Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Overpriced with piss poor resale value! Parker Fly  (Read 25459 times)

Offline mynameis905

Overpriced with piss poor resale value! Parker Fly
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
Maybe someone can help me out with this?

My local guitar center offered me 60% of $1200.00 for my 2008 Parker Fly Mojo w/OHSC and all case candy!

For those of you math majors... that's $720.00!!!

I have been trying to sell this guitar for close to a week and nothing has worked out.

How is it that a guitar has a MSRP of $4299.00 and retails New for $3299.00 cannot sell for $1650.00!? Especially a made in the USA guitar. I am already taking a $250.00 loss on what I paid for it a little over a month ago.

I am selling because well, I played one practice with it and I did not like it. I miss my Gibson SG!;(

If the Parker Fly is so versatile and everyone loves Seymour "friggin'" Duncan pickups sooooo much why is this guitar not more desirable than it seems to be???

After all of this (if I ever sell this guitar) I will NOT buy another Parker again... they seem to be a horrible investment with little or no resale value.

Disappointed,
Jack
- 2008 Parker Fly MOJO
- 2001 Gibson PT Sig. SG
- Mesa Boogie DC-2
- Visual Sound H20
- Visual Sound Oil Can
- Visual Sound J/H

Offline simonlock

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
it's not the value they're just ripping you off. Long and McQuade of Vancouver does the same thing.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Hey Jack,
I understand why you're pissed. But the thing is, you've got to be willing to wait it out a bit and sell it to someone who wants the guitar.  Guitar center will give you 700 bucks and they'll see the guitar for more than you paid for it originally because they can show it in store and let people try it and so forth.

I never lost any money on Parkers.

I sold a Single 2 on Ebay after I was called a thief for trying to get a good price on it. I just waited it out.  I posted with a starting price of $1800 if I recall corectly and it sold for $2550!  After I was offered $1300 for it.  And it wasn;t in Mint condition.
Economics are like that.  If you decide to let the guitar go for $800 then YOU have now established the resale value for a Mojo!
We, forum users, must also be willing not to cheapen the value of our gear.  We want to pay peanuts and sell for Gold - understood, but then understand that eventually, when you sell, you'll have to sell for peanuts too.  I don't like that.

The other thing is that a guitar is not an "investment" most of the time.  Unless you get into vintage or vintage-potential gear.  Otherwise, there's little to gain in buying a guitar for investment.

My suggestion is that you post the guitar for sale for the amount you want to sell it. Put lots of pictures and SELL the guitar, instead of dissing it.

If I posted a sale or trade ad saying I wanted to trade it for an SG on a Parker forum, you'd probably have a hard time finding a buyer.  Find something you like about the guitar and sell that.  Show it to friends, and if you can manage to sell them on what you liked about it instead of dissing the instrument, you might find someone who falls in love with it and will pay what it should sell for.

Why don't you give that a try?

Patrick
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline mynameis905

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the response...

The guitar plays great! Probably the smoothest playing guitar I have ever played. Notes are easier to bend on this parker than any other guitar I have played for a long time... but, it is not my SG...plus, I get lost playing on the 25.5 scale.

My guitar is a great guitar and for other Parker owners this guitar is an exceptional instrument. It is so easy to play it tends to play you ;)

I am just lost feeling.

I feel like I am asking an exceptional price for a guitar that seems to do so much.

I am open to reasonable offers...if anyone is willing to bite...?

Jack
- 2008 Parker Fly MOJO
- 2001 Gibson PT Sig. SG
- Mesa Boogie DC-2
- Visual Sound H20
- Visual Sound Oil Can
- Visual Sound J/H

Offline acoustic356

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
You have to understand that every guitar store is going to pay you less than the market price because they have to make money on the deal. They are in the business of making a profit. They assume the same risk in waiting to sell as you do - it just saves you the hassle of having to find a buyer.

On the other side of the coin, I have never purchased a guitar without playing it for a while to make sure that it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Every guitar plays differently - even if they are mass produced. The wood sounds different... the whole 9 yards.

Parker P-36
Parker PM-20 Pro

Offline xjbebop

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »
Dude....
1] Parkers are not "investment" guitars, they are made to be played.
Unfortunately, Parkers have a small fan base compared to the big names.

2] GC is famous for low-balling when buying used gear. One of the worst places to try to sell to.

3] If you're in a hurry to sell, you're gonna take the hit. If you want top $$, you have to be patient.
Timing is everything...

fwiw- I've had 2 guitars on Clist for 4 weeks now. I'm asking a fair price for them, but I'm not desperate enough to give them away. I'll just keep posting them until the right buyer comes along...

Life's too short to play boring guitars...

""Most anything except maybe half-dead drunken gnat is better than Maxx.
Nef""

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mynameis905

How is it that a guitar has a MSRP of $4299.00 and retails New for $3299.00 cannot sell for $1650.00!? Especially a made in the USA guitar. I am already taking a $250.00 loss on what I paid for it a little over a month ago.

