Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about my new DF  (Read 11020 times)

Offline fretnoise

• http://esleronline.com
Question about my new DF
« on: February 15, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »
I recently won a Dragonfly on ebay.  It's listed as a DF724.  The neck through dragonflys on the Parker website are listed as DF824's.  This one is advertised with a douglas fir body and basswood neck.  I can't find any other example of this model so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it.  

Thanks,  Jon Esler

p.s. I'll try to post an image, we'll see if it works.

Question about my new DF

Offline danjazzny

Question about my new DF
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:44:48 PM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum Jon! Sorry I can't tell you anything about your new Dragonfly but she looks fine in the pic!! [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Question about my new DF

Offline BillyT

Question about my new DF
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
I remember this one. It was one of the prototypes. We were experimenting with different wood types and this is a one of a kind. It sounded spectacular.

Question about my new DF

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Question about my new DF
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
Terry:  there's no way I can listen to a DF in my location.  Can you please describe how it sounds compared to say, a mojo?
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Question about my new DF

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Question about my new DF
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »
How 'bout a clip ?

You are the first on the forum to buy a DragonFly.

So you are asking the wrong people (BillyT excepted).

In fact, prepare yourself. We have a million questions to ask you !

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:51:29 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Question about my new DF

Offline fretnoise

Question about my new DF
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
Actually they just shipped it today so I should have it within a week.  I've been playing a 90's Fly for the past 12 years but I still miss the 5 position switch and that single coil front p/u sound so I'm really looking forward to this.  Been looking at strats for awhile but I just couldn't get behind the overall quality after getting used to the Parker.
I guess Billy T. works in the plant?  While I like having a one of a kind I'm curious why they didn't go forward with it.  Unless that's classified information.[;)]

Question about my new DF

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Question about my new DF
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »
Well I wouldn't feel slighted at all.

What they do for protos is all about dreaming.

What they do for mass production is all about mass production. Making it work for the masses.

Of course in Parkers case its not really mass mass production, but you get my drift.

My guess is you are going to love it.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Question about my new DF

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Question about my new DF
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
Bright red and Douglas Fir!  You've got the first Xmas Fly!
Can't wait to hear your feedback.

Question about my new DF

Offline fretnoise

Question about my new DF
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
No I don't feel slighted at all.  I feel really fortunate, especially after Bill T says it sounds spectacular.  I'm just about jumping out of my skin waiting for it.  Got the tracking number today which says it's due here on friday.  I'm just curious about what makes them decide to use a prototype or not.  I'll bet in this case it's that douglas fir is not a well known tone wood though I hear it has a small and loyal following, so they opted on the alder model.  Actually as soon as I saw the Dragonfly I was lusting after it, I love my classic but I think that pickup configuration is gonna be great, and the fact that it's a one of a kind is an extra turn on.  Plus I've played the crap out my Fly, it needs new saddles and I've never been that happy with the pickups that are in it.

Question about my new DF

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
Question about my new DF
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:33:50 AM »
Fretnoise - Billy T (aka Terry) is production manager at the USM plant where Parkers are made. Its great to see that some protos get out there for sale. Terry has a lot of years in the guitar building business and is very keen to try out new ideas. Xmas Fly- love it !!!

*New! Schecter C7 Hellraiser! ,  Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic (in Purple!), Fender Blues DeVille, Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, *NEW* Sequis Motherload Elemental
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Question about my new DF

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
Question about my new DF
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:58:51 AM »
I absolutely love the US domestic 'softwoods' for body woods - they are awesome!! I made a Tele body out of Western Red Cedar last year and the tone quality is unreal. I have heard really great things about Douglas-Fir too - a little harder than Red Alder, a little less stiffer than White Ash with a big difference in density between the grain and the wood between the grain; should have a good balance of highs/lows with a tight low end. I've got a massive old growth Douglas-Fir board I picked up a few months ago, its drying, waiting to be cut up and made into a few Tele or Strat bodies - I can hardly wait.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:06:12 AM by mojotron »

Question about my new DF

Offline fretnoise

Question about my new DF
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 12:08:35 AM »
The Dragonfly arrived tonight!  As BillyT said, it sounds terrific.  If you love those single coil sounds you get from a strat (personally I love the front p/u sound and the second to last position), those sound really great.  It needs a little setting up and explanation for me.  My Fly is a '94, '96 model, somewhere in there and the electronics are quite a bit different.  I don't see a separate tone for the piezo, and the vibrato bar is pretty different.  There is no manual for it so I'm wondering which Fly model it's most similar to.  Anybody know?   Maybe I can learn something from that documentation.

Question about my new DF

Offline sybersitizen

Question about my new DF
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 02:05:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by fretnoise

I don't see a separate tone for the piezo...

Doesn't have one, and neither do the refined Flys.

quote:
...and the vibrato bar is pretty different.

Yep, again like a refined Fly.

Other than that, you have the 5 position magnetic switch; the 3 position mag/mix/piezo switch; mag volume; mag tone with push/pull split coil; and piezo volume. I think that's it.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Question about my new DF

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Question about my new DF
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:16:33 AM »
Is there a push-pull switch on the mag tone?

Question about my new DF

Offline BillyT

Question about my new DF
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »
Yes there is. The pull position splits the humbucker. This allows you to get the middle and bridge combined with the bridge humbucker split to a single. When they are split and combined, they combine to an RWRP configuration giving hum canceling. They are also RWRP in the neck and middle position so this is also hum cancelling.