Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Email notification?  (Read 4879 times)

Offline ParkerRocks

Email notification?
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
Does anybody know if this has been enabled forum wide?
I've seen it if FAQs but don't have that icon on my screen.
I've searched and found posts with people asking about it but no answers.
I've emailed one of the moderators some time ago and he answered he's not using it personally and doesn't know anything more about it.

So does anyone know more about mystery of email notification? Please?

Email notification?

Offline danjazzny

Email notification?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
I have the icon on my screen. It's a sheet of paper with an open envelope in front of it. Should I send you an e-mail to see if it works?

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Email notification?

Offline ParkerRocks

Email notification?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
Thanks but I think I have the one you're talking about.
I was thinking this (found in forum FAQ):

Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts?
Yes, the Subscription feature allows you to subscribe to the entire Board, individual Categories, Forums and/or Topics, depending on what the administrator of this site allows. You will receive an e-mail notifying you of a post that has been made to the Category/Forum/Topic that you have subscribed to. There are four levels of subscription:

- Board Wide Subscription
If you can subscribe to an entire Board, you'll get a notification for any posts made within all the forums inside that board.

- Category Wide Subscription
You can subscribe to an entire Category, which will notify you if there was any posts made within any topic, within any forum, within that Category.

- Forum Wide Subscription
If you don't want to subscribe to an entire Category, you can subscribe to a single forum. This will notify you of any posts made within any topic, within that forum.

- Topic Wide Subscription
More conveniently, you can subscribe to just an individual topic. You will be notified of any post made within that topic.
Each level of subscription is optional. The administrator can turn On/Off each level of subscription for each Category/Forum/Topic.
To Subscribe or Unsubscribe from any level of subscription, you can use the "My Subscriptions" link, located near the top of each page to manage your subscriptions. Or you can click on the subscribe/unsubscribe icons ( ) for that Category/Forum/Topic you want to subscribe/unsubscribe to/from.

Email notification?

Offline danjazzny

Email notification?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that. [?]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Email notification?

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Email notification?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »
I wish they did have email notification enabled. Then I wouldn't have to keep babysitting my posts when I am interested in seeing any replies. I would just get an email telling me that someone replied to my post. Every other forum I am on has this feature. This forum is kind of the oddball in that respect.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:15:05 PM by Paul Marossy »

Email notification?

Offline ParkerRocks

Email notification?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

I wish they did have email notification enabled. Then I wouldn't have to keep babysitting my posts when I am interested in seeing any replies. I would just get an email telling me that someone replied to my post. Every other forum I am on has this feature. This forum is kind of the oddball in that respect.

OK, well then that's that, a deffinitive answer. Still weird that they have a mention of it in FAQs and mods don't offer any explanations why it's not enabled.
I admire you guys with high post count because just like you said you have to baby sit all your posts all the time. It's gotta be confusing at times. I would probably frequent more to the forum if it had the feature.
Cool, well thanks Paul.
D

Email notification?

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Email notification?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:27:43 PM »
I hate to play contrarian again but I think email notification is a huge pain in the behind. I get too many emails already.

This forum instead has the feature of " Active Topics". So after logging into the forum just click on "Active Topics" and it will display only the threads that were posted since the last time you logged on.

This feature makes keeping up quick and easy. I just check in every day or 2 and knock out the topics I am interested in.

That way, no matter what topics you did or didn't decide to open, the forum will not show them to you again the next time you check in and hit "Active Topics".

This makes keeping up very quick.

I really prefer this over getting another dozen emails a day.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:33:46 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Email notification?

Offline Paul Marossy

Email notification?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
Well, I'm not sure if this Snitz forum works the same way as the other ones I belong to (phpBB), but on the other forums YOU can choose whether or not you want email notification. You can even do it per topic if you want.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Email notification?

Offline ParkerRocks

Email notification?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:39:52 PM »
Well there are ways to manage it sure, but if I received an email that somebody posted on this thread I'd have tried to find time to visit and respond earlier. My work isn't such that I'm close to comp daily and at home sometimes I just don't feel like turning it on.
You make good point Bill, I don't think it's contrarian but that suits you. Like Paul said choice would be nice. My way now is to view my profile and see if folder color changed on the threads that show.
I was just confused ever since I joined here re notification. I wasn't sure if I needed to hit a certain post count to have that feature activated or I'm experiencing a brain fart or what? Why don't they just remove the section from FAQs where they explain how it's done?
I'm glad I know for sure what's up. Now I'm gonna pour another bourbon I picked up today and get back to my practice w/Parker
Cheers,
D

Email notification?

Offline bodde

Email notification?
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

Sorry to bump this topic but I am new to this forum and have the same problem. The FAQ's say you can get email notification but I don't see the subscription icon anywhere.
Why is that? and how can I subscribe?

PARKER FLY ARTIST 3TSB 2007
2007 PARKER FLY ARTIST 3TSB (SOLD)
2006 PARKER FLY MOJO BLUE FLAME (SOLD)

Email notification?

Offline Paul Marossy

Email notification?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
The forum administrators have to change that setting on THEIR end. They refuse to do so for whatever reason, so it is DISABLED. So we are stuck with it the way it is. We just have to deal with it.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Email notification?

Offline Erik Magrini

• http://tarekith.com
Email notification?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Another user wishing for this.

Email notification?

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Email notification?
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 02:12:22 AM »
I like the Active Topics feature a lot. Being able to see every change since last login is ideal for me and it helps in making me read (or at least flick through) all new posts and updates. I've never been a friend of e-mail notifications in forums because it lets you forget about the other posts that might also be very interesting. Also I'm even e-mail-lazier than just regular lazy. But obviously sometimes it can be quite useful too. I can definitely live without it but it wouldn't hurt to enable the feature if it's just a switch in the admin panel.

Greetings...
Nef

Email notification?

Offline Erik Magrini

• http://tarekith.com
Email notification?
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »
Email notifications per post are useful, if you're selling something or post a question you need help with.  I wouldn't want it for every topic, but the option for low-traffic topics is really nice.