I am selling because well, I played one practice with it and I did not like it. I miss my Gibson SG!;(

Others have made some good observations, and here are some more:

1. You should have bought used. No way would I spend $3k+ on a guitar I was unsure about. I paid under $1k for my 2001 Fly last year. Good for me, because it worked out great; but if it hadn't, I could have easily resold it and moved on.

2. Sounds like you sold your SG before thinking. I still have mine (for mostly sentimental reasons, but it's there in case I ever need it).

3. Parkers are wonderful tools, but they're not investments. Don't expect them to hold their value well. The story is very different with older Gibson and Fender guitars. I could sell my severely beat-up SG for twice as much as my very clean looking Fly. Why is this the case? I really don't know, but it just is.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »
By The Way Jack, just saw your Ebay offer.  It's a good ad.  Give it time.  You've got a "high" starting price so most people won't bid on this until the very end.
Great looking guitar. If I had some extra cash, I'd fall for it myself.
Good luck!
Patrick

Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline mynameis905

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »
Thanks guys.

The encouragement is appreciated more than you know.

I do disagree some though.

I believe most guitars are investments. Maybe not all are created equal...but they are all investments.

Had I known that Parker guitars were more difficult to turn than Steinbergers I might not have rushed into one.

As far as being able to play a Parker before you buy in and around Nashville, TN...that's not happening. I think there is only 1 Parker dealer in Tennessee according to Parker and they carry so few Parker guitars it is not worth the trip.

I also did not buy new... I bought used. I thought it was a good price at the time.

Maybe I will sell it yet?

Jack
- 2008 Parker Fly MOJO
- 2001 Gibson PT Sig. SG
- Mesa Boogie DC-2
- Visual Sound H20
- Visual Sound Oil Can
- Visual Sound J/H

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
quote:

I also did not buy new... I bought used. I thought it was a good price at the time.

Oops, I just reread your post. Well, I guess that was a good price for a Mojo, but it's still almost $2k. You can probably resell in the same ballpark, though it may take time to find a buyer.

And did you really sell your SG? It's still in your signature.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline mynameis905

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 02:55:55 PM »
I sold my other SG... it was Gibson 61' Reissue.

I still have my Gibson Pete Townshend Signature SG but, it has P-90's and a little bit of a chunkier neck profile.

Jack
- 2008 Parker Fly MOJO
- 2001 Gibson PT Sig. SG
- Mesa Boogie DC-2
- Visual Sound H20
- Visual Sound Oil Can
- Visual Sound J/H

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
quote:

If the Parker Fly is so versatile and everyone loves Seymour "friggin'" Duncan pickups sooooo much why is this guitar not more desirable than it seems to be???

After all of this (if I ever sell this guitar) I will NOT buy another Parker again... they seem to be a horrible investment with little or no resale value.

First of all, a dealer will give you nothing for it. Sell it to a private party.

Secondly, most people think a "real" guitar is a Gibson or a Fender and so they are biased against guitars they know nothing about and/or can't appreciate because of ignorance or their own opinions that 50 year old guitar designs are better than anything else out there.

Good luck selling it. Too bad you didn't like it.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mynameis905

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »
It's not that I did not "like it"... it is that I did not LOVE IT.

If Parker made these things with a 24.75" scale I might have been more all over it.

I never knew that a matter of inches would affect me so much.

If I were a Strat guy like most of my friends I might absolutely Love it.

Again, thank you for the well wishes. I hope I sell it soon... I am getting anxious ;)

Jack
- 2008 Parker Fly MOJO
- 2001 Gibson PT Sig. SG
- Mesa Boogie DC-2
- Visual Sound H20
- Visual Sound Oil Can
- Visual Sound J/H

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16:48 PM »
Well a quick review of your thread tittle suggests you aren't out to win friends, influence Parker fans,  or sell a guitar around here. But your subsequent posts seem friendly enough.

Parker Flys are certainly not for everyone. Your best bet for highest price on a quick sell is on ebay. Craigslist is second best. The classified section on this forum is occasionally useful.

I must disagree with you in that Guitars are NOT a good investment. Never were. Never will be. You were smart to buy used, but the quicker you need to sell, the less you will recoup. Everyone Knows GC will only give the lowest of the bottomest bottom. To conclude that Parkers are cr@p because of that is naive at best.

Parkers resale is about as good as average. Remember we are about to enter the second wave of a double dip recession. If you need an investment, you would be better off on a different forum. If you are into music and guitars, you should hang around here whether or not you like Parkers because its a great forum with lots of nice and respectful participants.

Good Luck.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:00:01 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
quote:

It's not that I did not "like it"... it is that I did not LOVE IT.

If Parker made these things with a 24.75" scale I might have been more all over it.

Oh, scale length. I see. I'm a former Strat guy, so yeah, I do love my Parker. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams