Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Next refinement  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Next refinement
« on: November 05, 2005, 06:32:53 AM »
I have had my Deluxe 2000 for 48 hours now. About 40 of those hours were spent playing the guitar. It is that hard to put down. Parker addressed most concerns with thier 2003 refinements--the biggest was moving the master volume knob which definitly needed moving though i'm finaly learning to play around it (with abraided knuckles). I have one more suggestion for the next refinement. For narrow- shouldered guitar geeks (like me)it would be nice to have a second position for the shoulder strap knob (the one on the left side near the neck). It should be placed closer in, near the base of the horn instead of out near the tip of the horn. It would allow better centration for narrow shoulders. (would push body of guitar further left).The knob could be a pull out thing that would lock out if needed and be pushed into the guitar flush (twist lock) if not needed or while sitting. By the way,I find this guitar extremly comfortable/ergonomic to play while sitting. I completly disagree w that epinions reviewer who found the horn uncomfortable. It fits perfect standing or sitting and steadies the guitar in place. Maybe its different for hip huggers (i hold my guitar higher) but this is far and away the most comfortable guitar to play. Love this guitar, bill

Fly Deluxe 2000;Gibson es 137;       AlverezYari '75; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker
A few Flys in my soup

Next refinement

Offline 908ssp

Next refinement
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:30:04 AM »
The problem with moving the strap button back is it changes the balance of the guitar. Then the neck will in effect be heavier then the body and you will be fighting the neck sagging when you let go of the guitar. The balance is perfect as it is and K Parker made sure of that it is no accident. [^]

I think you will also find that the position sitting and stand are almost identical. If you move the strap button to swing the guitar to the left its relationship to your body will change depending on whether your sitting or standing. [^]

Give it a little time see if you don't adapt. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7 For Sale
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Next refinement

Offline loumt123

Next refinement
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 10:41:14 AM »
what about pulling one of those moves where theres like two strap buttons at the base of the guitar and you can choose one or the other and the one on the horn stays where it is? personally its perfect for me but thats just a thought

Next refinement

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Next refinement
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 06:56:10 PM »
Sounds like I need to give it some time. I have been use to playing (struming/picking)further back with my gibson and acoustics. The Fly is so different, my technique is starting to change. It is nice not having to "reach out" with the left hand for those bar chords on the first fret which cause a bent wrist approach.The first fret is now closer to my body, my elbow dropped down and my wrist straighter... With the right hand, I am starting to strum/pick further up the neck with the fly to avoid the volume knob. Seems wierd playing on top of the first humbucker. I'm used to strumming/plucking/picking halfway between the two. Not sure if that effects the tone in regards to bridge mag or piezzo but will see. I have also begun to change other habits. I even switched from a stiff jazz pick to a really flexable light triangle pick and love the light touch feel.I now let the "kick back" of the pic after hitting one string to then hit the adjacent string for faster riffs(not having to flick wrist to that next string seperatly). I've had to back way off the pressure on all my finger picking stuff (play some jazz and classical styles too)and even am learning a new technique (for me) of letting an already vibrating string go without the usual "hammer/strum/pick" as I slide up and down the neck- producing a new note w/o any hammer/strum or pick at all. (sure this stuff is old hat to most here but I'm new with this style). I am not sure if I will still want a second strap knob after a few months of playing but I will rewrite the forum again when I know. Does anyone else feel a second knob could be helpful or are the seasoned players convinced that one spot fits all? Alex, as usual, makes a good point about balance.He makes another good point that the position of the properly adjusted fly doesn't change much from standing to sitting. Another thing that sets the fly apart. Love this thing...b

Fly Deluxe 2000;Gibson es 137;       AlverezYari '75; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 06:59:32 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Next refinement

Offline JSanta

Next refinement
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 08:14:57 PM »
I think that the guitar is perfectly balanced.  I would not move it.  For me, the Fly is the most balanced and refined instrument on the market.  The other problem with moving the strap pin would be the obstruction of the ability to fret the upper notes.  

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Next refinement

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Next refinement
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »
Update--Well of course Alex and Jim are right. I have been playing my deluxe a lot since getting it little over a week ago. I am already use to the position. Both the strap location and the volume knob now seem perfect. The guitar body has always fit me like clothes. I still can't believe how much more fun this guitar is to play. Sounds great even through my cheap little practice amp. Tone is often a little twangy but I am still discovering new sounds/mixes and probably just plain don't know what I'm doing yet. Broke a string and it was a snap to change... LOVE THIS GUITAR!!! ...bill

A few Flys in my soup

Next refinement

Offline JSanta

Next refinement
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 10:37:37 PM »
I have definately found that my Parker is the most tone-knob responsive guitar I own.  By just using one setting on my VooduValve, I simply toy with the tone knob and the piezo/mag switch.  I have really dialed in some fantastic tones this way and expanded my tonal capabilities more than I thought I could with one guitar.  Good luck finding you tones!

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha