Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Distortion Pedal Survey--Your Opinions Are Needed!  (Read 8185 times)

Offline mountaindewaddict

Distortion Pedal Survey--Your Opinions Are Needed!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »
This may sound dumb, but I can answer all 6 questions in two words: WAY HUGE.

Their pedals are so incredible.  I have the Pork Loin, Fat Sandwich, and Fuzzy Pickle, and between those and my amp, there's no OD/DS/FZ sound I can't get.

But my answer betrays an essential bias of my tastes: Flexibility.  I like a pedal to be able to go from "very little" to "very much."

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), P-38, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

This may sound dumb, but I can answer all 6 questions in two words: WAY HUGE.

Their pedals are so incredible.  I have the Pork Loin, Fat Sandwich, and Fuzzy Pickle, and between those and my amp, there's no OD/DS/FZ sound I can't get.

But my answer betrays an essential bias of my tastes: Flexibility.  I like a pedal to be able to go from "very little" to "very much."

Casey

God Bless!

Hey Casey, but that's three pedals!  At over $150.00 - $180.00 each.

So if you had to live with one???
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 04:18:12 PM »
1. What is your current favorite guitar effect pedal?
Keeley modded Ibanez DD-9 delay.

2. When looking for a distortion or overdrive pedal, what is the result you would expect to get from it?
Some variety. From gentle purr to out of control madness.

3. If an overdrive/distortion pedal was made to your specifications, what would it do?
See above, and add in super strong harmonics.

4. How would you describe the ultimate distortion/overdrive tone?
2+3=4, just this once.

5. When you think of the ultimate overdrive or distortion, what object comes to mind?
Ranges from a purring engine to a chainsaw cutting an I-beam in half.

6. Is there a word, phrase or image that would represents the best or ultimate overdrive or distortion tone?
Depends on the part, depends on the song...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:19:45 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
TS 808
2. When looking for a distortion or overdrive pedal, what is the result you would expect to get from it?
smooth overdrive with just enough sparkle to bite gently.
3. If an overdrive/distortion pedal was made to your specifications, what would it do?
it would have a foot rocker which allows dialing in the gain So I can go from the gentle sparkle to the violin-smooth OD with a single flowing rocking of the pedal.
I'd also want two gain stages with a switch to engage the second stage. Kinda like having 2 808's in a row and having one of them dialable on the fly. Wow!

a hybrid of SRV and Eric Johnson.
5. When you think of the ultimate overdrive or distortion, what object comes to mind?
 Dumble logo
6. Is there a word, phrase or image that would represents the best or ultimate overdrive or distortion tone?
a scrunched up guitar face.

I'd buy that Paul. Definitely.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:19:16 PM by Patzag »

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

Your opinions on this short survey would be greatly appreciated:

I use 3 different pedals, I mostly use a homemade Fulldrive-2, a Plexizer (I posted this one on Aron's forum - it's a Thunderchief with the marshall tonestack and a small hpf on the front end) and a homemade OCD that's a combo of V1 through V4 (I don't think this one's a great pedal, but I keep using it - sort of a love/hate thing...).

I really want to hear the original tone of the guitar - so a strat would sound like a strat and a fly would sound like a fly. Also, the tone has to have a realistic amp sound - I cringe at a 'canned' distortion sound.

It would have to cover a good Fender and Marshall overdrive sound and react well with a booster pedal in front of it.

Capable of being very warm without getting muddy, something with very pleasant mids and capable of getting very complex overtones on the high end without having the high-end getting too busy/fuzzy. A Fulldrive-2 is great for Fender territory with the right diodes - also I think this is where I think the Thunderchief/Plexizer does well for a marshall-ish sound - the problem is the jfet biasing though - I think you have to have just the right fets and tweak them just right - then the tone is quite good.  

Not sure - but I like a distortion that really moves a 12" speaker when playing on the lower strings - like a heavy train going fast.

Musical - kind of like a FuzzFace - it's just a simple fuzz that is highly variable in quality, but they are typically very musical.

Offline Marco76

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »
Wow, moje. Great answer.
Marco

Offline Marco76

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Patzag
it would have a foot rocker which allows dialing in the gain So I can go from the gentle sparkle to the violin-smooth OD with a single flowing rocking of the pedal.

Not to beat it to death, cuz it's pretty clear that I like the ZVex stuff, but there is a pedal version of the Fuzz Factory:

http://media1.zvex.com/fuzzprobe.mov

Trouble is, it takes reSTRAINt and control to use the Fuzz Probe. It is the Stability function that is moderated, and it has a big effect very quickly AND changing it can have a more pronounced effect than the possible static positions within its range.

