Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Fly Bass Neck Creak?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline bplexico

Parker Fly Bass Neck Creak?
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »
Hello all!

New owner of a used Parker Fly Bass. Question for you, the bass plays wonderful and stays in tune. However I have noticed if I hold the body and move the neck either forward or back with my hand applying pressure on the neck there is a creaking sound? Is this normal? Perhaps this is an outlier and nature of the construction, even after I do this the bass does not lose tune. I only noticed because some of patterns where I may have been bending neck a tad were causing this odd sound, so I chose to investigate the cause further. Not heard through an amp, just concerned about neck stability...Also from examining the connection of neck to body, there is a black substance sealing the neck joint to the body, save for the final 1/8" on the sides which is not sealed and you could slip a piece of paper in...

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Barr

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
Hi there, and welcome. I was waiting for someone more bass-savvy to see this and respond, but this area of the forum doesn't get a lot of attention. Maybe this bump will do something.

In the meantime, poke around in the archives for some insight. I somewhat hesitatingly refer you to this thread for starters:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10661

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:17:07 AM »
My Fly bass has a neck like a Fly Mojo guitar, carbon fiber all the way, a set in neck, not a bolt on neck. No creaking there.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
He isn't saying it's a bolt-on, only that the joint seems weird. I'm not sure there were any bolt-on Parker basses, but the information I can find isn't complete.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline bplexico

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »
Yes mine has the carbon fibre neck on it. It is the original model that was released with the locking Sperzel tuners, sitka spruce body with quilted maple top and back, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz magnetic pickups and Fishman piezo.

As mentioned this creaking/pinging sound only can be heard when unplugged and on the occasion when applying some tension between neck and body. Normal playing does not seem to cause it as far as I can tell, and as I mentioned it is not causing me to go out of tune.

Thanks again all for your comments, I appreciate it.

Barr

Offline syncopa

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »
This is the most I've seen on the subject. http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7848     I have an FB4 and luckily have had no problems with it.
1998 Fly Classic, FB4 Bass, P6E acoustic, DF522 FR Dragonfly