Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Overpriced with piss poor resale value! Parker Fly  (Read 26735 times)

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Overpriced with piss poor resale value! Parker Fly
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2010, 06:14:43 AM »
sybersitizen: "Is it important to any of us that the Fly be a popular instrument?"

I like it when they're a success so they can keep on making the existing models and experiment with new designs and solutions. Other than that I'm more than comfortable with being part of only a small group of guitarists who appreciate the Fly for what it is. And I've said it before, Parkers would still be great if they were a hundred times as popular as they're now but they'd also lose quite some of that individualism appeal that is (at least for me) pretty important.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Nefarius

sybersitizen: "Is it important to any of us that the Fly be a popular instrument?"

I like it when they're a success so they can keep on making the existing models and experiment with new designs and solutions. Other than that I'm more than comfortable with being part of only a small group of guitarists who appreciate the Fly for what it is. And I've said it before, Parkers would still be great if they were a hundred times as popular as they're now but they'd also lose quite some of that individualism appeal that is (at least for me) pretty important.

Greetings...
Nef

+1 [^][:)]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97  TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '99 Tobacco Sunburst Supreme 5lbs13oz; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2010, 05:13:38 AM »
+2 - even if I don't like the looks of the new DFs much.

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
VOX AC30CC2X modded
Marshall JCM800 1959 SuperLead (1981)
Marshall JMP-1 MIDI valve preamp
Palmer PDI-03
Blackstar HT-Boost valve pedal
(more gear on my website)

"I haven't got a 1968 Plexi, but.. I've got 1968 Rayban Aviators! :)"
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
I bought a used Fly Classic for $700 from a retail guitar store.  The guitar was in absolutely excellent condition and came with the original gig bag, trem bar, manual, and cable.

I've never understood why some of these guitars sold for so little.

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bostjan

I bought a used Fly Classic for $700 from a retail guitar store.  The guitar was in absolutely excellent condition and came with the original gig bag, trem bar, manual, and cable.

I've never understood why some of these guitars sold for so little.

Nice bargain!
Well, it's been discussed largely.. most probably, because of the poor attention that Parker has always reserved to marketing

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
1993 Japanese "lawsuit" 1959 replica Les Paul
VOX AC30CC2X modded
Marshall JCM800 1959 SuperLead (1981)
Marshall JCM800 2203 (1983)
Marshall 1969 Basketweave with Pre-Rola G12mS T1221 / 102 003
Marshall JMP-1 MIDI valve preamp
2010 Laney CUB12
Palmer PDI-03
Blackstar HT-Boost valve pedal

"I haven't got a 1968 Plexi, but.. I've got 1968 Rayban Aviators! :)"
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »
That's a great guitar at twice the price! [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97  TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '99 Tobacco Sunburst Supreme 5lbs13oz; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Will2000

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2011, 01:42:44 AM »
I actually like the fact the the parkers have been such a good deal to buy used lately, I have picked up several over the last year that I would not have been able to otherwise!  I know that it is sad for those that bought the instruments new and have lost a lot of value in the resale, but sure is great for us that have picked up ones used!!  However, it does make you worry about the longevity of parkers continuing to be made if the original sales are not there for the new instruments.  Not much incentive to buy a brand new fly when a used one can be had for a fraction of the price!  Funny thing about supply and demand . . . but then those graphs all seem to look the same after awhile, LOL!

Will
Will

Black 95' Deluxe Fly, Tobacco Sunburst 97' (SSS- EMGs) Nitefly, Tribal 00' Custom (SSH) Deluxe Fly, Natural 00' Nylon Fly, White 01' Classic Fly, Black Cherry Burst 03' Classic Fly, Red 03' (SSH - EMGs) Nitefly

Offline RevMishka

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
As a player for 43 years, I have probably owned (and certainly have played) nearly every guitar that has been marketed; I was Guitar Sales Manager for a large chain store at a mall location in the early 80's when Fender was going through their stuff and Gibson had a bad reputation from it's association with Norlin...yet in the years since we have witnessed the growth and rebirth of both of these companies as well as the emergence of multiple new Guitar manufacturers and builders...Now we are in the midst of what is the greatest econimic downturn in my life time (58 years).

I have a fairly modest collection of around 30 instruments: I have always tried to rotate what is not going to bring positive investment resale in the future with others that will; and I feel that I have been successful at doing that...and then there is the '95 Parker Deluxe which I just purchased: will it be an investment? In my opinion it will as it is a custom color and is also a Gen 1 Parker...but to me, the real value if the guitar is how wonderful and effortlessly it plays and how great it sounds both electrically and acoustically...I obtained it used of course which makes it a great addition to my arsenal of fine guitars...

BUT, FOLKS: Here is the thing about investments...until the dot.com craziness of the late 90's to mid 2000's, investments were thought of as being long term...the longer you held onto your investment the more you could hope to realize at the point of sale...usually 5 to 10 years at best...but even with what I just stated above, and in spite of the recent downturn of the near overnight flipping of investments, most now assume that it still holds true: buy it today sell it tomorrow at a profit or at least get your investment back. I am sorry to say that it is my experience that only on a rare occasion is that still the case.

I buy and invest for the long term...historically, that has always been the smart move; along with diversification and doing one's homework/due diligence. Flipping guitars, like houses, is not happening with any guaranteed success in today's market...look at eBay: haw many high end guitars do you see going unsold? How many high end guitars are hanging on the walls of retailers and specialty shops? This is a great time to buy; it is a terrible time to sell...
So, unless you're prepared to take (in the words of the backers of '69's Woodstock Festival) "a bit of a bath", just play and enjoy what you have...and, if you have the means, take advantage of the current great prices on the Fly's...But be prepared to wait multiple years to see your investment come to fruition.

As for the Parker Fly: investment potential aside, I'm convinced: it may very well be the ultimate guitar!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:05:49 AM by RevMishka »

Offline Highlander

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »
MSRP prices on Parkers, and most other US guitars is rediculous...did they EVER sell one for that much?? Whats the point? Anyway, the resale is poor because it is not well known, and a bit odd looking. I was at NAMM last week and every booth was packed...but not very many at the Parker side of US Music.

I got a 2010 Custom Shop Fly Mojo flametop with a Floyd Rose and EMG's for under 2k...and that was thru a reseller!! Funky Monkey! So, obviously Parker sold it to them much cheaper...god knows what the MSRP on THAT guitar would have been.

On another note, I play Gibsons quite a bit, and have never had any trouble with scale changes, and my PRS's are 25"...so, that was interesting to me.

Re: Overpriced with piss poor resale value! Parker Fly

Offline jazzafly

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2018, 05:41:23 AM »
Still for sale? I'm interested to buy.....at a decent price for both of us!

Offline Mr303

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2018, 07:04:12 AM »
Still for sale? I'm interested to buy.....at a decent price for both of us!

7 yr old thread!!

Talk about resurrection of a dead thread....... :-\
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain