Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Robert Conti  (Read 3072 times)

Offline quakenut

Robert Conti
« on: October 17, 2005, 01:20:17 AM »
Funny I never heard of this guy until now. What great jazz proficiency. Plus, you gotta love that 8 stringer...

http://www.robertconti.com/videos/sample11.wmv

Robert Conti

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Robert Conti
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:09:03 AM »
his fingers just move so effortlesly and smoothly!!  now that is a technique worth learning.  and to cap it all, he is not even looking at what he is playing.  muchos kudos
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Robert Conti

Offline loumt123

Robert Conti
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:11:02 PM »
I think he's amazing. He kind of reminds me of....a steve vai of jazz. His playing is elegant and he has an awesome presence

Robert Conti

Offline quakenut

Robert Conti
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 01:51:27 PM »
Yeah, he sure can bop through the key changes with ease and aplomb. He considers modes to be a waste of time. I've ordered some of his learning  material to see what he's all about in that regard. Check out his playing on Jobim's Desafinado:

http://www.robertconti.com/videos/sample14.wmv

Robert Conti

Offline loumt123

Robert Conti
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 02:01:43 PM »
why does he consider modes a waste of time?

Robert Conti

Offline quakenut

Robert Conti
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 02:08:55 PM »
I'm not sure - that's what I'm going to find out. I'm assuming he has an easier, more streamlined approach to jazz improvisation. I'll let you know.

Robert Conti

Offline quakenut

Robert Conti
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 02:10:07 PM »
BTW, did you try the Super Locrian scale substitution? I hadn't heard any feedback?

Robert Conti

Offline JSanta

Robert Conti
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
I think that people sometimes uses modes ineffectively or even wrong sometimes.  I remember my old teacher telling me that modes will simply open up the entire fretboard; that they are all interconnected.  They all feed into eachother.  If you think about modes that way, it better enables you to improvise over a vast area of the fretboard and to also play in several modes all within the same key.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Robert Conti

Offline loumt123

Robert Conti
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 08:30:32 PM »
thats exactly how i view modes. hopefully im on the right track. I haven't tried the super locrian yet but i will shortly. and I figured out who makes that 8 string. its a bc rich

Robert Conti

Offline JSanta

Robert Conti
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
I feel that if modes were explained that way more often guitarists would be much more flexible in their use of theory.  I now look at the fretboard as a whole, and I feel that my improvising has improved vastly because of this.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Robert Conti

Offline quakenut

Robert Conti
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 10:26:53 PM »
I do think it’s important to be grounded in the modes for jazz improv. The problem has always been for me when the modes comprised the primary source for soloing. Things do work under that system but often there is a lack of fluidity when dealing with tunes that have a ton of fast key changes. It’s when I switched from a modal approach to a structure approach (MA+2, Tetrachords, mi7 arpeggiated structures for all chords Maj/min/Dom, etc) that fluidity and greater ease over fast key changes took place in my single line playing. The modes did provide the grid to see the various structures spelled out as well as their substitutions.

I’m beginning Conti’s Source Code Book One on single line playing. From what I can tell so far is that his method is an elegant, glorified type of structure rationale that has many substitutive applications. He’s getting me intellectually stimulated about music again. I’m hoping he’ll be able to take me to the next level