Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What pickup brand or model should we consider ?  (Read 8070 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
What pickup brand or model should we consider ?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 07:22:38 AM »
I want to know the best tires for a vehicle I am going to buy.

But I am not going to tell you the "platform" of the vehicle.

Off road SUV ? Ferrari sports car? Luxury sedan? Motorcycle? You guess.

I just want to know the best tires for it.

[;)]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »
DiMarzio area 51 humbucking single coils three of them for an SSS guitar.

DiMarzio PAF 36th anniversary humbuckers in both neck and bridge positions.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 08:26:37 AM »
Go with Kinman if it's a 3 single coil guitar. True noiseless innovation for a truly innovative guitar.

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
A few pedals...
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 09:10:07 AM »
Before I can give an answer, it would be nice to know what sort of music the guitar is intended for. Is it intended to be an all around instrument or more towards rock, or?

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

Before I can give an answer, it would be nice to know what sort of music the guitar is intended for. Is it intended to be an all around instrument or more towards rock, or?

1+ I would need to know the wood of the fretboard and body - for instance the Gen1 pickups in my Fly sound awesome, but would likely be totally different without the SS frets and fly's fretboard.

I would think the Dimarzio Area 61 pickups (or any of the Area) pickups would work well with a straight forward guitar architecture, but may not work on something like a Fly due to the difference in tone produced by the body/neck/fretboard. Also, the PAF Pro is one of my favorite bridge pickups, but for a single coil sound is not there with any humbucker.

It would be really interesting to hear SD P-Rails and/or StagMag pickups in a Parker.

Offline billy

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by sybersitizen
All I do know is that the esthetics of the Fly call for pickups that are as flush-mounted and fitted as possible, with no mounting rings. I just don't like seeing massive-looking pickups and rings as used on the (instrument formerly known as) DragonFly.

I agree with Syber, though I think the pickup rings on the DF look much more acceptable than they would on a fly.  The df rings are ok, but might look better with softer corners.  I love the lack of pu rings on the fly.

Anyway, the key thing that comes to mind when we talk of pickups on the forum is the ability to easily swap them out!  

That said, I generally prefer duncans to dimarzios, but have had good results with both.  Unfortunately, not a big fan of emg or active mags in general and not familiar with some of the newer brands on the market.

Would love a little peeky... but definitely understand.  Please let me know if you think you'd like the services of a "local" industrial designer (...me..!)[:D]

I would just about give my eye teeth to be involved in a new parker design![8D]

Billy

*play it like you mean  it...*
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mojotron

quote:

1+ I would need to know the wood of the fretboard and body - for instance the Gen1 pickups in my Fly sound awesome, but would likely be totally different without the SS frets and fly's fretboard.

I would think the Dimarzio Area 61 pickups (or any of the Area) pickups would work well with a straight forward guitar architecture, but may not work on something like a Fly due to the difference in tone produced by the body/neck/fretboard. Also, the PAF Pro is one of my favorite bridge pickups, but for a single coil sound is not there with any humbucker.

It would be really interesting to hear SD P-Rails and/or StagMag pickups in a Parker.

referring only to easily obtainable and well known pickups, I personally really like the DiMarzio FRED on the bridge.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

gsr4ever

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »
--> Word up!
quote:
Originally posted by sybersitizen

All I do know is that the esthetics of the Fly call for pickups that are as flush-mounted and fitted as possible, with no mounting rings. I just don't like seeing massive-looking pickups and rings as used on the (instrument formerly known as) DragonFly.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard

Offline mojotron

• http://www.mojotronics.com
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »
quote:
referring only to easily obtainable and well known pickups, I personally really like the DiMarzio FRED on the bridge.

Yep - the FRED is quite nice too - I have a FRED permanently parked in the bridge position on my NFA: It's the only humbucker that almost sounds like a beefy single coil in the overtones you get and yet has a PAF midrange that is very focused, but you can do heavier stuff with it too. The FRED is a winner too - a little more for the lead player than for those that want a more open rhythm tone. Depends on that amp, but I think in terms of PAF Pro (maybe more like EVH/ACDC) and FRED (Satriani/Santana).

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 12:31:09 AM »
With all the different pickups liked it seems the most innovative move would be a way to easily put in different manufacturers pickups by the player himself. Maybe a series of adapters that would fit in or on the body cavity. No soldered connection needed.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by BrainWorm

With all the different pickups liked it seems the most innovative move would be a way to easily put in different manufacturers pickups by the player himself. Maybe a series of adapters that would fit in or on the body cavity. No soldered connection needed.

I like this idea. Maybe a four wire pickup would just clip into 4 color coded clips like home stereo speaker cables have. That would be a sweet way to change pickups in and out.

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
A few pedals...
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by BrainWorm

I also had a similar thought, but I was thinking more along the lines of Parker putting whatever pickups you wanted into the guitar for a semi-custom instrument, but having a baseline set of pickups to start with. Anyway, I think there is/was a guitar on the market fairly recently that had easily removable pickups like you envision, but I can't remember who made it. It's kind of like a "convertible" guitar.

Seymour Duncan made a Convertible tube amp in the 80s/early 90s that had preamp modules that you could change to make it sound almost like any amp out at the time. It didn't totally nail everything, but it was close enough for most people. It had limited success, and some people have been playing their Convertible amp over 20 years now.

I'm not sure how well that removable pickup thing would sell. To me it kind of seems gimmicky. And it would be very easy to take your extra pickup(s) to a gig and then accidentally leave them somewhere, the connections might be dodgy, etc. You know most guitarists are ridiculously traditional already, anything innovative like that is a hard sell. It's not the same old antiquated 50 year design that their fathers and grandfathers played.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:51:04 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline billy

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
Yeah, I just meant using nothing custom requiring swapping bobbins or the like, as I'd have to do on my '98 deluxe if I wanted something non-stock or refined.  

Meaning the player could get what they want off the shelf and install it much like any other pu.  

Where it gets interesting is being able to do that and not have to resort to using rings, especially when you consider the pu's with square corners like EMGs.  

I do have some ideas on that end... but need a little peeky. [;)]  (NDAs are not a problem.[:D])

The "hotswap" idea is nice but I agree with Paul that it seems a bit gimmicky when you get to real practice, and probably not much demand when you can adjust your tone in other ways.  

I agree that a baseline set of pu's to start with is a good idea.

Billy

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »
This is hard with no guitar details, but my suggestion would be to go away from the large company (SD and D.) and go towards the "boutique" pickup market.

Jason Lollar is highly respected, his pickups sound fantastic, he already makes pickups for builders in quantity...I just don't know if his or anyone else's pickups will sound good in your proposed guitar as we know nothing about it.

Offline billy

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »
an "indie" brand might be a cool way to differentiate the guitars further.

just thought of something else-

It would be great to be able to have mags not routed through power chip but still be able to mix in stereo with piezos.

Billy

Billy