Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official mod to fix forward lean on trem bridges  (Read 18094 times)

Offline Noodler

Official mod to fix forward lean on trem bridges
« on: October 12, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
While I was on the 2009 Factory Tour, Terry discussed the problems they were having with Flys that have too much "forward lean" in their trem bridges.  The amount of forward lean seems to vary from guitar to guitar, but in extreme cases the trem bridge was literally rubbing the wood at the front of the cavity (near the bridge pickup).  My Fly Mojo Silverburst wasn't that bad, but the bridge posts were forward to the point of contact with the wood and the bridge itself was very close.  I have also noted previously that the bridge mount is kind of wobbly - not very secure feeling until you get string tension in place.

Well Parker has come up with an official fix for this problem and I got all the necessary parts while on the tour.  I promised Terry I would document the fix and post it so here it is.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
So here is the first pic of my bridge before starting the modification.  Sorry that it's not better, but I could have sworn I already had a good shot of this issue in my archive.  Turns out that this pic wasn't all that great, but I didn't take a new one before I started the work.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:18:18 PM by Noodler »

Offline Noodler

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »
Here is the bridge cavity with the bridge removed:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:24:32 PM by Noodler »

Offline Noodler

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:25:50 PM »
Here is a side shot of the cavity.  note how the current bushings do not extend to the top of the hole where the bridge posts are normally mounted.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
So the process to install these new delrin "washers" requires removing the original bushings and then inserting the new delrin "washers" before reinstalling the bushings.  Let me tell you that removing the bushings was definitely not for the faint of heart.  I was definitely second guessing my decision to do this mod when I found that I had to exert a lot more force to remove the bushings than I had thought I would.  I used a thick wood dowel and a rubber mallet to hammer the bushing back out the back side of the guitar.

With the bushings removed I inserted the new parts and then reinstalled the bushings.  Here is the side shot with the new delrin "washer" installed.

I should add that you need to be careful when installing these new delrin "washers".  You have to measure the available hole height and ensure that the combination of the original bushing and the washer are not longer than the available space.  If they're too long, when you hammer the bushing back in flush with the back of the guitar you'll blow the delrin washer through the front of the guitar.  That wouldn't be a good thing. [:0]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:37:15 PM by Noodler »

Offline Noodler

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
By "extending" the support for the bridge posts higher in the body the posts no longer have the "free play" to lean forward.  In fact I was surprised at just how tight the coupling is now between the bridge posts and body.

Here is the new overhead pic showing the bridge post now perfectly aligned within the cavity.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
Terry stated that all new Parker Flys going out the door in the past month now have this mod being done at the factory.

After doing it myself I believe that a "better" (I hesitate to use the word better here) solution would be for Parker to start using bridge post bushings that are longer, but I guess that they have an inventory of the original bushings so this is a stop gap fix using the same available parts.  

Looking back over this thread I'm realizing that some pics of the parts might add some clarity.  Let me know what else I'm missing.  Any questions?

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
Thanks great post. Would be nice if they put those on the web site so we can buy them on line. Calling customer service for something like this is a pain. Much nicer if we can click and pay. I have a couple guitars that could benefit from that mod. I'll probably make my own bushings but for everyone else that is a winner mod.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Noodler

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »
Also note that the bushings have two different heights just like the bridge posts.  The taller parts go on the thicker (1st string) side of the guitar.  If you manage to mix these up while reinstalling the bushings very bad things will happen to the front of your guitar (ack!).

Offline Xavier

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
I have just read this post carefully , since I'll have to do the same to my guitar in a few days.

Did you have to cut / sand any excess lenght of the delrin washers?
Barcelona, Catalonia (South EU)
- 08 Fly Artist Natural
- 08 Southern Nitefly SB

Offline Noodler

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »
It turns out that the washers were the exact height needed on my guitar and no adjustments were necessary - BUT you definitely have to check this to be sure that you don't smack one through the front of your guitar when re-installing the bushing.

Re: Official mod to fix forward lean on trem bridges

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
nood- just found this post as it appears to be happening to my artist as shown in the archived photo last month in the tech section.  perhaps more attention to this difficult fix will be enlightening.  my guitar is unplayable.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »
On vacation and had some time to catch up a bit on the forum - just saw this post.  Are you all straightened out now bembamboo?

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
hi nood-thx for asking.  no progress yet.  billy has been very helpful but i have not settled on a solution.  similar to other stories here, parker was initially responsive but haven't heard back for some time now to subsequent  contacts.

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
Is this fix for USM flys or does it apply to pre USM flys as well?

I've been noticing my bridge leaning on my 1998 Deluxe for a while. It intonates fine and never rubbed, so I've been ignoring it.

Until today...a quick pull up on the bar, and an eraser sized chunk of italian plum paint popped off...