Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dimarzio's and parkers???  (Read 2591 times)

Offline carscratchmelt

dimarzio's and parkers???
« on: March 26, 2005, 06:48:40 PM »
hey can anyone tell me what the spacing is for the fly classics!!!! I need to know... I am going to get rid of the air norton and put in a paf pro... I need to know if the neck is "f-spacing"???? thanks
“ I was born on a Sunday...by Thursday I had me a job”

Jack Wilson
-Graphics-
Flatwork Printing Service, est. 1986

#65532;

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:16:48 PM »
If you go to Dimarzio's website and look up the section on OEM pickups read about the Parker pickups. You have quite a few options on models that you can put in the Parker with no modification necessary. There is a couple of other threads on this subject currently on the forum. Some of the guys have tried different combinations and some have been happy and some haven't. Be sure to read the comments and check out Dimarzio's website.

Good Luck.

Kevin S.
www.burningindecember.com
Kevin Schertell
www.burningindecember.com
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

Offline Chaoshumor

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 09:14:06 AM »
Yeah, they have to be "custom made" so that they'll fit into your fly. One of the few draw backs for the Fly series.
If it's not a Parker... Then it's just a guitar.

Offline carscratchmelt

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 02:38:19 PM »
but are they " f-spaced" or standard. I am going to get some stock dimarzios and jusr swap out the coils and mounting screws I just want to be sure of the spacing...why spend 120.00 for pickups when I can spend like 40.00???

Jack Wilson
-Graphics-

#65532;

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 03:16:54 PM »
I just measured them with my digital calipers and they are very close to F spaced. But I don't know if that is good enough. The two screws that hold the pickups in go into brass inserts set in the Fly's body if the screws are off just a few thousandths they might not fit. I changed to a custom set I ordered from Dimarzio last week and there is virtually no slop in the holes in the pickup bobbins so the fit has to be perfect if you want to mount them as stock. Ordering them from Dimarzio costs $200 not $120. Also you might be seriously disappointed using run of the mill Dimarzios. I was told by Eric at Dimarzio that since I wanted my pickups to be darker and more powerful that I had only one choice and that was the new standard Parker pickup according to him they are the darkest highest output pickup that will fit in the cavity. You buy off the shelve pickup they might be deeper and unless you want to take a router to your fly you can't mount a deeper coil in there. Unless of course you run a high action. I mounted my new pickups without the foam backing as I wanted the pickups farther away then I was able to get with the foam for more harmonic content. So they are mounted solid against the wood in the pocket and I am really happy with the sound. I also use as low an action as possible.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 04:56:17 PM »
gosh, how much deeper can you go before you run out of material to router?  i'd seriously consider spending the extra $100.  if you mess up your parker permanently, you could be out a lot more than that.  at the very least, make all measurements twice, and take your time talking to dimarzio.  keep in mind that the materials used in a parker sound different from the generic poplar/alder/ash and maple used in conventional guitars, so you may want to think carefully before you do anything permanent.

good luck

Offline carscratchmelt

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »
well... 200.00!? I get stuff at cost or a little over most times...so 120.00 is a fair assertion if I were going to replace two pickups...but I'm not i am just going to replace the neck pickup because well...it stinks...it is way toooooo dark...it is a mahoghany body for heaven's sake. I have the origional run of the dimarzio parker pickups...air norton/tonezone. The tone zone is alright but I recoed into my macintosh and use a vox tonelab and the neck is way too muddy... due to effects and it's sheer darkness/muddiness. I need something a little chimier...and crisp. If I wanted "warmth" I can play my telecaster. So... as a result I am gonna put a new neck humbucker in... if it is "close" to f-spaced than opposed to standard then I know what to do...

Jack Wilson
-Graphics-

#65532;

Offline carscratchmelt

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 02:46:33 PM »
okay okay okay... dimarzio defines f-spacing as being from the middle of the pole piece( 1 ) to the middle of the pole piece ( 6 )... as measuring 51mm and standard spacing as having a measurment of 48mm... parkers measure 51mm... the neck and bridge both... just in case anyone was wondering PARKERS ARE F-SPACED!!!!

Jack Wilson
-Graphics-

#65532;

Offline Binner

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 02:39:44 PM »
I have ordered pickups from Dimarzio for the Fly, they are F-spaced. Just tell them what you want and mention its for a Fly and they will square you away.
'97 Fly Classic with Steve's Special/Air Norton
'05 Mojo Flame (Green) with SD Distortion/Jazz
'03 Parker 5-String (Natural) Duncan AJB-5s
'89 Hamer with Sustainiac
'95 Ovation Standard Elite (Green Burst)
'98 Ovation Balladeer (Red burst)
PRS Custom 24
Fender American Deluxe Strat
a bunch of Jacksons
a bunch of Charvels
a bunch of Peaveys (Vandenbergs)
Mesa RoadKing II
Mesa Mark IV Long Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
Mesa F-30
Mesa 4x12
Peavey Triple X 2x12