Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No more custom shop, no more top shelf guitars?  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Noodler

No more custom shop, no more top shelf guitars?
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
I just want to go on record to say that Martone should be getting more respect.  If you haven't actually listened to all his albums then don't be dis'ing him.  I've found his song writing to be far superior (much more creative and varied in styles - and melodic!) than Satriani and Vai - I've listened to all 3 guitarists extensively.  

Not only that - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm pretty certain that Martone can play anything Satriani or Vai have ever put on an album, but neither Satriani or Vai can approach playing Martone's stuff because they don't hybrid pick and there's no way you can cop Martone's licks without knowing how to hybrid.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but these "uninformed" comments on Martone struck a nerve.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:04:00 PM by Noodler »

Offline gtrbmart

• http://www.myspace.com/archaeonband
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »
I was about to comment on the Martone hating, Noodler.  Glad someone said what was on my mind.

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 07:31:01 AM »
Guys - I think the issue here is less about musicality/ability of the endorsers (after all - personal taste is, well, personal ! - I love Vai to death , but Joe Satch bores me to tears!)  - and more about visibility of the artists in question .
Vernon is more visible than he was a year ago as he's actively touring with Living Colour. Same goes for another Washburn artist - Nuno - ( I'm guessing there has been added in terest in his signature models in the past year). What USM/Parker need is a higher visibility player.  You never know - NAMM may help this if Parker has a big anough footprint. We should all tho be posting/shouting anout parker on other guitar forums to help get USM some attention as teh new models are launched.

*New! Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe !, Natural Mahogany Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic (in Purple!), Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, *NEW* Sequis Motherload Elemental
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 07:47:26 AM »
The problem is that, whether u like them or not, the endorsers are close to unknown to the masses.
Axeman is right.
"What USM/Parker need is a higher visibility player." Exactly!

And I also think that the signature models are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy crazily overpriced!!!
Corrct me if I'm wrong.. isn't the Reid's Dragonly something like 6k? Come on!!! Who will spend that money for a guitar of an almost unknown player? Even for a "superstar" (say: Page, Clapton, May, Gilmour, Santana... whoever u want) signature guitar they are too much IMO.

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
POD X3 Pro
VOX AC30CC2X modded to Fryer specs
(more gear on my website)
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 09:34:16 AM »
The whole endorsement concept is beyond my comprehension (like many things!). For example, Adrian Belew is far more familiar to me and my little circle of friends than any of the other names mentioned in this thread. But his endorsement had nothing to do with my interest in Parkers. And an odd aspect of the AB signature model is that it's the only known way to get the Sustainiac and Variax capabilities built into a Fly. So if another pro player with a big name of his own wants those things he has to buy the 'Adrian Belew' model? Seems weird to me. I guess it's targeted as a niche product for rather wealthy amateurs.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Noodler

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
During the tour we didn't really talk about the marketing of the guitars via signature artists.  However, it does make some sense that if Parker had their guitars in the hands of some higher profile guitarists then it should directly relate to increased exposure and thus higher resultant sales.  I have no idea what they do to actively pursue artists.  I have the feeling that it's always been a situation where the artists have come to them.  I'd be surprised to learn that they've ever pursued anyone in particular.  Maybe that's a strategy they should re-think.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
Re "During the tour we didn't really talk about the marketing of the guitars via signature artists. However, it does make some sense that if Parker had their guitars in the hands of some higher profile guitarists then it should directly relate to increased exposure and thus higher resultant sales. I have no idea what they do to actively pursue artists. I have the feeling that it's always been a situation where the artists have come to them. I'd be surprised to learn that they've ever pursued anyone in particular. Maybe that's a strategy they should re-think."

Well they did use Robert Johnson.

Dead guys work for cheap [:D]

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:51:46 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup