Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official mod to fix forward lean on trem bridges  (Read 18093 times)

Offline bembamboo

Re: Official mod to fix forward lean on trem bridges
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
nood-to be more clear, BILLY of our forum HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL IN SUGGESTING FIXES, not billy t (terry adtkins, of parker).

RESET-yea, i hear you.  same vintage as my ONE PIECE SPRUCE artist-98ish.  what is body wood in yer plum??  oh right, its a deluxe, so basswood.  others here have suggested the softer body woods, like spruce, and especially basswood would be more prone to the problem, but parker has been non responsive other than to say in october that "they have only seen the problem 3 times before, twice before and once since the chicago factory, if i understand correctly.  they can't see any similarities to come up with a common fix. "  (my paraphrasing)  i know ken spent a lot of time with basswood to make that body selection for the early deluxes.  my previous 95ish deluxe was perhaps the best guitar i have ever owned.  and i have owned all the good old ones.

i have seen more than three just on this forum, once you know what to look for.  the post is off center toward the nut within the vibrato bridge body route, the gap between the bridge and humbucker narrows, and any whammy use starts popping off finish forward or back. i went crazy last spring and summer trying to figure why my fly guitar wouldn't tune in rehersals.  this is what my artist looks like, as quoted from my post here in august:

"pls blow up [photo] to inspect upper bushing (low e string) lying against guitar routed body.  concerned that whammy use will pull up sitka grain along front edge of route.  http://i.imgur.com/4n57Ako.jpg 

you can blow up the photo for a very clear view of the results of tremolo bridge post forward-movement, if that is indeed what is happening."

MY GUESS is that all parker flys, including niteflys with the route program that took out too much body wood supporting the bridge posts, will or are suffering the same problem.  leaning posts.  if anyone can tell me how many guitars this might include, that would be helpful in establishing leverage with the company to assist/insist on a remedy.  (Ken says in his website that he built 30,000 instruments before selling out in 2003.)

This problem was known in-house before the 2009 factory tour where terry discusses it, so 2010s should be good.  the problem may go back to 1993, parker's 1st year, or when the company was first sold.  could be everybodys' guitars within that  1993-2009 time frame.  lotta guitars!  see my previous post here quoted below:

"Yes, it looks like in 2009 terry describes the route as leaving too little wood to support vibrato bridge posts, in this video of the factory tour, at 4:47."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnjCwa00qE

my problem is that i dont want a fly artist with a fix that compromises the original value, tonality and integrity of my near mint instrument that was intended to be the 90s solution to teles, strats, les pauls and SGs ect.  I want a correct body. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:24:02 AM by bembamboo »

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 09:29:37 AM »
this is at least the third thread discussing this potentially huge problem for many of your parkers, I anticipate.  still no further response from parker or this forum.  geez louise :'(

Offline BillyT

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
If the posts are narrower than the bushings that hold them, they can lean forward under tension. We do have Teflon bushings that can be retrofit into older guitars if care is taken. The old posts would have to be removed and the bushings would have to be installed before the bushings are reinserted. The new Teflon bushings may make the posts not seat completely so they will have to be removed and shortened on a sander before finally installing them. Make sure when reinstalling the bushings and posts you do not press them out the front of your guitar!!!
The Teflon bushings are a very tight tolerance to the posts and will not allow them to lean forward. This should improve trem function immediately and allow for more positive and stable tuning.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
We do have Teflon bushings that can be retrofit into older guitars if care is taken.

Good news! How would someone go about obtaining a set?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
thank you billy t for your attention to this matter.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:02:02 AM by bembamboo »

Offline syncopa

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
If the posts are narrower than the bushings that hold them, they can lean forward under tension. We do have Teflon bushings that can be retrofit into older guitars if care is taken. The old posts would have to be removed and the bushings would have to be installed before the bushings are reinserted. The new Teflon bushings may make the posts not seat completely so they will have to be removed and shortened on a sander before finally installing them. Make sure when reinstalling the bushings and posts you do not press them out the front of your guitar!!!
The Teflon bushings are a very tight tolerance to the posts and will not allow them to lean forward. This should improve trem function immediately and allow for more positive and stable tuning.
Since these bushings are made of Teflon, won't this make them a wear item, and really just be a temporary fix?
1998 Fly Classic, FB4 Bass, P6E acoustic, DF522 FR Dragonfly

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »
see leaning bridge discussion and reply from parker in this and various other posts here in TECH TALK and elsewhere in this forum for flys and niteflys at least, manufactured 1993-2003 (30,000 guitars) or perhaps 1993-2009, jan. 20 , 2014, from billy t (parker senior spokesman)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:10:08 PM by bembamboo »

