Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: blackfly's '73 fretless bass  (Read 9967 times)

Offline blackfly

blackfly's '73 fretless bass
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »
Cy2989  On 3/13/10 at the end of the Koa thread I replied to you. Like I said, I hope we can all stay friends, no offense taken or intended. No worries. The lower bout of the bass originally had another curve on it , although it was small, and it was difficult to play sitting down. At a later time, nineteen eighty something? Ken was hand building custom basses (four ,five and six srings)and they not only had reinforced necks, but also a sit- friendly curve on the lower bout. So he kind of added this one, not the prettiest addition, but functional. The pickups and tuners are all original and paid for with the money I got selling my first Japanese short neck bass. The scale is 34 5/8". I loved the growl of an upright double-bass, but I did'nt think I could play one. Yes it is # one. Period. I recently found on this site an entry by an old friend of Kens who has an early instrument, and although I had forgotten about it, I instantly recognized the photo, and the similarity of the two bodies. The bass does have that great growl I love to hear on Jazz recordings. I have'nt played it much since getting the fly.
93 cedar fly deluxe [8 made I think],73 Parker fretless bass

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by blackfly

Cy2989  On 3/13/10 at the end of the Koa thread I replied to you. Like I said, I hope we can all stay friends, no offense taken or intended. No worries.

Hey Alan, no offense meant and non taken.  I'm straight-forward and just say things the way I see them.  So I'm curious.  Are you Ken's brother?  You have implied as much and I think it would be cool to just come out and introduce yourself if you are.  So how about it?

Offline blackfly

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »
I kind of thought I already said it, since you asked, yes, I'm his brother. By the way, your scepticism only shows your true knowledge of the subject and if you'll notice, it was my doubts about another member that you quoted in the koa thread, and I would like to say, if I was wrong about those people , I apologize. Thanks, Alan

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
I guess I missed the thread where you said as much.  When you posted to me directly you simply said to check your profile.  I knew what you were implying but when you are KP's brother posting on the Parker forum I guess I expected some kind of formal announcement.  Not a requirement, it just seemed natural to me.  I'm sure you can see how some people, wanting to sell something, might use a story like this to do it.  Anyway, nice to meet you Alan.

Offline blackfly

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »
Nice to meet you too. It seems you have quite an amazing collection. I like the custom knobs also. At one time I was wishing I had chrome knobs on my guitar to go with all that other shiny stuff.