Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official mod to fix forward lean on trem bridges  (Read 18092 times)

Offline bembamboo

Re: Official mod to fix forward lean on trem bridges
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »

Re: Nitefly bridge migration
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:21:03 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove
we need to put pressure on parker so they fully explain the problem, its history, what bridges are leaning, and its fixes.  so far they are sending out two plastic washers and telling us, don't push too hard!!!!!!

this problem could be huge and may go back to ken's original design, or a mis-programmed CNC program, or  a particular bridge version,...who knows what else it could be, soft body wood like basswood or spruce??  the people with the answers aren't talking.    i think since 50s  gibson les paul jrs. did it, parker may think it can get away with pedaling a poor leaning bridge design and get away with it by smoke and mirrors.  a one year warranty does not preclude an implied warranty of merchantability in the law. 

i am assuming that i will get banned or locked with this information.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:34:31 AM by bembamboo »

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
bembamboo, this is your guitar, correct...?

I might be willing to take that defective instrument off your hands so you can use the funds to buy one without any issues. How much would you take for it (plus the replacement bushings that you haven't installed)? What other dings or blemishes are there besides the one seen near the balance wheel? Do you also have a case or gig bag or anything else to go with it?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
G'day from Australia!
Just received my 2013 Mojo - I spent a few days trying to get the darn thing to stay in tune and eventually got the problem down to the Sperzels, of all things! Replaced them with Gotohs and now it purrs and dips and stays in tune. I promise i drilled the holes real neat like. Maybe a new thread with photos soon or something.

Here's a photo of the bridge - Do I need to worry about forward bridge lean? I'd say there's about 1.5mm gap between the front of the bridge and the bridge cavity's edge. The posts are visibly forward in relation to the cavity, but nothing is scraping just yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jack

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 08:58:44 AM »
If it intonates fine and doesn't rub, don't worry about it.

But....I can't fathom there being an issue with Sperzels that causes tuning issues. What was wrong with them? Maybe a new thread on that topic...

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »
It doesn't rub yet... Fully depressed vibrato makes it a completely indiscernible gap though.. And intonation could be better, I just had to adjust them all as the twelfth fret played sharp - would like to be able to put them back at factory - what is involved in correcting the bridge lean for a 2013 model? The bridge also doesn't sit perfectly flat. Minor annoyance, but for $4000... It's an annoyance.

The sperzels has stripped gears, which were under pressure until until vibrato use allowed them to rotate sharp slightly - it was a visible movement and not the first time I've seen it in sperzels, and replacing them with standard tuners fixed the problem instantly. They're not the magic tuner everyone thinks them to be, just more moving parts to fail - I'll detail why in a longer thread gushing about my parker later tonight. same goes for that graphtech nut everyone loves so much! It might not feel like plastic, it might not be marketed as plastic, and it might be harder than plastic, but to your strings, when they're strying to slide through the nut - it's plastic. Nothing like a buffalo horn nut (which can be sourced ethically by the way)to replace the black graphtech.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
It doesn't rub yet... Fully depressed vibrato makes it a completely indiscernible gap though..

Pretty much the same for the majority of old Flys (like mine) that are still working fine.

...would like to be able to put them back at factory - what is involved in correcting the bridge lean for a 2013 model?

Read the previous posts in this thread and check to see if your guitar has the bushing inserts. If it doesn't, contact Parker to get a set. If it has them already, then... hmmm...

The bridge also doesn't sit perfectly flat. Minor annoyance, but for $4000... It's an annoyance.

You can make it sit flatter if that's your priority. It's all about how you choose to balance the string tension with the spring force. IMO, other aspects of the bridge setup are more important.

The sperzels has stripped gears...

All of them? Yikes!

... which were under pressure until until vibrato use allowed them to rotate sharp slightly - it was a visible movement and not the first time I've seen it in sperzels, and replacing them with standard tuners fixed the problem instantly. They're not the magic tuner everyone thinks them to be, just more moving parts to fail - I'll detail why in a longer thread gushing about my parker later tonight.

Interesting stance.

same goes for that graphtech nut everyone loves so much! It might not feel like plastic, it might not be marketed as plastic, and it might be harder than plastic, but to your strings, when they're strying to slide through the nut - it's plastic. Nothing like a buffalo horn nut (which can be sourced ethically by the way)to replace the black graphtech.

