Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Worth the effort  (Read 3248 times)

Offline mountaindewaddict

Worth the effort
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »
Hey guys, the other day I was in the local music shop, and chatting with "Z," the owner.  He knows I'm a Fly guy (he said, "You're the one that plays a Fly right?  You're the only one I know.  I'm glad you like them, but I think they look like crap.").  

I said, "have you seen the new DragonFly?"  Of course, he hadn't, but he had a copy of the new Musicians Friend (which has a full page review of the D-Fly).  I showed him the page, and his response was: "Whoa - that's a lot better... I'll look at that later."

My point is, Terry (and crew), I think all the effort to develop the DragonFly will pay off eventually.  Even Parker bashers are starting to take a second look.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Worth the effort

Offline danjazzny

Worth the effort
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:19:20 AM »
Who knows, if they try a DragonFly and like it, they'll probably eventually try a Fly and love it! [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Worth the effort

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
Worth the effort
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:33:16 AM »
Just curious... What's the retail price on these things?
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Worth the effort

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
Worth the effort
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:03:29 AM »
Hey Casey - When did you swap your P-38 for a Fly? I've missed a lot of stuff lately due to being really busy these days... It would be interesting to get your impressions of the differences in another thread...

Anyways - Ya, I saw some threads on the DragonFly going on - actually there looked like some angst on those threads so I ignored them after reading a few posts. I did just took a look at the DragonFly and I really like the new look a lot and the features. Pretty cool developments - I think the direction they're going there is great.

As far as people not liking the look of the Fly - I've never understood the reaction. I think the Strat and Les Paul have always been my favorites, but the Fly's look is just plain cool: I'm not sure how Ken Parker came up with those lines, but they are pretty bold. The DragonFly's softer lines are nice - I wonder what the back shape is - that's one of the most significant things about the Fly IMO. The HSS pickup config could be a real crowd pleaser too.

Worth the effort

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Worth the effort
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »
mojotron: "I wonder what the back shape is"
The back of a Dragonfly is just about the same as your regular Fly. Check the pictures the guys took at the last Parker factory tour, there are some examples (from what I can remember).

Other than that I second mountaindewaddict. Thanks to Terry and his crew we'll soon have yet another beautiful guitar to drool after, ever broadening the Parker palette both in body shape and in tone. If quality control do their homework and keep at a high standard the rest should see to itself and we should have an instant winner.

Looking forward to playing one some day. Buying even? Custom ordering...? [;)]

Greetings...
Nef

Worth the effort

Offline Noodler

Worth the effort
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
We can only pray that everyone has the same reaction to the DragonFly - expect some big things from NAMM 2010 (right around the corner now).  The Parker brand's survival depends on this new model in a major way (unfortunately) - so talk it up with your friends and over the interweb.  We kind of need to play the role of foot soldiers and evangelists to help get the word out.  Many people have already long written Parker off and they won't check back unless prodded.

BTW - It was great to see that full page write-up for the Dragon in the MF catalog.  That has to do some good for sales.  Now we just need to get Parker to put a more realistic price on it so that the uptake in volume makes up for the difference.  IMO it has to be priced just below USA-built Les Pauls and preferably right around where the top end Fenders sit.