Everyone wants to wah-wah this pedal. Even the ZVex demo doesn't know what to do with it. As Zachary says in the video narration, he has set the Fuzz for a given sound (one of dozens), then, in the first seconds of the video, he moves through the full range of sensitivity for the antenna (maybe 20 degrees of arc for the boot sole, as the antenna is set there). You'd want to isolate about 5 degrees of arc from that to work with.

The antenna sensitivity distance is adjustable, but almost always too wide a range to use the whole sweep from full contact to full disconnect. One trick is to set it up for a range of the effect that is based upon either full contact OR full disconnect. Then practice keeping your foot in that range, and move within that range with patience.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:36:49 PM by Marco76 »
Marco

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
Maybe it's my imagination, but sometimes I seem to be  able to tell when it's a ZVex Fuzz Factory on a record on the radio.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline sfw

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »
I would say that everyone else's opinions on this subject are certainly more valid than mine, as I don't have that much experience with the pedal world. I've used a POD and a few others overtime, but not really found that much a liking to them.

I would actually agree with Alex on this one, definately an good attenuator! You "may" end using more tubes over time, but so what? I'm not using Alex's, as I've had one for a while, but I would suggest anyone looking for one, that would be one of the best choices on the market, having tried a lot and listend/talked with Alex about these over time.

Otherwise, I use a Keeley Modded TS 808 and a Keeley Modded Boss BD2 at different times, often with a compressor.

I just "hear" so many different tones I want for different songs that I don't/can't find something that would be for everything. I guess I'm not really good enough to have to have MY tone really. I enjoy the AMPs probably more than the pedals and like getting the AMP driven harder through the attenuator for tone.

- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Marco76

Wow, moje. Great answer.

Thanks - it's a good question. I like to hear others ideas on using effects, I learn something new from it all the time.

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Patzag
Hey Casey, but that's three pedals!  At over $150.00 - $180.00 each.

So if you had to live with one???

Good point, Patzag.  And for the record, I only have about $300 wrapped up in the trio (Yay Ebay!).

I guess the ultimate SINGLE dirt box for me would be a two-mode hybrid of the three.  On one side, I want the Fuzzy Pickle as it is, because it's that good.  On the other side, I'd love something that has the range range of both the Pork Loin and Fat Sandwich - from a throaty boost to full-on saturation.  If I could find a single pedal that did all that, I'd sell the Way Huge stuff to get that one.  But it would have do a heck of a lot for under 3 bills, and that would be tough. [;)]

And to answer your final question, if I HAD to choose only one, I'd go with the Fuzzy Pickle.  That Fuzz is just killer.  Not only that, but it does a pretty good distortion too, if you play with the "scoop" and "crunch" knobs.

Casey

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
Thanks Casey. All cleared up.
I checked out the demo of the FuzzProbe because I thought it might do what I want, but no. It sounded atrocious to me.
I was thinking more in the vein of a Clapton boost controllable with a foot rocker.  That kind of thing.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 09:49:16 AM »
I love the idea of a rocker pedal to control the saturation (or gain) of a dirt box.  The really cool thing about the WH Fat Sandwich is that you can crank the saturation without a huge increase in overall output (that's what the volume knob is for).

Paul (Marrosy), if you could find some way to do the same with a rocker pedal (i.e., increase the saturation or distortion without increasing the volume [much! [;)] ]), you'd have a winner in my book.

Oh, and it needs good EQ settings too.  I'm thinking Bass, Lo-Mid, Hi-Mid, Treble knobs, set up to boost/cut with unity at 12 o'clock.

Casey

God Bless!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:50:18 AM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »
Analogman King of Tone.

Natural sounding distortion/od that sounds like the amp the pedal is running through. No coloring like a Tube Screamer. Open and natural with no compression.

It would have 3 channels. Channel one would be a pre-amp that would stay on relatively all the time. Channel two would be overdrive to distortion with a mid control like the Fulltone GT500 distortion channel. Channel 3 would be a boost with tone control. The pedal would have an in and out for each section so I could run it at different sections of my selector switch, or it could be run in and out once like a normal pedal.

Natural sounding like the amp. NO CLIPPING DIODES.

Dumble, Two-Rock, Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East.

Transparent.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline bno

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

I love the idea of a rocker pedal to control the saturation (or gain) of a dirt box.  The really cool thing about the WH Fat Sandwich is that you can crank the saturation without a huge increase in overall output (that's what the volume knob is for).

Paul (Marrosy), if you could find some way to do the same with a rocker pedal (i.e., increase the saturation or distortion without increasing the volume [much! [;)] ]), you'd have a winner in my book.

Oh, and it needs good EQ settings too.  I'm thinking Bass, Lo-Mid, Hi-Mid, Treble knobs, set up to boost/cut with unity at 12 o'clock.

Casey

God Bless!

This is actually a really cool idea.  I'm thinking of how a really good tube amp compresses as it starts to break up and you control it with your volume knob.  And it creates this sort of "variable" distortion box.  Yeah, I like this.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.