Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a crushing dissapointment  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Mr. Wonderful

• http://www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
a crushing dissapointment
« on: January 06, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »
I'm the proud owner of three p series guitars, so I was psyched when I found the mother of all deals on a pb41  it was sold as a "finish flaw"  it was not stamped.  I got the guitar, and the action was a mess, I went to adjust the truss rod, it was already cranked all the way tight, the "finish flaw" was, you guessed it, at the neck pocket.  long story short, the neck and body were cracking apart.  the ebay seller did the right thing and turned the deal around, but, I was not impressed by the p series bass on any level.  I love my parkers, and I might well have played the pb just to have it on my rack at gigs, but it was a disaster. super heavy, bad neck set, hard to get around on, frankly I expected more from a company that I know and trust.  next time, consult me first, it's not to late to build a bass that will knock everybody's **** in the dirt!  (the Mr. Wonderful signature model parker bass:   NOT coming soon to a music store near you!)  I think it's the typical problem of guitar guys designing basses.

www.myspace.com/justaddwaterduo
 the , "weddings during wartime" and "baby baby" were both recorded with one of my pm 20's
p 38 black w/pearloid (named pearl), pm 20 in bubinga (3+3, named bubba), pm 20 tangerine (hockey stick, named crush)
 the , "weddings during wartime" and "baby baby" were both recorded with one of my pm 20's
p 38 black w/pearloid (named pearl), pm 20 in bubinga (3+3, named bubba), pm 20 tangerine (hockey stick, named crush)

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Was this a surprise? In my short tenure here I've read much bad and very little good about Parker basses, including the self-destruction you describe. Sad but true.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Mr. Wonderful

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
it was actually, I've sung the praises of my parkers to anybody who'll listen, and I expected much much more!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
Here's one example where a former Parker employee comments on a long run of bass problems:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7848

There are more such threads here and elsewhere describing the company's lack of focus on producing a viable bass. Maybe I can dig them up later, or perhaps senior members might provide more evidence.

I personally wonder why the company hasn't tried making a bass similar to the P44 Pro. That body seems to have enough 'meat' on it to handle the job. Gibson managed to do something similar with the EB series, based on the SG body. I have an EB-3 that's exactly as old as my SG, and still in one piece.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Mr. Wonderful

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
they could just put the pb body on a diet, make it look like a "stretch p44"  any bass is destined to be neck heavy, so a longer upper bout is an advantage anyway.  AND MAKE IT A BOLT ON!!!!  if you're having trouble with neck sets, (and a quick google search will show that they are) it seems to me that the answer is painfully obvious.  that hump or bump or step up in the center is a pain in the ass too. might also consider sealed back smaller mass tuners. the bridge and electronics would suit me fine, if it wasn't for that pesky POS they built around it!

Offline Mr. Wonderful

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 07:10:51 AM »
WARNING: this monstrosity is for sale again on ebay.  I know for a fact it's the one they sold me!  maybe the manufacturer should step in

Offline surlyoldbill

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »
I just purchased one of these "finish flaw" basses from Mike on Ebay. As expected, I was able to fix it easily. However, it is now a bolted set neck, because as part of the process I installed 4 stainless screws in the "heel". It took less than 2 hours, and over an hour of that was waiting for the glue to dry.
I had previously emailed Parker and asked if they had any recommendations of adhesive type, and like most customer "support" I never heard back from them. I suspect the failure came from poor engineering or oversight concerning joining different materials that have different rates of expansion and contraction, as well as different adhesion qualities. When dealing with this situation, you nearly always have to use a mechanical fastening device; aka screws.