Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No more custom shop, no more top shelf guitars?  (Read 8235 times)

Offline Nigel Tufnel

No more custom shop, no more top shelf guitars?
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
So I was just talking to a Parker dealer who told me Parker is doing away with the custom shop altogether, and is ditching the Fly Artist and Fly Supreme. I hate to hear this, but I can't say I'm really surprised. Those of you who have stupid amounts of money to spend will be pleased to know that (for now) they're keeping the signature models... but it seems that Adrian Belew himself is the only person who can get his hands on an AB guitar that's in decent shape-and his twang bars fall off and electronics cut out...

Parker has made the same mistake that a lot of other now-extinct companies have made: faced with economic hard times, the first cuts came in quality of construction, followed closely by trashing the advertising budget, and introducing more import models, thus de-valuing the brand name as a whole. Now they're dismantling the primary reason many of us play Parkers to begin with. I hope they realize their mistake in time to avoid extinction, but so few ever do: they hold fiercely to the belief that "we're special- it'll never happen to us!"

Come on, guys- let's see some magazine ads. Pimp your a$$e$ for new dealers- your dealer network stinks ba11s. Stand behind the product you put out, but build to a standard that will stand for itself! Let's see some new faces. And some old faces, too! What'll it cost you to do that? A couple of guitars, versus mothballing the whole line??? Not a real tough call from where I stand.

I don't want to see the planet's greatest guitars become an eBay-only item, but when they do, I'm afraid that USM will have pi55ed off and driven off enough formerly loyal players that nobody will even care.

"Never, EVER buy weed from Lando Calrissian."

Owner/Operator:
Fly Artist Trans Cherry Burst, Fly Mojo Solar Flare, Fly Deluxe Lime Gold, Fly Supreme Quilt "Hellfire,"  '65 Galanti Grand Prix, Quilt Maple Carvin 12-String  
"Never, EVER buy weed from Lando Calrissian."

Artist Trans Cherry Burst, Blue Gator P-38, Carvin 12-String Quilt, and a whole bunch of Kiesel customs, in hopes that Parker someday gets their $#!T together again.

Offline tildeslash

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:33:36 PM »
Dealers can be douches so can someone from Parker confirm this?

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »
Billy T

Please tell us it aint so.

The Artist is my favorite.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »
I just don't want to believe this. [:0][V]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:53:58 AM »
It would be very sad, very very sad. And by doing this, the price of the used (pre-refined) would raise exponentially...

---------
Pregno Splatter
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
Boss GT-10
VOX AC30CC2X
(more gear on my website)
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline www_Ps_com

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 04:01:47 AM »
LOL, I don't think so. Parker has become a brand no one really cares about anymore. Look at the facts:

- The Parker forum continues to shrink, lots of users turned their back to it in recent times, we only have like 10 regular users left here, a couple of them don't seem to miss an opportunity to bash the brand.
- Parker guitars hardly are discussed on other guitar-related forums,
- they are not availlable in most stores (especially in europe),
- they mainly endorse low-profile artist (Belew, Reid, Schauss, Martone) that don't have much of a following these days,
- prices for used Flys already are rather low (this doesn't indicate a high demand)
- quality is not guaranteed anymore, yet high prices are charged
- apparently Flys can't be manufactured to a high quality standard and at a competetive price at the same time.

The next logical step is for the brand to disappear entirely.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:18:54 AM by www_Ps_com »

Offline wkcchampion

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:17 AM »
Well I just wanted to leave a hope to keep the light on. I think that Ken Parker built one of the most revolutionary and advanced guitars in history, too bad for an engineer like me (and a guitar lover of course) to see it fade

---------
Pregno Splatter

Boss GT-10
VOX AC30CC2X
---------
Marco

Boss GT-100

Offline tildeslash

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »
Ok I am going to take some pictures of all my FLYs and start posting them on other guitar related forums.
I frequent TGP, TDPRI and HC.

What other forums can you guys recommend that I start posting.
I mean I love FLYs so might as well share the joy.

Offline wkcchampion

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
I don't frequent many. Just this, Boss Gt Central and seldom Marshallforum

---------
Pregno Splatter

Boss GT-10
VOX AC30CC2X
---------
Marco

Boss GT-100

Offline jpleong

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:55:47 AM »
I hate rumor mills... especially ones from dealers. If I believed everything I heard from dealers then the P-44Pro doesn't exist, there's no such thing as a USA-made singlecut Parker, and Behringer is "just as good" as Mackie, Yamaha, and Soundcraft.

How about we wait until official confirmation from real Parker employees? And if you want Parkers to be more popular and sell more, go out and play! We've got lots of guitar collectors, it seems, who like to talk shop but what about talking gigs? Nothing beats seeing good players play live on their favorite Parker!

JP
2007 Fly Mojo Singlecut -STOLEN :(
MM Quilted-Maple Cherryburst
2009 Nitefly Mojo
Natural
2013 PDF105
Blackburst

Offline DrJeff

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »
Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin: The writing on the wall tells us Babylon needs a new and different Belshazzar.99 Majik Blue Deluxe
Rgds,
Jeff

Offline wkcchampion

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »
to JP: sorry but I no longer play live, I quit ;) But you can hear my recordings made with Flys ^^

---------
Pregno Splatter

Boss GT-10
VOX AC30CC2X
---------
Marco

Boss GT-100

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
First of all, is it reasonable to think that one unnamed dealer knows what's going on at the factory and is accurately relaying the company's plans for the future?

Second, if it is true that the Artist and Supreme are being eliminated from the line, is that so earthshaking? I've often wondered why the company wants or needs so many Fly variations. It could make sense to simplify their offerings and naming scheme a bit.

Next, if it's true that the custom shop is going away, that will be a problem for some. But there have been recent hints about this, with Terry saying that there is no 'Parker custom shop' in the usual sense, and that all custom work is scheduled through the same people who do the production work; and with posters here saying that their custom orders never materialize. It sounds like the 'shop' might have shut down some time ago.

Finally, didn't we hear, again from Terry, that new products are being introduced in January? Maybe we should see what happens there before wringning our hands.

The big, big, big thing IMHO is to get Parkers - especially Flys - into more stores so that potential buyers can see and play them.  Hands-on is extremely important! I was blown away by a Fly within ten minutes of holding one, back when Guitar Center carried the brand. They had just one in the store (an Artist, to my best recollection) but I have never forgotten it. That was years ago... and it was the only Parker I've ever touched until I bought my own.

A couple of days ago I responded to a craigslist ad for something (upcoming thread on that) and met a young guy with a roomful of guitars and gear. When I whipped out my Fly to hook it up for testing he couldn't take his eyes off it. As I was getting ready to leave he made a comment about what a cool guitar it is. So I handed it to him to try out. As he was playing it I quickly ran through the laundry list of special features that we all know so well. The guy had apparently never heard of Parker before; but I guarantee he's now researching like crazy to figure out how to get one.

But ultimately, it may just be that Flys will always be impossible to sell at prices that make financial sense to the company. Ken already discovered that. As much as I would like to, I myself could not justify paying current street price for any new Fly, especially the high end ones. I have to hope, though, that I'm not a typical customer.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:57:00 AM by sybersitizen »
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline BillyT

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »
OK Guys, Here's the skinny.
The Artist and Supreme are staying in the line. The Bronze and Spanish are not. The Classic is out for the time being.
We do take custom orders regularly, though with Parker, any deviation from the norm takes a lot of time to produce. We are getting better at, and quicker at producing a fairly large amount of stuff Parker never could have done in the past.
Regarding Advertising, I know US Music and the new owners (JAM) are planning on making Parker the feature brand of the corporation. Just how much advertising dollars this translates into is unknown. In this industry we all know that dollars spent in the big three magazines have very little impact on sales. They only serve the purpose of puffing out our chest for the rest of the industry to see, not customers. Customers for the Parker are not typically buying Guitar One magazine. They are buying Guitar Afficionado or the Robb Report.
What will really have the most effect on whether you see a Parker in the dealer is if all of you who love them make your dealers aware of the brand. Word of mouth is what will have the most affect on the public visibility of Parker. Dealers who we try to introduce the brand to tell us "No-one is walking in asking for these, so why spend the money to stock it". When people are asking thier dealers for the product, they will eventually pick up the brand.
We are introducing new products at NAMM. I will be starting a thread in the next few days detailing what they will be and how much MAP pricing will be. If you like them, ask your dealer about them before they go to NAMM on January 17th. They will come by our booth and check them out. This will give you the best chance of seeing one in person.

Offline www_Ps_com

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »
I recommend Parker to put detailled video coverage of your NAMM presentation and in-depth (~10 minutes) video demos of each of your new guitars online. Video demonstrations are the cheapest substitute I can think of to having them availlable at dealers. It's kind of strange that dealers like WorldMusicSupply (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ryIns-46s) have more Parker vids availlable than Parker itself...