Another interesting stance.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
It's just fandom, like with Apple products. They're good, and they work for a lot of people, but they're not the best or most logical way to do it, and they can break more readily than other designs. A sperzel has more moving parts than a gotoh - wrap the string around a normal non-locking tuner like this... http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4838-quot-Locking-quot-guitar-strings-on-non-locking-tuners ... And you've removed moving parts from the line of fire that can strip, go loose and give play. Tuning isn't lost in winds around the peghead once the string is seated, that's a myth - plus if you really want to have half a wrap with this method, you can. I've played all sorts of guitars, acoustic and electric, floyds stetsbars fenders Ibanez, bigsbys and heaps of aftermarket trems, for a living, years of my life, stage and street, and hammered all of them with around 10 hours performance time per week, sperzels, other lockers, non lockers, even those weird ass steinberger banjo style tuners (which are pretty nice by the way). The method above works the most consistently, hands down, I've never broken a string at the tuner and it gives you less factors that can mess up your tuning. I also stay in tune, all the time, and this parker is letting me live on the trem - believe me, drilling the headstock broke my heart but it's worth it for the tuning stability. If sperzels work for you and don't strip, then all power to you; they look great, they have a nice stagger to them, they suit heaps of instruments and they're easy to get everywhere, but if you buy them for functionality, there's no point. Probably asking for crucifixion from the rest of the forum here, but I've never spoken to an experienced tech who disagreed.

Thanks so much for the help re:bushings, I'll do my forum lurking and see if the bridge could benefit from attention!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
Well, I have no religious devotion to any particular type of tuner. I use whatever was provided on the instrument (yes, even the original Kluson tuners on the SG), and only my Fly has Sperzels. They work fine, and they're convenient - no complaints.

Offline billy

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
wrap the string around a normal non-locking tuner like this... http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4838-quot-Locking-quot-guitar-strings-on-non-locking-tuners

Tuning isn't lost in winds around the peghead once the string is seated, that's a myth - plus if you really want to have half a wrap with this method, you can.

I use this on classicals, also on non locking non trem guitars.

But I disagree about tuning issues around the peg head otherwise, especially when a whammy is involved without a locknut. 

Loosen the strings with a dive and they can bind differently than they were against other wraps as they tighten up again, usually sharp, especially the round wound strings, and when you have wraps over wraps.

By all means do what you feel works best for you and your guitar, I just want to be clear about what I mean.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
You're right billy. Wrapping on the peg on a Fly is wrong. Align the hole in the peg the direction of the neck. Pull the string through the hole and hold taught, tighten string lock screw, then tune to pitch. The less string above the nut the less influence it will have on tuning. The tighter the bend tension will be as well. The only exception to this on a Fly is if you have Drop D tuner to get that to work properly you have to start with the hole in the tuner peg set at 90 degrees from the neck.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »
All I know is that the sperzels on there originally didn't hold tune, the replacement set didn't hold tune, and the non locking gotohs I put on are holding it perfectly in floating mode with dive bombs and dragonforce-style abuse. The method I use ends up giving me no wraps around the post... To each their own though, the guitar I built in 2010 has a stetsbar and sperzels which I swore by at the time, and it plays in tune well enough to gig with. Sorry to derail the thread!

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »
syber - do you actually play professionally or do you just flip 'em?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »
syber - do you actually play professionally or do you just flip 'em?

Neither. I'm happy with the instruments listed in my signature - especially my 13-year-old Fly - and I play them for enjoyment.

I publicly offered to buy yours and put a stop to your endless whining about bridge posts in threads all over this forum. I don't even want it. It just needs to be removed from your hands by somebody -  anybody.

You've got the replacement bushings, which you refuse to install. Or you could sell the guitar and move on. But no - you'd rather just gripe forever about how miserable your situation is. Look at yourself and figure out what's wrong with the picture.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 11:55:22 PM »
hey shep-u anywhere near townsville?  friends and family there!!

the leaning posts are a defective marriage between the wood and the posts.  parker refuses to explain the problem to customers.  they don't remain vertical, then lean forward over time from string pressure, ever so slowly intonation goes to sheit on the $4000 guitar and they'll send yah "for free" (bob dylan cynicism) two black plastic washers (.45 cents??) to force up between the wooden body and the post so resonance changes.  sorry 'bout that.

good observation about the posts off center forward in the post routs.  every single one of us from the 90s to now need to carefully examine and monitor this, and demand parker 1.) fix the problem design, and 2.) come up with a repair that does not compromise the tone and value of the sick guitars.

comments above belittling the problem, "don't worry if it doesn't rub" bilge will lead you to trouble.  eventually the bridge will contact the body and vibrato use will pop out chucks of finish or wood.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:55:02 PM by bembamboo »

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 12:37:10 AM »
hey shep-u anywhere near townsville?  friends and family there!!

the leaning posts are a defective marriage between the wood and the posts.  parker refuses to explain the problem to customers.  they don't remain vertical, then lean forward over time from string pressure, ever so slowly intonation goes to sheit on the 4000 guitar and they'll send yah "for free" (bob dylan cynicism) two black plastic washers (.45 cents??) to force up between the wooden body and the post so resonance changes.  sorry 'bout that.

good observation about the posts off center forward in the post routs.  every single one of us from the 90s to now need to carefully examine and monitor this, and demand parker 1.) fix the problem design, and 2.) come up with a repair that does not compromise the tone and value of the sick guitars.

comments above belittling the problem, "don't worry if it doesn't rub" bilge will lead you to trouble.  eventually the bridge will contact the body and vibrato use will pop out chucks of finish or wood.
Thanks for the info! How do I go about ordering these washers? Love to push them to fix the problem but it looks like it's too late on my mojo