Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official 2009 Parker Factory Tour Thread  (Read 16504 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Official 2009 Parker Factory Tour Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 07:20:19 AM »
Ummm, Those were great.

Don't hold back now.

Keep um coming guys. [:p]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »
I know this sounds crazy. Especially since the Parker finishes are soo fantastic.

But I really love the raw look of those unfinished, unbuffed Flys. Its just so cool to see that black matt carbon sharply juxtaposed on the posterior of that beautiful nakkkeed mahogany.

I would love to have a Fly "In the raw". It would even look cool as it got nicked, beat up, and stained over the years. A Fly for the road.

Maybe the Roadie Fly would even be half price?

OK I can dream too.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline kurrykid

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 07:47:21 AM »
Here's one of the Fly's being sanded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzjIVY-b-AE

Dave

PM20, QB
Black P6E
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
Dave

TTB DF
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
PM20, QB
Black P6E

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »
quote:

But I really love the raw look of those unfinished, unbuffed Flys. Its just so cool to see that black matt carbon sharply juxtaposed on the posterior of that beautiful nakkkeed mahogany.

I would love to have a Fly "In the raw". It would even look cool as it got nicked, beat up, and stained over the years. A Fly for the road.

You're not alone in this mindset !

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline nangillala

• http://www.kinsai-music.de
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »
Thank's a  lot for the pictures and the videos. But why an Adrian Belew in Silver? The Color is one of the coolest around.
Looking for a Stealth - If you have one for sale please contact me.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »
The silver Belew was a custom order.  One of the biggest surprises is that every Belew planned for production is already purchased.  I think they said it was either 50 or 100.  That surprised me given the cost of that guitar.  In some of the pics and videos you should see a trans-black maple quilt top Belew that is not yet finished.  Terry said that guitar will have a $20K list price when they're done with it.

Offline rocky97

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 10:40:39 PM »
the silver AB seen in the photos is the factory reference guitar.  it is the very first guitar i built and the only one before the AB finally went into production.

adrian's 3rd and final guitar built by axel was in silver, and this is the one i had in my possession for about a year to model after.  when i saw adrian perform in chicago last year, he used the silver guitar.  and under the stage lights, i couldn't believe how this color lit up.  the metallic is coarse enough to really stand out ........... it's absolutely brilliant.  i'm looking at one on the bench right now that i have to deliver first thing monday.  yep ........ really brilliant.

the tangerine belew is also pretty cool.  i will always remember this color from my teen years, when candy finishes were popular on custom painted cars.  some guy in the neighborhood had an SS 396 chevelle  painted in this.  my metallic blue dodge R/T was bland compared to this.  the girls loved it ..........  he got laid a lot.

and if you look through all the photos on the tour, you'll see me holding a tangerine AB that is ready to ship.  the majority of the AB guitars are in tangerine.

there's a few dusty dusty black ones made, and although i like black, i think anybody who spends this much money for a guitar should have something that stands out a little more. and FYI, pictures don't do the lime gold any justice.  it simply doesn't photograph well.  there's traces of red and green that show up much better in person that the camera just can't catch properly.

dennis

he who dies with the most guitars ...............

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »
You do look very comfortable holding that guitar.

Thanks for the insider explanation. Very cool.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 12:14:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by rocky97

the tangerine belew is also pretty cool.  i will always remember this color from my teen years, when candy finishes were popular on custom painted cars.  some guy in the neighborhood had an SS 396 chevelle  painted in this.  my metallic blue dodge R/T was bland compared to this.  the girls loved it ..........  he got laid a lot.

Just forgot to mention that you no longer have the blue dodge but a silver car to go along with your AB.[;)]

Custom Fly on order !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
Glad you guys had a great time. Thanks for the documentation! It was a blast when I went to the first tour, and I knew y'all would enjoy the experience. Nice to see they are doing some very cool things. Kudos to Terry and crew for rolling out the red carpet, and being willing to get some sawdust on it.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline nangillala

• http://www.kinsai-music.de
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:46 PM »
Hey Dennis,
thank you for this explanations. Even from the photos the lime gold was one of my favorite colors, and I would LOVE to see one in person (next to my bed would be nice :) or at least in a video...
Maybe I'll order a custom lime-gold Fly one day, let's see *g*

The thing about the Belew being sold before being finished: Is it, that they will make 100 (so it's limited) or is this just the count they already sold?
Looking for a Stealth - If you have one for sale please contact me.

