 / 4 x 12 | AER Compact 60 | TC Electronic G System | Lehle stereo switchers and P Split | Taylor 815ce | Taylor 410ce | Fender RR Strat | Axon AX50 | Gibson Chet Atkins SST | Takamine Nylon CP132SC |  Ovation mm68 mandolin | Roland VG-99 | TC Electronic Nova System
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:43:05 AM by AndyI »
Solo album Anthems of a Stranger out at www.andyinnes.com or on iTunes