Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A FLY MOJO STRUNG WITH 12/54 - DANGEROUS ?  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Xstian67

A FLY MOJO STRUNG WITH 12/54 - DANGEROUS ?
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »
Hi (I'm a new member - from France) !
I'm going to buy a Fly Mojo.
I play mainly jazz and use 12/54 sets of strings on my guitars (and I like it - sure you can't easily bend strings, but there are many advantages...).
I know that I would have to change the trem spring for a .12 one.
When I asked to the Parker french distributor if that kind of spring was available, they answered (I translate) : "we don't suggest you to put 12/54 strings on that guitar, these instruments are fragile, you may have problems and damage the guitar in its whole structure..."
I still haven't checked on this forum to see if that question has already been a topic.
I would like to know if some members play with .12 strings, and what do you think about it. Any advice welcome !

Thanks !

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
I think it's dangerous too

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
POD X3 Pro
VOX AC30CC2X modded to TBX specs by D. Petersen (UK Alnico Blues, Drake OT and minor other things)
(more gear on my website)
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
If it is dangerous I don't understand why they would make #12 trem springs. [?]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Xstian67

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »
Hello Danjazzny,

This is exactly what I am thinking...

...and why I'd like to hear what some guitar players who may use .12 strings may say about it...
...and of course the guys who work at the factory...

Best regards.

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »
I don't particularly agree with the dealer that "these instruments are fragile". Nonetheless, could you tune down to E flat or D?
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline Xstian67

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
Hi Strandwolf,

The question is not if I could tune down to E flat or D, I play in regular tuning, and I like .12 gauge because you can really feel your guitar, have a lot of natural sustain and dynamics (and you don't break strings, and they last longer...). I can say that many guitars are dull when strung with extra-light strings, and they do come really alive when you put tension on them. You can feel it. You're not only playing with medium strings, you're playing with another guitar.

And I really would like to agree with you, when you say that these Parker guitars would hold the tension...

Best regards.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
You might want to look into the modification to fix the trem bridge forward lean before going with such a heavy gauge string set.  I'll try to find a link to the thread, but basically the mod would help support your bridge under that additional stress.

Other than that I would say that the carbon exoskeleton should be able to support the stress better than a standard neck so I don't agree with the warning from the French distributor.

P.S. - I found the old thread for the bridge mod - you'll need to get some parts from Parker for this:
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10146
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:58:49 PM by Noodler »

Offline bno

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
If they sell a .12 spring (which they do), I'd be fairly sure it can take it.  Call 'em or send BillyT a message off line.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Xstian67

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:45:50 PM »
Hi, some replies...

To bno : I tried to send a message off line to BillyT, but as a new member, it's impossible for me to do it, not enough posts...

To Noodler : Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it's a great post, fine pics, I'd like to have my guitar tech do the modification you made, and I'm going to look for the bearings and how to get them to France. Not so easy, I presume... Any advice ?

NB : the tension of a 0.10 set of strings on a 25.5" scale length guitar is 50 kg, and the tension of a 0.12 set is 74 kg...

Best regards to everyone !

Xstian.

Offline bno

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:07:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Xstian67

Hi, some replies...

To bno : I tried to send a message off line to BillyT, but as a new member, it's impossible for me to do it, not enough posts...
Well, start posting.  The threshold is pretty low.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
Go for it Xstian. You can do it!  [;)] [:D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Noodler

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
You don't have to get the parts from Parker.  You could make them yourself if you have access to some Delrin plastic cylinder-type parts.  The inside and outside dimensions are identical to the bridge support posts that area already installed and the length of the additional support actually is custom since it depends on your guitar.  Write to Parker customer service and I'm sure they can give you some additional help.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 07:45:55 AM »
At the worst the guitar might need a little truss rod adjustment. I'd say go for it. Or move to 11s and then step up to the 12s but I can't really see doing anything other putting 12s on and having it set up for 12s.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 09:50:15 AM »
I love the French distributor! he's knowing so well the parkers...

...Yes, it is some sort of ironic statement
Fly Classic Custom

Offline Xstian67

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
Hi !
Once again, some replies...

But before, I'd like to say that this forum is a great place to be in. I've taken some time to look at pics and videos of factory tours, very interesting, although it's not a complete discovery, since I do remember the first ads in Guitar Player with Ken Parker wearing those strange spectacles. Anyway, even if I think that you should not visit the kitchen of a restaurant before having a good meal there, everything you can see proves than you can build something very light AND very strong. This is always the same story : a guitar has to be heavy to provide sustain, a neck has to look like a baseball bat to enhance the sound, and so on. It seems that people don't like to have to change their mind, and that only little babies are happy to have some changes in their lives, at least three or four times a day.

To lucgravely : when you say "At the worst the guitar might need a little truss rod adjustment. I'd say go for it. Or move to 11s and then step up to the 12s but I can't really see doing anything other putting 12s on and having it set up for 12s." this is exactly what I'm going to do. I will receive my Fly Mojo wednesday, and go for it, with 11s for a while, see what happens,it may be just fine like that, maybe switch to 12s with the help of my favourite guitar tech (Jorg Kuhlo, Plekhaus in Berlin, Germany...) who will set it up, maybe the nut will need some adjustements according to the strings gauges, and he will Plek it...

To Dreamsy : as you are french too, this is exactly what the Arbiter customer service wrote to me :"à moins que vous n'envisagiez rien d'autre que de mettre du tirant "très dur" pour ce genre de guitare, nous ne conseillons pas d'aller au delà de 11. En effet, ces guitares restent fragiles et des problèmes peuvent apparaître et même fausser
l'instrument dans sa structure. Ces tirants (type 12/54) davantage
conseillés pour des manches collés type lespaul à mon humble avis."

To Noodler : as you suggested it, I wrote an e-mail to the Parker customer service about this string gauge topic and about the Delrin parts needed to do the modification you made, I'll copy-and-paste here the answer when I'll get one...

Best regards to everyone !

Xstian.