Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Deluxe pup problems...  (Read 5221 times)

Offline somata

• http://www.myspace.com/thearsonistsdaughter
Fly Deluxe pup problems...
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:36:04 PM »
i've found a really good deal on a used fly deluxe, it hasn't been babied so theres a bit of hardware corrosion, and a ding in the neck (not too terrible...like someone knocked into the top edge with a screwdriver handle) anyways, the real issue is that there's a definite problem with the switching for the magnetics.  bridge position is all jacked up, it sounds really thin like a single coil.  middle position seems to be both pups (sounded thicker than the normal split position though) and neck is, well, neck.  how difficult would this be to troubleshoot myself, or alternately how hard will it be to find someone to fix it?  is it possible that that its a bad switch or loose wire or something simple, or am i a dreamer?  [:p]  i'd like to know in advance if this is an easy fix and i should get it, or what i would be getting into...

parker fly classic>>>ernie ball jr. volume>>>budda wah>>>mesa dual recto solo head>>(g-major in loop)>>mesa trad. slant 4x12
rack controlled by dmc ground control pro
Parker Fly Classic(1996)>>>Ernie Ball Jr. volume>>>Axess Electronics GRX4>>(Digitech Synth wah>>OD>>ISP Decimator)>>MXR 10 Band EQ>>Mesa Dual Recto Solo head>>(G-Major in loop)>>Mesa Trad. slant 4x12//Mesa Standard straight front/slant baffle
rack controlled by DMC Ground Control Pro

Offline DrMeerkat

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 04:43:25 PM »
Best case scenario: the wire from the outside coil has become unsoldered on the bridge pickup.  Download the schematics for the switch, then look at your wiring.  To do so, remove the screws holding on the back plate, then take the plate off, pull on the white locks for each of the ribbon cables to release them and remove the ribbons from the pc board.  Remove the two screws holding the pc board in place.  Lift the pc board.  Below this you should see a 12 pin switch.  This is where your schematic comes in to play.  Make sure that all of the wires are connected in their proper position.  If not, just a little soldering and you're done.  If they're already in the right place and solid connections... well... lets just hope its easy!
Black 1995 Parker Fly Deluxe
DiMarzio Virtual PAF in Neck and Bridge

Offline somata

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:54:39 AM »
i know its nearly impossible to diagnose over the internet [:D] but what would a worst case scenario be?  does the problem that its having indicate a potential problem with the circuit board, or at worst, would a pup swap alleviate the problem (swapping out the bridge is likely anyways, to bridge the sonic gap between this deluxe and my fly classic)?

parker fly classic>>>ernie ball jr. volume>>>budda wah>>>mesa dual recto solo head>>(g-major in loop)>>mesa trad. slant 4x12
Parker Fly Classic(1996)>>>Ernie Ball Jr. volume>>>Axess Electronics GRX4>>(Digitech Synth wah>>OD>>ISP Decimator)>>MXR 10 Band EQ>>Mesa Dual Recto Solo head>>(G-Major in loop)>>Mesa Trad. slant 4x12//Mesa Standard straight front/slant baffle

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »
i think you just really need to check out the wiring.  if any of the solder joints are undone, you will know what to do.  it takes about five minutes to look at the wiring.  if there is no apparent wiring problem, it's time to take your guitar to an authorized repair shop.  there could be other problems, but dr meerkat seems to have what i would call a very possible, simple solution.

Offline somata

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 08:26:50 AM »
i went ahead and got it, even with the switching problem.  i got such a ridiculous deal on it that i wasn't worried about it.  so i popped it open this morning, and the connections at the switch seem to be ok.  as far as i can tell, just by tapping on pole pieces while its plugged in, the neck position is neck only, the mid position is the entire neck pup and inside coil on the bridge (?) and the bridge position seems to be both coils but really thin and weak.  there is definite corrosion on the bridge pole pieces, i have a feeling whoever owned this before me was a sweaty bugger...[:p].  so i suppose it could be a problem with the pup itself?  i'd like to upgrade the bridge to the newer model dimarzio (or whatever will bridge the sonic gap between this and my classic) anyways, but i'd like to resolve this issue first.  does the problem being at the pup itself make sense?  is it possible that the problem is worse and involves the ribbon?  the electronics look to be in really good shape...  i'm going to take it to the local dealer today or monday, but i'm just trying to get a sense of things first...

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 09:47:06 AM »
My guess is it is the pickup[:)]

If you want to change for a meatier midrange then the Deluxe had originally the newer Parker Dimarzios work great. I compared them side by side with my 98 Classic and the Deluxe has more midrange then the Classic does now. [:D]

Making the change with the proper pickups is really easy. [^]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline somata

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 05:21:22 PM »
i'm going to start by getting a new bridge pup...musician's friend has them in stock for $80, so i'll most likely get it from there, or is there a better source?