Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Distortion Pedal Survey--Your Opinions Are Needed!  (Read 8181 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Distortion Pedal Survey--Your Opinions Are Needed!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno

This is actually a really cool idea.  I'm thinking of how a really good tube amp compresses as it starts to break up and you control it with your volume knob.  And it creates this sort of "variable" distortion box.  Yeah, I like this.

I agree, it's not a bad idea. The question is how much would someone be willing to pay for that? The parts costs add up very quickly when a wah shell enclosure and a heavy duty potentiometer gets involved. That's $80 minimum all by itself.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 03:46:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy
I agree, it's not a bad idea. The question is how much would someone be willing to pay for that? The parts costs add up very quickly when a wah shell enclosure and a heavy duty potentiometer gets involved. That's $80 minimum all by itself.

Well, I paid $120 for the Fat Sandwich (gently used from a recording studio selling off some stuff on CL).  I'd gladly drop an extra $30 to be able to control the saturation with my foot, but to also have the pedal be really reactive to my guitar's volume knob, like bno said.  So maybe in the $145-$160 range for an AMERICAN MADE, high quality pedal with all those features seems fair.  

PS Paul - put it in a Morley enclosure so we can see the settings.  Knobs on the side are a pain.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe (in Ruby Red), P-38, Digitech GNX4, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

Well, I paid $120 for the Fat Sandwich (gently used from a recording studio selling off some stuff on CL).  I'd gladly drop an extra $30 to be able to control the saturation with my foot, but to also have the pedal be really reactive to my guitar's volume knob, like bno said.  So maybe in the $145-$160 range for an AMERICAN MADE, high quality pedal with all those features seems fair.  

PS Paul - put it in a Morley enclosure so we can see the settings.  Knobs on the side are a pain.

Casey

The problem is that I would be building them for free at that price. I think it would be more like a minimum of $235 to make any money on them, which is the idea here.

A whole lot of "boutique" pedals go for $199 retail. I think another $35 for an easily adjustable gain control wouldn't be that much more to bite off.

Don't have a source for Morely pedal enclosures. I don't like them anyway, they are GINORMIS.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:36:28 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
quote:

Casey

God Bless!

Here's my take on it guys, let me know what you think:
The pedal is a usual pedal in shape with all the settings needed to make it function, but there's three jacks on it: Input, Output and Ext Controller.  The ext controller is the rocker pedal and connects up with a regular 1/4" cord.  Put it where you want it on your board.  It's also optional.  Pay the extra 30, 40 or 50 for the rocker unit (or whatever it costs) or live without it if you don't need/want it.  So the overdrive pedal costs, let's say $195 and the rocker unit costs $40.  Total is $235 for the best O/D on the market with the best control of any pedal.  Yeah, I think that'd be worth it.

Maybe Paul can make a limited edition run for the Parker Forum members?  Who'd be interested?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:44:05 PM by Patzag »
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
Patzag makes an excellent point.  +1 and scratch what I said about the Morley stuff.

The only possible problem with that is that a standard Boss size pedal AND an expression pedal will take up EVEN MORE room on the board than a Morley.

Casey

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
quote:

The only possible problem with that is that a standard Boss size pedal AND an expression pedal will take up EVEN MORE room on the board than a Morley.

I built a tremolo pedal for a friend that has an expression pedal capability. But Casey is right, and I don't like that idea because of how much room it would take up on a pedalboard. I suppose you could offer two versions, one that uses an expression pedal and one that doesn't. It wouldn't be too hard to design a "universal" PCB that could work in either scenario.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 08:15:11 PM »
Yeah - for me, I would ditch so much useless stuff off my board if I had one of these that it would be just fine! [:)]
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline bno

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 09:38:58 PM »
I thought about this and it needs some sort of ganged and scaled set of controls so that as the gain/distortion goes up, the volume goes proportionately down - the level remains roughly the same as the circuit overdrives and clipping increases - maybe a bit of boost as the distortion goes over the top.  I love this idea and the $250 range seems about right for something so unique.  Also, I would suggest that at full front travel would be cleanest, right before the footswitch activates the true bypass.  As it rocks back to your heal the gain/clipping becomes more pronounced until finally at full rock back it's just melting everything in its path.  I can hear this in my head.  Let's call it the Marossy Distofrappé.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:41:13 PM by bno »
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:49 AM »
+1,000,000 BNO!  I think you nailed it! [:D] [^] [8D]

Casey

God Bless!
Casey

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 09:07:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno
Let's call it the Marossy Distofrappé.

Alternatively, we could call it the PJM "DriveThrottle"

Casey

God Bless!
Casey

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
You guys come up with good names. Y'all helped my name the "flyBOB" things that I build.

I like the idea of something to do with a gas pedal or drive train. Gotta think about that some more.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
Dirty Down, Clean up.

Heel to Heaven, Toe to Hell.

Heel to Clean, Toe to Dirt.

Dirty Toe Down, Clean Toe Up.

Clean to Scream and All Between.

The Footchamacallit.

The Foot Drive.

The Turbo Toe Drive Pedal.

A Drive Fly Booting.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:25:26 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline bno

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 07:27:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Dirty Down, Clean up.

Heel to Heaven, Toe to Hell.

Heel to Clean, Toe to Dirt.

Dirty Toe Down, Clean Toe Up.

Clean to Scream and All Between.

The Footchamacallit.

The Foot Drive.

The Turbo Toe Drive Pedal.

A Drive Fly Booting.

"Footchamcallit" - love it.  I'm wondering if the 'polarity' of the pedal can be switchable.  The on/off switch is usually in the full toe down.  I like the notion of "clean" before off.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno

"Footchamcallit" - love it.  I'm wondering if the 'polarity' of the pedal can be switchable.  The on/off switch is usually in the full toe down.  I like the notion of "clean" before off.

I liked the "Drive Fly Booting" one, I got a kick out of that.

Not a bad idea. The connections on the pot could be reversed using a DPDT switch, or a 4PDT switch if it is a dual ganged pot. Making a dual ganged pot work in a wah shell is very challenging, though.

Maybe I will work on this idea in the near future.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:20:06 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »
1. What is your current favorite guitar effect pedal?
--POD X3Live
2. When looking for a distortion or overdrive pedal, what is the result you would expect to get from it?
--Usually just like a monkey wen over and turned the gain up on the tiny terror. But I find lately I get most of that sound with an OD Amp model, and the stomp is to just boost volume a bit more.
3. If an overdrive/distortion pedal was made to your specifications, what would it do?
--I'm not v knowledgeable on these things. Mostly be reliable. Once I get THAT sound be relaible when I set all the knobs in the same place the next time.
4. How would you describe the ultimate distortion/overdrive tone?
Not sure there is one. If you could get a scary sound at any volume, that'd be it for me. I was doing some recording with the nitefly and the black widow straight into the Tiny Terror. For the lead sounds I turned the gain up way more than I normally would and the volume as much as I could stand to be with it in the room. I couldn't use it much as it was too dominant in the mix. :D But it sounded purty.
5. When you think of the ultimate overdrive or distortion, what object comes to mind?
--Something that would be crunch on its' own but soar when you played a it harder.
6. Is there a word, phrase or image that would represents the best or ultimate overdrive or distortion tone?
--Organic.

http://illicitizen.com
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:30:54 AM by doombilly »