Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beautiful finish!  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Beautiful finish!

Offline danjazzny

Beautiful finish!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
Love the pearl white and the abalone binding is the icing on the cake! [:D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 Custom TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 Custom 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '96 Dayn Deluxe (Hardtail)5lbs; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Beautiful finish!

Offline sybersitizen

Beautiful finish!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:58:36 PM »
Yep, looks good.

Also from the description:

"LEFT HANDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hmm, I don't think so.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Beautiful finish!

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
Beautiful finish!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
Has somebody talked about Pearl White?
Here we go :)
White mojo... present!!!! :):):)

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
POD X3 Pro
VOX AC30CC2X modded
Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50
Palmer PDI-03
(more gear on my website)

"I haven't got a 1968 Plexi, but.. I've got 1968 Rayban Aviators! :)"
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Beautiful finish!

Offline Twanking45

Beautiful finish!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »
What exactly does pearl white look like up close. I'd imagine it's a metallic white, which interests me. Does it turn yellow over time? I generally steer clear of white guitars cuz they discolor over time. What makes pearl white so special?

Twank

-SA Nitefly SSS (1995)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

Beautiful finish!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Beautiful finish!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »
I had a white Fender strat for years and it's color was fast.  I sold it (after I for my Fly) and the owner left it three months on a stand in a sun illuminated room. The guitar turned slightly yellow (think  concentrated milk color). So I guess it matters how you care for it.
I am not entirely sure what pearl white is but you can look at the finish guide on the forum. Marco can tell you more about this. And I'll post some high quality photos when I get mine :))))
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Beautiful finish!

Offline Marco76

Beautiful finish!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »
As I understand it, in a metal-flake paint, tiny bits of metal or mirror-like plastic are suspended along with the paint-coloring pigment in a medium, and they glint through the transparent medium, reflecting the pigment. (A one-step metal-flake paint.) In pale paint colors, though, it takes so much pigment solids to hide whatever is underneath that the flakes become obscured and cloudy.

To make a flake version of those colors, such as white and yellow, an opaque pigment layer is covered with a transparent flake-suspension layer. (A two-step metal-flake paint.) In order that the flakes not stand out as silver bits or obscure the pigmented layer, they are made of transparent or translucent plastic. The plastic may be colored to emphasize the pigment color, e.g. clear yellow flakes on a yellow base coat to yield a yellow "metal flake" finish. Here, the flakes are slightly orange over a yellow base:

With white, in particular, the reflected light is of such a full spectrum that perfectly clear flakes can be used for a prismatic effect that looks like pearl. Not just the pigment color, but a prism of colors is reflected from the paint.

Lately, specialized flakes have been developed to give color-change effects or partial-spectrum prismatic effects.

As I say, that is as I understand it; I am always willing to be educated by a more knowledgeable person.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:17:38 PM by Marco76 »
Marco

Beautiful finish!

Offline Twanking45

Beautiful finish!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »
Wow, that pic above does look pearl-ish. very impressive. Other manufacturers would do well to start using it. It is truly a sexy beast. Marco, is Dusty Black the same concept-- black with clear plastic flakes? I have a Dusty black deluxe and i stare, transfixed, at the finish, lost in it's mini universe, turning over in my mind how it could possibly have been created, my powers of logic smashing headlong into the brick wall of my own ignorance on the subject.

Twank

-SA Nitefly SSS (1995)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

Beautiful finish!

Offline Marco76

Beautiful finish!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 02:25:31 AM »
For what I would guess are reasons of cost control, all of the standard Parker metal-flake finishes have been one-step types. (You will also notice that there are very, very few metallic car finishes in yellow. Honda did do one; the others were Lamborghini and Corvette for extra $$$.) Metal-flake white (NOT pearl) would be extremely rare, if even possible.

Anyway, the Dusty Black is among the finishes along with Ruby, Emerald, Plum, and Majik that are one-step metal flakes and not specifically pearlescent. Not to say they are not uncommonly refined and subtle as metal-flakes go. I do not have a Dusty Black, but the others are both dramatic and yet a bit subdued, and come alive under stage lighting. These are not shriek-in-your-face, bass-boat yahoos. Well, okay, Majik is pretty much in-your-face. :D
Marco