Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: classical - now what?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline kbgeezer99

classical - now what?
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
Friends,
imagine you had classical education for years (that god darn foot stuhl...), still the nails on for fingerpicking on an acoustic and you were to learn techniques on the Fly (right hand AND left hand) from ground zero again (in a fair amount of time before rheuma kicks in, so 5 years)...
...what would you guys recommend?

(anything, but please not the Steve Vai 700 hours breakfast program...) thanks!!!

classical - now what?

Offline prjacobs

classical - now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
I used to play a great deal with my fingers, with very light gauge strings.  .008 - 038.  And with that setup, you can use a very thin pick as well.  But I didn't use the nails on my right hand, just the flesh.....

classical - now what?

Online Patzag

• Administrator
classical - now what?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Listen to and look at Jeff Beck.
Who needs a pick?  (I do ... but wish I could do what Jeff does[;)])
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

classical - now what?

Offline Roland

classical - now what?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
Stick with the fingers, and move on to fingerstyle jazz.  

You might like to put some heavier strings on, 10s or 11s, to get nearer the tension you're used to on the acoustic.  

When the rheumatism starts having an impact you'll find that you have to give up the acoustic, but can still play the Fly.

Roland
This is my band  http://www.thebandofgold.org.uk
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/
Roland
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/

classical - now what?

Offline bno

classical - now what?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
Take a couple lessons.  As a classially trained musician you already have the work ethic and study skills.  Start listening to what you want to do.  Look at/explore your signal chain - tone is a critical component of non-acoustic music.  Go ahead and try a pick (head to your local non-big box guitar store and buy a selection of shapes and weights)_- although there probably isn't anything you can do with a pick you can't do with your fingers, it does create a particular sound/feel.  

There are a techniques electric guitarists do with their left (neck) hand that a classically trained player doesn't do - various vibrato techniques, thumb over the top chording, playing with the flat pad of the finger rather than the tip and string bending licks and tricks, come to mind.

And I agree, watch Jeff Beck.  And the blues and Jazz and shred metal and Zappa and fusion and Adrian Belew and good country pickers and the list never ends.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

classical - now what?

Offline kbgeezer99

classical - now what?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:00:47 AM »
Thanks very much all. Appreciate that a lot.
Actually Jeff Beck has inspired also my inspirers :-)

Thanks a lot.