Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Feels So Good  (Read 3411 times)

Offline squege1

Feels So Good
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
How do you guys play this melody? As simple as it sounds, there is something very special about his intonation and phrasing in the opening few bars.
what's the trick here?

2008 Fly Mojo Four Seasons Fall #7
2007 Nitefly SA - Natural Ash

Feels So Good

Offline squege1

Feels So Good
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »
Chuck Mangione of course, sorry.
JC

Feels So Good

Offline prjacobs

Feels So Good
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »
Perhaps what you're hearing is that the first 2 notes (A and B flat)  are 2 half notes, when one might expect them to be 2 quarter notes on beats 3 and 4, leading to the downbeat for the C.  It gives it sort of a 1/2 time feel....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:01:56 PM by prjacobs »

Feels So Good

Offline squege1

Feels So Good
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »
Thanks man, that just might be it, I'll try to sit with it again to see if that is where the feel thing is. There is some great rhythm guitar on this tune as well. I've been trying to keep my ear training tight by using mostly horn players to cop licks from. I'm noticing that what I've heard all my life is true, horn players have the best phrasing chops (at least most vocal like) around. Sonny Rollins is my next try...
JC

Feels So Good

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Feels So Good
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by squege1

I've been trying to keep my ear training tight by using mostly horn players to cop licks from. I'm noticing that what I've heard all my life is true, horn players have the best phrasing chops (at least most vocal like) around.

Yeah, probably one reason is because they don't just go thru scales the way guitar players typically do. I also like to try and learn something from horn players and apply it to guitar - not to copy them, but to get ideas from them.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Feels So Good

Offline prjacobs

Feels So Good
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
I think the reason that horn players have great phrasing is that the nature of the instrument requires breathing..... And after all, that's what phrasing is.  Also, different ranges and intervalic jumps have a vastly different character/emotion on all breath driven instruments.  I'd respectfully recommend that every musician does some singing.  It will give you a new feel for every aspect of phrasing and melody.  That being said, I wish I liked Chuck Mangione more[:)]...  But he did write a good melody with Feels So Good.  And it set him up for life.....

Feels So Good

Offline squege1

Feels So Good
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »
I will respectfully heed that advice. THANK YOU. I am floored that I can log-in and get advice from a world-class musician such as yourself. Thanks again! I am going to apply you adice in a George Benson manner...sing along with my improvised line and when I need to breathe, stop the phrase...sounds simple enough, but how come I have this feeling that I'm on to a new adventure in my playing?
Thanks again, JC.

Feels So Good

Offline prjacobs

Feels So Good
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by squege1

I will respectfully heed that advice. THANK YOU. I am floored that I can log-in and get advice from a world-class musician such as yourself. Thanks again! I am going to apply you adice in a George Benson manner...sing along with my improvised line and when I need to breathe, stop the phrase...sounds simple enough, but how come I have this feeling that I'm on to a new adventure in my playing?
Thanks again, JC.

Shucks JC..... Sounds like a good plan.  I'd also recommend singing without playing and feel what it's like singing in all parts of your range. In fact, just sing some solos instead of playing them. The energy at the top of your vocal register is so different than the bottom or middle.  When you play high on the guitar, apply that feeling and intensity to your playing.  Check out what high notes feel like in falsetto.  Try to apply that feeling to soft playing in the higher register on the guitar.  After all, we all talk about a singing tone, your body will show you what that feels like. Every instrumentalist at the Itzak Perlman summer music program is required to sing in the chorus, just to experience the unique feeling of singing.  They know it really helps instrumentalists to play with more expression.
I live in New York and in the '70s I was lucky enough to see many great jazz guitarists, playing live.  I probably saw George Benson more than any other: so much so that I could see him improving and occasionally really see him breaking through to new, amazing levels.  One night, I spoke to him, got his phone number and was planning to start taking lessons from him.  For his last song, he sang Summertime.  I thought.... Holy c**p, not only can he play amazingly, his voice was also great.  Soon after that, Masquerade came out and he was far too busy and too big a star to be giving lessons.
Anyway... Have fun.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:19:31 PM by prjacobs »

Feels So Good

Offline billy

Feels So Good
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
+1  sing, sing, sing

sing unaccompanied and record yourself.  Unless you're completely delusional, or you have a hidden gift, you will hear very quickly that what you think you are hearing is very different from what is actually coming out of your mouth.  (Watch any american idol open call episodes...)

And much the same happens on your guitar.[B)]

There is really nothing more effective in developing your phrasing.

Billy

*play it like you mean  it...*
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]