Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strat v. Artist  (Read 2014 times)

Offline bembamboo

Strat v. Artist
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
Playing my artist live the other night, sometimes half step lower than A440, I am over vibrato-ing, over playing, pulling chords out of tune with too much finger pressure, and am finding the hard tailed strat with slightly heavier strings is better to play.  They both have 25 1/2 scales, so the fly plays too well for me and I ca't play it as well over all.

I don't like this cause the fly is my main guitar and I refuse to go back to this ancient technolgy of fender/gibson guitars.  I don't have a gibson these days.

I am wondering about string length. Gretch players with bixbeys love the extra string length.  Maybe though its the fly vibrato that gives me problems.

Strat v. Artist

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Strat v. Artist
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
Why not bump up a string size ?

I did the same thing when I first started with 9's--even bending bar chords by accident. But I have mostly acclimated now and since I suck anyway, its kind of hard to tell.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Strat v. Artist

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
Strat v. Artist
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:02:38 PM »
I play at standard tuning with 10-46 strings and the tension is great - just the right tone/stability. I've never thought that playing the Fly with 9-42 strings. But, the more I played the fly with 9's the more stable it felt - it could have taken a few weeks for me to get used to it.

Strat v. Artist

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Strat v. Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:18:03 AM »
Hmmm, I'm with Bill's idea.
stringGauge++; [;)]

Greetings...
Nef

Strat v. Artist

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Strat v. Artist
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »
I use D'Addario XL120+ strings, .0095 thru .044 (9-1/2 gage). They work pretty well on my Mojo Nitefly, but I know that uses conventional springs, so it might not work as well on a Fly. But they work without having to mess with the slots on the nut at all. At least on my own guitar.

What I like about the XL120+ strings is that they sound fuller than 8s or 9s, and are easier to bend than the 10 gage strings are. Nice compromise, IMO. I've been using them exclusively for like ten years now.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
http://improvisingguitarists.ning.com/profile/PaulMarossy
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:46:57 AM by Paul Marossy »

Strat v. Artist

Offline bembamboo

Strat v. Artist
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »
yeah, I don't want to mess with the nut.  thank you.

Strat v. Artist

Offline bembamboo

Strat v. Artist
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »
oh, and the vibrato is in nuetral, up and down.  I know its part of the problem but if I'm gonna have a vibrato, don't like down only.  Want a "perfect" stock vibrato but floyd rose types are too much action.  Haven't tried Music Man or PRS much.  Love Fender's Mustang, feels just right, hard to keep tuned though. Probably would be happier with a hardtail artist. just musing, whineing!