Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The best clean tones are dirty ones  (Read 4008 times)

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
The best clean tones are dirty ones
« on: December 10, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »
So I used EV EVM12L speakers and had the cleanest of clean tones. But something never sounded right. Now I have a hemp cone speaker and keep my overdrive on 95% of the time and couldn't be happier with my "clean tones". I roll the volume back a bit sometimes and the tone back a bit and hit chords with a nice warm sound on the verge of break up but never quite getting fuzzy. And leads with volume full one still seem clean and crisp. I really dig my "clean tones" now much more than having a pure clean sound with EV and no OD.

Anyone else doing stuff like this?
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »
Cool. What speaker exactly?

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 07:16:52 AM »
Right now I'm using an Eminence Cannabis Rex. I really like the tone of this speaker.
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:51:09 AM »
One of the nicest slightly overdriven tones I get is to run a DIY FuzzFace I made - more similar to a Fulltone '69 - with the fuzz down most of the way and the volume up nearly to the max.

Another thing I found with my Mesa/Boogie .22+ amp is that the EVM12L in that amp was great, but did not really have any 'compressive' tones until played extremely loud. Most speakers will have some level of distortion that sounds to me like a very slight compressor - think Orange Squeeze - at a loud volume, but some speakers will do this a lower volumes.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:09:39 AM »
Yeah, I have always been hesitant about too much compression, but I think I may be brave enough to try a little more compressive speaker now(think alnico). I used Distortion and OD pedals for years that compressed my sound too much. Now that I have a great OD pedal and open clean amp I think I might like to try a different speaker. I agree about the EVM12L but had never thought about it from a compressive stand point as I usually think of it from a break up stand point.
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline mojotron

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lucgravely

Yeah, I have always been hesitant about too much compression, but I think I may be brave enough to try a little more compressive speaker now(think alnico). I used Distortion and OD pedals for years that compressed my sound too much. Now that I have a great OD pedal and open clean amp I think I might like to try a different speaker. I agree about the EVM12L but had never thought about it from a compressive stand point as I usually think of it from a break up stand point.

Yep speaker distortion is simply getting the speaker to be less responsive in a musical way. Volume does this and I'm guessing a less efficient magnet like an alnico, or perhaps less ridged materials would do the same thing at a much lower volume. I tend to use Vintage 30's on most amps/cabs - I've never really analyzed this, but there are some speakers that I really like a lot more than others. The EVM12L is one of my favorites too if I was going to play a small combo kind of maxed out. I think they must have made those speakers to project in a really wide spectrum; where other speakers may get really flabby sounding.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:48:55 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mojotron
[brYep speaker distortion is simply getting the speaker to be less responsive in a musical way. Volume does this and I'm guessing a less efficient magnet like an alnico, or perhaps less ridged materials would do the same thing at a much lower volume.

My favorite amp lately is my '64 Gregory Mark X with a digital reverb that I added to it. Anyway, it's a 1x12 combo with about 12 to 15 watts of output power (pair of EL84s). It has a 20 watt OEM Eminence alnico speaker in it, and it really sounds great. If I'm playing clean and I want a little dirt, I just hit the strings a little harder. I know the speaker is part of that equation, in addition to the circuitry. I typically have the amp at about 50% volume at the place where I normally play at.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:51:19 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline mojotron

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »
I put a really beefy Celestion G12K-100 in a '66 Deluxe Reverb once. Though I'm sure it's a great speaker in the right amp/cab - but it made a great amp sound awful until I put the musty old Oxford back in.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:01:36 PM by mojotron »

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mojotron

I put a really beefy Celestion G12K-100 in a '66 Deluxe Reverb once. Though I'm sure it's a great speaker in the right amp/cab - but it made a great amp sound awful until I put the musty old Oxford back in.

I have some Oxfords in my '73 Twin Reverb. I think they actually sound very nice. They're definitely very broken in. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Mr. Wonderful

• http://www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:50:41 PM »
try a bbe opto stomp. very transparent and analogue sounding. and darn useful for that "kinda clean" tone everybody loves

www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
 the , "weddings during wartime" and "baby baby" were both recorded with one of my pm 20's
p 38 black w/pearloid (named pearl), pm 20 in bubinga (3+3, named bubba), pm 20 tangerine (hockey stick, named crush)
www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
 the , "weddings during wartime" and "baby baby" were both recorded with one of my pm 20's
p 38 black w/pearloid (named pearl), pm 20 in bubinga (3+3, named bubba), pm 20 tangerine (hockey stick, named crush)

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »
try a clean tube amp on ten thru an 18" speaker.  actually sounds pretty good at times.  stan said the other day that marc farner uses them live.