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 07:50:39 AM »
I'd like to know how to obtain a pair or two of the bushings as well.. I currently own two 1998 Flys, and I see more in my future.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
yet another potential example of the problem. in the sixth photo the bass post clearly appears off-center leaning forward. it would be nice if parker would tell us when and why this problem is occurring, but if widespread, it could put them out of business. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Parker-Fly-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-NO-RESERVE-MADE-IN-THE-USA-/231153918623?pt=Guitar&hash=item35d1d8e29f1996 Parker Fly Deluxe Electric Guitar * NO RESERVE * MADE IN THE USA *

| Add to watch list
Seller : wes1957 (337 ) 100% Positive feedback
 Follow this seller  | See other items
Item condition:Used
“Used. Normal wear for this guitar. A few minor paint chips (shown in photo) in front of bridge.”
Time left: 6d 22h (Feb 14, 2014 14:08:40 PST)
Starting bid:US $499.00
[ 0 bids ]

Place bid
 Enter US $499.00 or more
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:07:06 PM by bembamboo »

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
nood, reset, syber and synco-

order parts mentioned below from parker customer service and they will mail them for free.  see my post today in the similar thread i started april 2013, but this thread raises the following.

contrary to nood's october 2009 experience, the washers received from parker are teflon, not"delrin" and are identical in size for either bridge post, so far.  i haven't hired a tech yet nor have i been inside the bridge assembly.  nood's photos would have been helpful.

parker has not been clear as to the reason for the leaning posts that require the teflon washers nor whether the 2009 "delrin" mod is the same. 

if a design flaw, as suggested by the CNC program change in about 2009, then perhaps "modification" is what is required.  if the bridge posts lean due to wood softness, then this is merely a "repair" as billy, forum member has suggested in my thread.  BILLY T seems here to suggest a mismatch in bridge post size with the receiving bushing (or "boss" as alex has called it in a related thread) causes the need for a "retrofit" to solve the lean and intonation problem, using the teflon washer which he also calls a "bushing".  lot of imprecise terminology and lack of understanding of the problem.

and as a design flaw, it could date from 1993 or subsequently, or from 2003 when Ken Parker sold the company (i hope to hear back from him) but nood suggested guitars made since 2009 incorporate the "delrin" mod.  these dates are all mentioned above and in other threads but they are just guesses to some degree.  parker obviously knows the dates and numbers of guitars affected.  what does this do to the resale market?   

finally, i'm wondering out loud if the bridge height adjustment will be compromised by addition of the teflon washers.  anybody have access to a bridge assembly schematic for this process??
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:21:31 PM by bembamboo »

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• Norway Road
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 06:30:28 AM »
Any chance Noodler can update the links to his photos?

I bought my Deluxe new in 2001, and didn't figure out until sometime later that it was made in '98.  After all this time, the only blemish is at the lefthand corner of the bridge, where it leaned too far and caused maybe a nanometer-wide chip in the paint.  This has recently grown to a width of two nanometers, but it still bothers me a little.  If your Fly has a lot of "wear and tear" then you're doing it wrong, and you don't deserve a nice guitar or the money you wasted on it.  Mine has regularly hung on the wall by its upper bout, been played outdoors and at some pretty rough gigs, biker parties, garage jams, and so on.  If I didn't point out the nick by the bridge, you'd think it was brand new.

Anyone know if Shazrock does minor touch-ups?  Will they be offering the bridge mod?
1998 Parker Fly Deluxe BP
1993 Parker Fly Deluxe Hardtail RP
2007 Hagstrom Swede
1987 Fender acoustic/electric
1960 Fender Dual Six Stringmaster
Arturia MiniBrute
Waldorf Blofeld
Line 6 POD HD500X
JMF Spectra 30T

Offline billy

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
If you're installing these, post some pix to help your friends here!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
Hey, Noodler - when I sign into this board, none of you pictures on this subect are appearing at all.  I have been gone for a while, but now I'm back, and would really like to find out how to fix this problem (NiteFly SA).
---Mikhael...
             ***Parker and Godin - at least they tried something new...

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »
hi folks-i have the problem too, as mentioned, on my remaining fly, a 98 artist.  started appearing last spring i think, noticed the ball bridge posts werent centered, then feared vibrato use would dig into body wood, then put the tuning problems i had been having together.  thought it was just me.  wrote ken for a comment on the "fix". no response.  parker sent me delrin washers last month.  don't know what to do (so i bought a strat). these were ken parker era guitars then and i believe there is a warranty of merchantibility regardless of age.

i agree, many photos i see that i can blow up show the same problem.  i think parker needs to provide the years and models when this is a problem so we all know what we have in our guitars, flys, niteflys ect..  there also needs to be more info on the two or more variations of vibratos that exist.

i want to know what precisely created the problem.  wood type, route parameters, vibrato variations, age, stresses possible??
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:24:57 PM by bembamboo »

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »
nitefly thread-

Re: Nitefly bridge migration
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
I have this problem too.  The pickguard on the lower E side is cracked to the humbucker pickup opening.   I just changed string guages and now can't intonate. 

The Nitelfy uses the same bridge holder posts as the Fly? 

Is that Delrin washer supposed to enlarge the diameter of the two bridge holder posts? 
Wish those pictures were still up!!