Offline lacks focus

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »
I'm late to the thread...was this tour a specially-arranged thing, or do they offer them on a regular basis, like, say, Martin? I get to the Chicago area pretty frequently. It'd be cool to go to the factory next time I'm up there.

Craig in Indy

'08 Parker PM20
'77 Martin M38
'80 Stelling Staghorn
Craig in Indy

'08 Parker PM20
Roland Cube 20X
'77 Martin M38
'82 Stelling Staghorn

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 04:06:47 PM »
Craig, so far, they've done two.  One in May of last year, and this one in September.  I was on the first one, and it was really cool.  Looks like the guys had a great time again, and got to see even more of the production process than we did the first time.  If you really want a tour the next time you're in town, you should email Terry (Billy T on the forum) and ask.  Or wait until next year. [;)]

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline rocky97

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by nangillala

The thing about the Belew being sold before being finished: Is it, that they will make 100 (so it's limited) or is this just the count they already sold?

at one time, there was some talk of limiting the quantity,  but nothing was ever finalized.

it strikes me that everyone is thinking that no decision has to be made at the moment.  one of the reasons for this is that i'm the limiting factor as to how many can be produced per month.  even with some help from my engineer/technician mark stephens ........ i have my hands full.

all the RMC and variax circuit boards and controls have to be modified.  and i have to construct the tone/sustainer control from other pots, a fabricated frame, and a custom shaft.  there are 5 circuit boards to make (4 of them are onboard).  i machine the purchased aluminum box to accommodate the voltage regulator for the variax.   i also make the special back plate that alan hoover uses for the sustainiac pickup.  wiring this thing is intense ........... and without the use of a curved-tip forceps to snake wires through everything ........... it would be almost impossible.  and there's a lot more that i don't want to bore you with.

i haven't figured out exactly, but after terry gives me a painted body with the trem, tuners, and control holes ............. there's somewhere between 32 and 36 man-hours on my end for each guitar.  this is all done aside from my regular responsibilities.  i now have no weekends or life to speak of.

getting back to the original question, it's my guess that AB parkers will be made as long as there is a demand ........... even if the market approaches saturation a few years down the road and we build a dozen or two annually.

it doesn't make sense for parker (or myself) to stop making these after all the years of effort it took to bring this to fruition.

these guitars may be considered custom ........... but for the most part, just about every parker is a custom.  and to continue on with even small quantities of the AB,  it really doesn't upset the system.

digressing from the original topic, i hope that whoever is buying these things isn't just hanging them on a wall or in a glass case.  i wonder about this, because with all the ones that are now out there, customer service has only been contacted once.  and the buyer complained that the 2' cable coming out of the variax regulator box was too short.  so i had him send it to me and put a 4' one on, no charge.  also, there are no comments or postings (either good or bad) on the forum from any owners.  i don't know how to interpret this.  ????????????

and here's what seems to be the best kept secret:  you can download the PDF manual for this fabulous guitar.  my cohort mark stephens wrote the first draft, and it was then proofed by adrian, myself, and several parker employees.  it tells you everything you want to know about the AB.  just go to the parker home page and pull down on "media."   then click on the "manuals" under the downloads.  you'll figure out the rest.  and your comments on this manual is something i'd be interested in.

taillights ..........
dennis

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:42:13 AM by rocky97 »
he who dies with the most guitars ...............

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »
Hi Dennis would you mind if I quote this message to another board? There was some discussion on why it would cost so much and while I didn't doubt it was justified this would go a long way to explain it to others not familiar with what this kind of custom work takes to to do.

Some time you might want to have someone follow you through an assembly with a video camera. Edited down to say ten minutes would make for a great explanation.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG