Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official 2009 Parker Factory Tour Thread  (Read 16482 times)

Offline Noodler

Official 2009 Parker Factory Tour Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2009, 12:21:25 AM »
www_Ps_com - Here's an interesting factoid since you're asking about the HSS config and its sounds.  I didn't realize (and I bet I'm not the only one) that the original (and rare) S2 and S3 Parker Flys did not use true single coil pickups.  Those older guitars used a "single" coil pickup that was actually half of a humbucker.  The pole pieces were not magnets as is the case with typical single coils.  So although the pickup's magnetic "view" (aperture) is narrow like a single coil it doesn't really act like a true single coil.

All the new DragonFlys will be using real deal Seymour Duncan single coils.  That's about all we can say on this for now.

Offline BillyT

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
Wow!!
I knew you guys took a lot of pictures, but this upload was extensive!
We all owe a great deal to Kurry Kid, Noodler, Ghibby, Stevie Axeman, Padraic and Dreamsy for participating in the tour and sharing thier experiences with the group.
I had a great time and can't wait to do it again. I think the time of year we did it this year was excellent, as we are working on new models to be introduced in January and have them out on the floor this time of year. It is also between holidays in a time of year when there are lots of them. I will try to make this an annual thing with a fixed date in September so people can plan well in advance.
Regarding th Dragonfly availability in Germany, I don't know. The distributor, (Thomann) must order them from us befor you will see them in Germany. Call them and give them a nudge.

Offline bluffalo

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2009, 08:31:23 AM »
Interesting stuff, thanks for the efforts involved from all!

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Noodler

..... that the original (and rare) S2 and S3 Parker Flys did not use true single coil pickups.  Those older guitars used a "single" coil pickup that was actually half of a humbucker.  The pole pieces were not magnets as is the case with typical single coils.  So although the pickup's magnetic "view" (aperture) is narrow like a single coil it doesn't really act like a true single coil.....

I have to quibble on the semantics you're using. They are "true" single coils but they aren't "typical" single coils ala Fender. The p-90 from Gibson in the 50s was built with a bar magnet and screws. I pointed this out a long time ago when I installed three VV singles on one of my S2s making it a S3.

Alex

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:00:57 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Noodler

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
Yes, Alex you're correct.  Semantics are still valid. [:D]

BTW - Nice mod on your S2.  I have DiMarzio Area pickups (basically newer versions of the older VV pickups) and they're great in the guitars I've stuck them in.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:54:23 PM by Noodler »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2009, 03:32:58 PM »
quote:

Yes, Alex you're correct.  Semantics are still valid. [:D]

BTW - Nice mod on your S2.  I have DiMarzio Area pickups (basically newer versions of the older VV pickups) and they're great in the guitars I've stuck them in.

Actually you're right those are Area pickups I thought VV meant the same thing. [;)] No hum and good single coil tone.

I do have to say though that the old single coils from the S2 are good sounding pickups. I have another S2 also modded that uses those and a dummy coil to reduce hum and it sounds great and looks stock. The Humbucker is custom where one coil is acting as the dummy coil and the other one has extra windings. The dummy coils runs in parallel with each coil the middle coil was replaced with another neck coil. Now the three single coil settings are very quiet and the 2,4 settings have a bit of hiss.

Now to get back on track I haven't seen any S3 yet? Only the blue Mojo that was around a year and a half ago. I still think they are missing the boat on that one. Let's see a S3 with Area pickups and 22 frets.

Alex

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:34:09 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2009, 07:40:08 AM »
Hey guys - I'm back in the UK now - - so I hope to post some pics later this week. I have to chime in and say the tour was great - as teeh thread says earlier - it gives a much greater understanding of the technical and economic challenges USM face in producing such a rad guitar ( inc the D-Fly) -
On the subject of single coils - I had a play and technical tour of the custom S3 made for one of USM's employee's a while back ( Bill?) - nice guy - great axe. I do believe he said they were stacked singles - but also he had one of his push/pull pots fitted for phase reversal - sounded great for the selector positions 2 and 4 for bringing out the higher harmonics. I will have to search thru the old threads about this fantastic axe.
I am now thinking very carefully about pickup choice for the custome D-Fly I am going to order. Hmm - S3-stacked with a GK3 also fitted...
Many kudos also to Nick E at USM for making sure a lovely blue/ocean sunburst/flametop Deluxe got to O'Hare in time for me to fly it home. .....apologies to Mark - I know he wanted to buy this one too !It was great to meet some of the guys on the forum and share coffee and doughnuts ( and jam a little). Cheers to Dreamsy for doing the driving to and from O'Hare :-)

Finally - Many Thanks to Terry for making the event happen - the tour was great - and the conversations very open and honest.

More stuff to follow....

Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic, Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, Sequis Motherload Elemental ( on order!)
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline Noodler

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
I actually have extensive video of Stevie Axeman playing the custom S3 guitar.  I'll post it soon (I know I'm lagging on this stuff).

The guitar Steve bought was a phenomenal custom shop Deluxe with a flame top.  He got it for pennies on the dollar considering it was a custom shop axe.  Terry said that they had accidentally built 2 for the customer and had to sit on the second one.  No surprise that one of us bought it.

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
quote:

I actually have extensive video of Stevie Axeman playing the custom S3 guitar.  I'll post it soon (I know I'm lagging on this stuff).

Any chance you can replace the audio with a King's X track?   ;-)

Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic, Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, Sequis Motherload Elemental ( on order!)
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline kurrykid

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:18 PM »
Well here is probably the final video from the 2009 factory tour (at least from me).  It is the carbon fiber process.  I will apologize upfront as my video camera battery had died and I had to use my digital camera for the recordings...then that died too [:(]

I hope you enjoy this video and have enjoyed all of the videos I've provided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nNSsY-kCzA

Dave

PM20, QB
Black P6E
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
Dave

TTB DF
"Calvary Fly" Custom Mojo Single Cut
PM20, QB
Black P6E

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »
Thanks for all the great video's Dave. I had no idea that the carbon fiber was hand cut individually for each Fly! [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline AndyI

• andyinnes.com
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
Great Stuff!

Interesting note there about the number of labour hours in a Parker Fly (36) vs the 5 and 8 for a strat and a les paul!

I love this stuff! Thanks again, Dave for all your effort in getting this up.

Andy

Fly Deluxe '96 | Fly Mojo '05 | custom '09 Artist on order | custom HSS Midi Fly on order | bronze fly on order | Mesa Boogie Roadster head + 2 x 12 / 4 x 12 | AER Compact 60 | TC Electronic G System | Lehle stereo switchers and P Split | Taylor 815ce | Taylor 410ce | Fender RR Strat | Axon AX50 | Gibson Chet Atkins SST | Takamine Nylon CP132SC |  Ovation mm68 mandolin | Roland VG-99 | TC Electronic Nova System
Solo album Anthems of a Stranger out at www.andyinnes.com or on iTunes

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »
That was a fantastic video tour snip-it.

I love this kind of thing [:p]

Don't you worry a Chinese sweatshop  will see that and start boot--legging ?

I mean I love seeing it and I know Parker has patents but I would be a little nervous.

Very interesting and thanks so much for showing the fans.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline nangillala

• http://www.kinsai-music.de
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2009, 07:05:32 AM »
I don't think it would be lucrative for such people, because of the high amount of man-power involved. They couldn't sell it that cheap. And even if they could produce a "Fly" for half the price of the original... I don't think there would be a big market for it, because when you're in for a Parker(-like) guitar you want top-notch-quality...
Looking for a Stealth - If you have one for sale please contact me.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2009, 12:34:31 PM »
Guys, there's so much great stuff referenced in this thread! Shouldn't it be made 'sticky' in a prominent place? As a new member, I've been prowling the forum for a week or two and only just found it.

The videos in particular are extremely informative. The highlight for me is in the last video referenced above, where Terry conversationally states that a production Fly involves 36 hours of work while a Les Paul requires 8 and a Strat requires 5. Whoa!

Kudos to the management team for hosting the tour, and to all of you here who attended and documented it.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers