Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No more custom shop, no more top shelf guitars?  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
No more custom shop, no more top shelf guitars?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
Same here... the Firefly name, the new bolt on Dragonfly including that beautiful headstock and NAMM with whatever BillyT's been brewing around the corner. Could be a great new year for Parker.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
BTW,

FireFly Vodka and FireFly Ice Tea is awesome. Its made in my home town (actually a few Islands over).

Anyway It might be good marketing to team up with them. A Free bottle with every FireFly.

The Vodka is good but the spiked IceTea is trully awesome.

http://www.fireflyvodka.com/

Also the intro song on the page is by a local band who are friends of mine. This song is bluegrass but they can play anything. Awesome musicians.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »
BTW, part II

Joss Whedon's Firefly was amazing sci-fi too.

A great UK produced non alcoholic beverage called Firefly just hit the local stores. It's like our most loved guitars: Expensive but oh so yummy! [;)]

Greetings...
Nef

Offline jpleong

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
So, I think we've now officially hi-jacked this thread...
(inspired by the fireflyvodka website) If the Firefly had a special prismatic finish that looked like fireflies...

JP
2007 Fly Mojo Singlecut -STOLEN :(
MM Quilted-Maple Cherryburst
2009 Nitefly Mojo
Natural
2013 PDF105
Blackburst

Offline Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 02:10:54 AM »
Yup! Thread hijacked! So to redirect... I have to take issue with one of the statements that the custom shop "take custom orders regularly." I ordered a guitar from the custom shop over two years ago and after four months of altering my specs to fit the custom shop's requests, compromising on my wood, my top, my finish, my tuners, and my pickups, though not a single one of these elements was "out of the ordinary," (or even out of stock) it was the custom shop and the dealer who finally decided that my guitar simply was not worth bothering with.

I'm sure some of you think I'm just bitter. Well, yeah, I am bitter. But I'm also fiercely loyal, and I recognize the potential that USM is riding with the only truly modern guitar available to the general public. And I do play mine out two or three times a week, and I talk to everyone who'll listen about the benefits of a Fly over any other guitar built. I've bought Parker guitars for my two nephews and for one very talented young lady whom I hope to see accomplish a lot more than I ever will on the instrument. I pay my dues and my checks don't bounce.

So all this adds up to really pi55 me off: My brand loyalty is rewarded by a blatant refusal to build my guitar at any price. My relentless pimping and promoting the brand yields me the knowledge that -as another forum member points out- Parker supports only low-profile artists who, great as they may be, yield minimal exposure.

Then I show up at a venue that holds 250 people to see my favorite artist play my favorite guitar, and find that he has to tape the twang bar in place , then switch guitars in the middle of the show NOT because the first one has gone out of tune, but because the damm pickup selector has quit working, precisely as mine had done. Of course, Mr. Belew probably got his fixed properly. Mine was returned from Mundelein with the switch wired backwards so that the neck pickup is now activated by pointing the switch towards the bridge. But the GOOD news is that they screwed it up for me at absolutely no charge, other than the extortionary price of shipping and insuring a $5000 guitar.

Which part of my personal Parker Guitars experience is supposed to encourage me to spend more money with USM? I feel like I've done my part and more. It's bloody damm time for USM to step up with more than a jazz box, a new name, and a Washburn knock-off endorsed by a washed-up '80s one-hit wonder. OH WAIT!!!! I did see a red P-36 playing in the wedding reception band on "The Hangover" tonight!

Again I feel I should toss out the suggestion to put Parker guitars around some higher-profile necks. Oh, I know it'll end up costing the company a couple hundred bucks a pop, but I also believe they'd recoup that investment during the first week that Lifeson or Petrucci or Gilmour played it onstage. When was Parker's heyday anyhow? It was when Joe Walsh and Dave Navarro were visible wearing them and smiling. I'm not sure where Rick Neilsen fits in here.[:D] Some players are just enigmatic.

I hope it will be a great new year for Parker. I'll keep buying their guitars for as long as I can get them. But it would sure be nice not to feel like USM's beeyotch.

"Never, EVER buy weed from Lando Calrissian."

Owner/Operator:
Fly Artist Trans Cherry Burst, Fly Mojo Solar Flare, Fly Deluxe Lime Gold, Fly Supreme Quilt "Hellfire,"  '65 Galanti Grand Prix, Quilt Maple Carvin 12-String  
"Never, EVER buy weed from Lando Calrissian."

Artist Trans Cherry Burst, Blue Gator P-38, Carvin 12-String Quilt, and a whole bunch of Kiesel customs, in hopes that Parker someday gets their $#!T together again.

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 02:51:30 AM »
Muscadine wine vodka, I was watching werewolf movies Thursday night, if I had some muscadine wine vodka I could grow long teeth and fury hair all over. I would not bother with big names to pay for guitar endorsement, well maybe a tiger would do, but otherwise I would rather find YouTube pop princes and princesses and give them a guitar with their own images on the guitar. $100,000 for one big name or 100 YouTubbies with Parker guitars. And I'm not sure either way would be effective.

Hard to shake the notion of vodka being made in South Carolina, the world is changing. I'm  having visions of vodka being made out of peanuts and filtered through cotton.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline guitarmanuk

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 07:02:25 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by stevie axeman

quote:
Originally posted by guitarmanuk

As for mentions in magazines, this months Guitarists magazine (in the UK) has a review of the Mojo Midi Fly.  Overall it scored 4.5/5 and was only let down by the price, which is more to do with the exchange rate/VAT/Import duties etc so not USM's fault at all.

Hi David - what price did they quote - and out of interest - what colour was the one they reviewed?

*New! Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe !, Natural Mahogany Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic (in Purple!), Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, *NEW* Sequis Motherload Elemental

Stevie.  It was a Black Mojo MIDI and they list it at $3499.  It got 4.5/5 for Build Quility, Playability and Sound it was the value for money at 3/5 that gave it an overall score of 4/5 and not the 4.5/5 that I originally said (I have corrected in the earlier post).

www.dancineasy.co.uk - wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk - sax and guitar duo
www.kimcypherband.co.uk - jazz/funk/blues/reggae band
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 09:01:51 AM »
David - interesting - I will pick up teh mag. That's probably teh one I played at Sounds Great in Manchester a coupl of months back - it had a prob with neck curvature - was fretting out. Hope the distributor managed to get it sorted. Still v expensive this side of the pond tho. I am going to speak to Terry about getting a midi Dragonfly bolt on SSS I think, with same control layout.

*New! Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe !, Natural Mahogany Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic (in Purple!), Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, *NEW* Sequis Motherload Elemental
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
I understand the point that was attempted to be made, but calling Adrian Belew and Vernon Reid "low-profile artist that don't have much of a following these days" is a bit presumptuous.  While they may not have the public profile of a celebrity such as a Lady Gaga or even John Mayer (no disrespect, John), their historical contribution to music (not just the guitar community) is massive, well documented, and highly respected.  And I think it is safe to assume that their "following" is much larger than posted here.  Any guitar company would be proud to have these musical giants on their roster.

http://www.jasondavismusic.com

Join my mailing list at http://www.reverbnation.com/jasondavis?add_email=true and keep up to date on new releases, live shows, news, and free downloads!!!

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 PM-20G (prototype)
2003 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe

...plus other picture postcards...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:00:35 PM by Jason Davis »

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
I think Flys benefit more on names like The Edge and PhD Brian H. May as their past users. I hadn't ever heard of the ones u said when I bought my first Fly, go figure!
But that's just my opinion.

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
POD X3 Pro
Boss GT-10
(more gear on my website)
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 07:52:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by wkcchampion

I think Flys benefit more on names like The Edge and PhD Brian H. May as their past users. I hadn't ever heard of the ones u said when I bought my first Fly, go figure!
But that's just my opinion.

---------
Marco

POD X3 Pro
Boss GT-10

Maybe you should listen to more music Marco!  [:0][;)]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline wkcchampion

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 02:56:12 AM »
I like Adrian Belew. But the other endorses are just CRAP to my ears - especially Martone and Duckewitz.
You know what is my main music genre ;)

---------
Marco

POD X3 Pro
Boss GT-10
---------
Marco

Boss GT-100

Offline www_Ps_com

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 04:20:27 AM »
I'm willing to assume that no one buys a Parker guitar simply because Belew, Reid, Martone or Schauss is playing it. The first two are dinosaurs from a past long gone. The latter two are basically unknown even among guitarists and don't have much of a musical identity, let alone songwriting ability.

This is different for players like Petrucci, Vai, Satriani - their respective signature models get bought because THEY play them. I remember, a couple of years ago, when Petrucci made the switch from Ibanez to MusicMan there were stupid amounts of people switching their guitars right away. Even today it's crazy to see the number of kids on Youtube playing those EBMM 3000 USD Petrucci models. Endorsing doesn't make much sense without some big names that will actually have an impact on sales.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:23:21 AM by www_Ps_com »

Offline wkcchampion

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 05:17:18 AM »
Agreed. I even have my philosophy: I manage to never buy gear that is a "signature" item. Because I don't aim to imitate anyone, just to sound like myself. And with the Flys I found what I wanted :)

My possible next Parker may be a SSS Fly or Nitefly... we'll see

---------
Marco

POD X3 Pro
Boss GT-10
---------
Marco

Boss GT-100

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »
3WP- "Endorsing doesn't make much sense without some big names that will actually have an impact on sales."

True !

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup