Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baaad Mojo  (Read 5614 times)

Offline 0sparky0

• http://siliconesister.net
Baaad Mojo
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:51:45 PM »
At the beginning of the year I ordered my first Parker from our local dealer.  We were all pretty excited.  It showed up about four months later.  Looked nice, super light, and the neck....well, there just isn't another one like it.  We took it out for a show and couldn't keep a string on it from breaking, nor keep it to stay tuned with any use of the whammy.  Next show we had the same problems.  Went back to the dealer for heavier guage strings, then had the same problems again with 10's.  At that point the dealer called his rep who said it should be sent back to them for a set-up and that it would be right back to us.  I would also mention that one of the pots had failed by then too.  That was the end of July,  we got it back last Friday.  Speedy.  It came back with 11's on it and in e flat as requested.  First time out of the case with the whammy it went out of tune, and a few strums after that the new pot broke and would not turn off.  The dealer got on the phone with the rep who found something not right from the factory and had the shop adjust the tuning issue.  The shop guitar tech drove to guitar to our soundcheck that night after working on it after hours.

At the show the pot worked.  The guitar still won't stay in tune with use of the whammy bar.

What do you do when you've dished out a couple grand for a guitar that can't be played?

When it went back and didn't return as promised, we bought a couple Jackson USA guitars, which don't feel nearly as good, but DO stay in tune ALL the time.  

Unfortunately, the back of the guitar now has a good buckle rash on it, so I don't see us being able to recover much in terms of re-selling it.

I and the rest of the band would love to hear from anyone who might be able to help us with this tuning issue (it hasn't stayed in tune long enough to know if the string-breaking will continue). We have a pretty high profile band in this area, and definitely shred on the guitars, but nothing that any serious player would consider abusive to blame it on.

Sorry to have such a bummer of a first post, but I'm disgusted to have spent so much money and have had such a horrible experience with the down-time and guitar performance.  

Much appreciated.

[V]

Baaad Mojo

Offline 908ssp

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 11:09:14 PM »
Welcome to the Parker forum. [:D]

I wish it were under happier circumstances. The tuning issue can be fixed or at least it isn't an issue on my Deluxe or my buddies Deluxe. He uses the whammy bar more then I do and they stay in tune nearly perfect. We both use 009s and have never broken a string that wasn't a faulty string. Actually the wrap came undone so even that might not count. I do believe the tunning issue can be repaired. The nut might not be cut correctly or the strings stretched adequately it is imposable to know without the guitar in my hands. It is remotely possible the your guitar has bad bearings or some other odd situation. The electrics seems to be a reoccurring theme lately and better pots and switches can be installed but you really shouldn't have to do it if they are junk to start with. My early guitar has never had an electrical problem due to cheap parts. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 11:10:18 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Baaad Mojo

Offline Synth guitarist

• http://bustmouth.com
Baaad Mojo
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:53:21 AM »
Man I must say that's one sad joke, paying that amount of money and getting nothing but headaches in return. I wish you the best...
2000 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Parker Pm-10 Synth
Line 6 Flextone II HD
Line 6 4x12S

Baaad Mojo

Offline darkest_fugue

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 06:54:49 AM »
im sorry to hear about your bad experience but too many of us it seems are in the same boat...advice to anyone out there considering buying a parker who has a lot of whammy use in their technique i wouldnt go for it...the vibrato design is quite brilliant but i have a supreme and a mojo and neither of them stay in tune with vibrato use...the 3rd strings jump at least a semi tone sharp if you do any kind of dives with it...and again i have the strings slots cut properly and the vibratos set up properly...the tuning is rock solid with string bends and heavy strumming but use the vibrato and out it goes...i now have both guitars fixed with whammy dives courtesy of my multi effects....as for the string breaking and the guitar not staying in tune i dont have thease issues....are the strings breaking in random places or is it the same string breaking in the same place all the time???...if so that should pinpoint the problem???....having electrical problems are we??...oh yes here we go again....i havent had a pot problem as yet but im expecting it as both my pickup switches are faulty ...i gave up last week and sent the guitar to my local luthier who i hope can change out the switches...the guitar was just un gigable im looking forward to getting it back now as it really is a good guitar...i just wish parker pays attention to all this and puts right thease issues which at the price the mojo costs should really be a non issue in the first place...as for me if i was buying another parker ill be chasing up the older models...in fact theres an older emerald green supreme on e bay right now...being a supreme older already i just drooled when i saw it

Baaad Mojo

Offline 908ssp

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 09:16:57 AM »
I use Peterson Strobe Stomp on my pedal board in an always on setup. My Fly stays in tune no mater what I do. I wouldn't give up. I do not use any lubricant on the nut. I have no wraps on the tuner posts. The slots are cut one size larger then the strings I use. I use Snake Oil Brand Strings 009s. I do not change strings as the SOB strings last and sound great for months. I do play at least a couple hours 5 days a week. The tremolo bearings are very smooth and friction free. Is it possible that Parker changed the bearing quality? The spring is centered and bends in to the guitar cavity so it doesn't rub on anything. I don't use the stop I run full floating and IT STAYS IN TUNE. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Baaad Mojo

Offline darkest_fugue

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 08:59:40 PM »
im happy for you that you have a parker that stays in tune with the whammy and ive met others who are the same but its not my case ...its not too bad however i have found another way around my problem

Baaad Mojo

Offline trap

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 05:53:50 PM »
hi, last winter i bought a mojo flame that came with a rattling truss rod and very uneven balls on the saddles,so the strings were different heights. i complained to parker and with some persuasion they gave me a new mojo which was set up great.no problems.they want to please their customers but you can't take any sh... either.this guitar should be fixed in a timely manner or replaced,plain and simple.i should mention that peter hix at hix bros music was instrumental (no pun) in getting action for me.

Baaad Mojo

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
Baaad Mojo
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 12:39:45 PM »
We have not changed the bearings.

Baaad Mojo

Offline splitfinger

• http://www.myspace.com/matick
Baaad Mojo
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »
okay, well, is it a new parker, like, made recently, or used? ( i was to bored to read your whole thigin.) if its new, parker was sold to washburn, and now parker isnt as grealty made as it was when they were made independantly in masss. nothing you really ca do about that, if its an old parker, you stumped me. sorry man.

word to ya mother.

Baaad Mojo

Offline trap

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 07:56:42 AM »
your dead wrong splitfinger.i had a boston mojo,and i have a us music mojo,and the one i have is every bit as good and even better sounding ,because even parkers have individuality.

Baaad Mojo

Offline splitfinger

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 05:14:16 PM »
the ones that are made by washburn tend to go out of tone often and need checkups constantly. i have a mojo that is 4 years oldmade from mass and it has only needed 2 check up the whole time, although im doing something to the truss rod now. i dont no, but they were better made.

word to ya mother.

Baaad Mojo

Offline trap

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 08:07:07 AM »
thats not my experience.

Baaad Mojo

Offline splitfinger

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 04:53:06 PM »
well then your lucky.

word to ya mother.

Baaad Mojo

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
Baaad Mojo
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 08:23:39 AM »
It is impossible to have a four year old Mojo.  They didn't start shipping until August of 2003.

John

Baaad Mojo

Offline splitfinger

Baaad Mojo
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 02:29:13 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPs. i was talking about a nitefly.

word to ya mother.