Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My son's custom Dragonfly  (Read 13072 times)

Offline BillyT

My son's custom Dragonfly
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »
I have the new headstock like the bolt on's do. Along the bottom edge, the tiger pattern is visible. I will post a shot where you can see the peghead. The baqck of the guitar is Tangerine, in case any were wondering.

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 08:55:39 AM »
I may be out of teh crowd... but, ven if it's an AMAZING piece of artwork, I don't like the design at all! Not elegant at all, quite childish :( and... in Italy we would it call it "tamarro", don't know the English term.

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
POD X3 Pro
VOX AC30CC2X modded to TBX specs by D. Petersen (UK Alnico Blues, Drake OT and minor other things)
(more gear on my website)
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline spider

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »
We have a term in English too, it's "douche bag" and I don't know the Italian term....
08 Parker Fly Deluxe in Galaxy Grey
And a bunch of other guitars that aren't getting played any more...

Offline jpleong

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
What's with the Bengals love? Shouldn't your son be a Bears fan? ;)

JP
2007 Fly Mojo Singlecut -STOLEN :(
MM Quilted-Maple Cherryburst
2009 Nitefly Mojo
Natural
2013 PDF105
Blackburst

Offline Dreamsy

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:08 AM »
The guitar is not really my favorite finish, I'm sold to natural finish on anything (the amp is just perfect) but the airbrush work looks amazing !!!
Fly Classic Custom

Offline Noodler

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 11:41:56 AM »
I've never had the urge before to want to be adopted, but I'm suddenly having that feeling :)

Ben is a very lucky boy.  I gave my son his first guitar last night - an Ibanez Mikro (3/4 size, 22" scale).  He was really excited.  If he sticks with it maybe in 5 years I'll buy him a Parker!

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
Noodler, I gave my son Eli (7) his first electric guitar at Christmas.  It's a Laguna L50.  I have to say, it is an AMAZING 3/4 size guitar.  We looked at the Mikro, but the only one around here had a goofed up nut.  The L50 is an outstanding first guitar.  Everything is really tight.  The only things I didn't care for are the tuners, which seemed geared too low (too sensitive for young players), and it's heavy!  Other than that, it seems like a "prosumer" guitar.

Even so, if MY dad was the production manager at Parker, I think I'd just say, "Dad, nothing plays like a Parker..." [;)]

BTW Terry, I have a great idea for a kids / travel guitar from Parker... I'm away this weekend, but I'll try to do a mock up (I just got the new photoshop) and post a pic.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:23:45 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline BillyT

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 01:30:20 PM »
My son picked the Tiger design because my Sister and Brother in Law work at Auburn University. We had just come back from Thanksgiving visiting them and watching the Auburn / Alabama game from the stadium. He really got excited about the Auburn Tigers after that.
Regarding the design being childish, Ben is only twelve. He has been playing since he was seven, and is pretty good, but he's twelve and his taste reflects it.
My Parker is figured swamp ash with a three tone burst and chrome hardware.
If you are refering to the Dragonfly design in your post, well, we've all been down that road. My personal choice for the Parker I brought home was a Dragonfly.
Noodler, It is so cool when you see them start to "get it". Thier little light comes on and all of a sudden music is way cooler than video games!

Offline wkcchampion

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
lol a Dragonfly at 12 years old.... incredible. I had a 100€ guitar at that age, and a crappy 10W solid state amp....

---------
Marco

POD X3 Pro
VOX AC30CC2X modded to TBX specs by D. Petersen (UK Alnico Blues, Drake OT and minor other things)
---------
Marco

Boss GT-100

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
35 years ago, my dad got me a $79.99 Sears Silvertone guitar for my 14th Birthday and changed me life forever. I in turn passed it on to my brother when he turned 12 and started to get interested.  He now plays like a god!
Your gift to your son is stunning. And the guitar looks way cool. Kudos for a great Dad and a really cool guy.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline BillyT

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »
I am fortunate, because in all honesty I couldn't have afforded this had not Rudy been so generous. Before he sold the company, Rudy gave me the two Dragonflies as thanks for my years of service. I had the choice of what they would be, so I let my son design his and I designed my own. I finished his as a Christmas present. This year he had some input. I also made him a one humbucker Dinky with the local High School logo on it, as he wanted that on a guitar. Giving him design input makes it a lot easier to get him a guitar he really likes. I made him a Blue single cut guitar with flame maple top, and chambered out the body etc. I was making it for myself to be honest, but since his interest had grown enough for me to give him the guitar, I asked him what paint job he wanted. It is now trans blue with lightning bolts on it. That was not my prefered paint job, but it kept him interested in music another couple of years. I've bought digital keyboards, electronic drums, trumpets and basses, all with the intent of keeping music in his face long enough for him to absorb something of value. When I was a child and my parents made me sit and practice the piano 45 minutes every night, the first chance I had to stop it, I did. I'm just putting it in front of him, and fortunately he has picked it all up. As a parent, I am trying to expose him to things I wish I had when I was younger. If he likes it, I'm happy. If he doesn't, I try something else. I put him in Tae Kwon Do when he was three. He was a black belt before he turned 8. He was exceptionally good at it because he started so young and attended practice three nights a week for five years. When he wanted to stop going, I let him. It taught him what it takes to reach long term goals, it taught him how to participate in organized sports. He is calm and confident even when someone older than he is isn't nice. It was a good thing to do. I feel Music has the chance to be a huge positive influence for him for the duration of his life, and I'm doing all I can to keep it interesting for him without making him sit in front of a piano 45 minutes a day 5 days a week.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 04:14:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by wkcchampion

I had a 100€ guitar at that age, and a crappy 10W solid state amp....

Luxury! I had no guitar at that age. But the following year I was able to buy myself a $10 acoustic. A no-name electric guitar and an amp didn't come into the picture until much later. My own teenage kid, though, has it much better!

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:30 PM »
Playing the guitar is an excellent learning tool to find out about working every day to get skills up and keep them up, and self discipline. There is a pleasant reward to figuring out to play a song or how a scale fits a chord or progression.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline wkcchampion

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 02:06:04 AM »
No, at all. Martial arts lead to discipline much more ;)

---------
Marco

POD X3 Pro
---------
Marco

Boss GT-100

Offline Noodler

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 06:45:17 AM »
My eldest son just turned 10.  He took 5 years of piano lessons and it was a struggle to get him through it.  For a year he begged us to stop playing piano and start playing guitar so we finally gave in and got him the guitar for his birthday.  We'll see how it goes I guess - I don't think he realized just how much it takes to play a guitar compared to a piano, but hopefully he'll stick with it until his fingers get a bit stronger and he can really start to enjoy playing.