Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kemper Profiling Amp is the bolagna!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 8304 times)

Offline www_Ps_com

Kemper Profiling Amp is the bolagna!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQlWC-mXUs&feature=sub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywDUAw7ck8g&feature=related

Just after I thought I'd had it with modelling amps, along comes this fine piece of german (of course[8D]) engineering. Captures the sound of your finest miced amp. What you hear is what you get. Will retail for 1300 EUR/1500 USD. This thing is the real Mccoy! The inventor of this unit also engineered the famous Virus synth, which can be heard on many dance records.

Okay, Kemper, as you've probably noticed, I just plugged your amp. I think this qualifies for a discount, doesn't it?[;)]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:30:55 PM by www_Ps_com »

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
Interesting concept, good to see there are still a few fresh ideas out there. The demos sound pretty convincing, let's wait for the first real life tests. Thanks for posting!

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:02:04 AM by Nefarius »

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
Wow!  That's really cool!  That may be the ultimate solution for churches who need keep stage volume down but don't want to sacrifice tone.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

Wow!  That's really cool!  That may be the ultimate solution for churches who need keep stage volume down but don't want to sacrifice tone.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, other stuff...
God Bless!

Yes, it's pretty interesting from that standpoint.  Although I think a high quality attenuator would work better for that application.
In the 2nd video demo, you can hear the profiling process with the amp being subjected to various audio inputs including white or pink noise and the resultant "image" being sampled by the machine.  It's convincing for sure, but I wonder at what volume this has to be done to capture the amp distortion and mainly, can it capture more than a snapshot of the amp.  My amp's controls are SO interactive that one switch, one pot moved, affects the rest of the controls tremendously.  You can't capture that with a static sampling.
The best modeling amp I have tried until now is the Cybertwin.  It near-perfecly recreates the actual action of the various controls.  It only failed in achieving the ultra clean high end shimmer of a twin in all it's perfectly set up glory.  
But all other modeling amps I tried failed in that also. And most modern twins can't do that either.
So I'm hyper-skeptical of modeling amps.
I'd recommend the cybertwin to anyone because I played it for 7 years and at least 1500 gigs and it served me unbelievably well and sounds fantastic in a LIVE situation, where pods, tonelabs and other such devices fail miserably despite some success in a studio context.
But in the end, I can't get enough of tubes.
One caveat: I have not played the axe-fx yet.  I hear that THAT is the holy grail of modeling and those guys I know use it swear by it.  So the Cybertwin might have met it's master.  To be yet determined.

Patrick

Trans-blue Mojo 2006, Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline www_Ps_com

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
NAMM 2011 brought us three self-proclaimed game changers
- Korg Kronos Workstation
- Ernie Ball gamechanger guitar
- Kemper Profiling Amp

Imagine what happens if you combine them! You'll write nothing but hits.

Patzag, my understanding is that the Kemper unit takes an accurate snapshot of whatever signal chain you establish (preamp+amp+cab+mic). What were variables up to then essentially become constants. You can tweak several parameters of the snapshot taken (Gain, highs, mids, bass, ...) within the Kemper amp, but it doesn't claim to still stay true to the profiled amp when you do that. If you think about it, it couldn't possibly know how the real amp's controls interact. You'd have to take a new snapshot with changed amp settings to capture other amp settings that stay true to your specific amp. The presenter says you can store thousands of profiles in the amp and you will be able to share them over the internet.

Btw: Notice how the Kemper amp just so happens to be competitively priced with the Axe-Fx! Hmm...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:40:14 PM by www_Ps_com »

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
Watching video #2 I was surprised about the profiling process to be so short.

I very much like the way it doesn't try or want to be a replacement for all other amps like some other stuff I could name. It just offers you to collect all the sounds you need in one box. So I think it's a very live-oriented piece of gear. You can tweak your real amps and toys and gadgets at home or rehearsal or in the studio until your fingers bleed and when you're happy you take a snapshot by profiling it into the Kemper. Plus you can share those profiles with others (if you want to).

One thing that must be considered of course is the need for a pretty good recording environment if you want to make your own profiles. Not everyone has the location, the equipment or the knowledge to run an amp at full power tube saturation volume and mike it with above average results to capture that perfect tone they're after.

But then again it doesn't have a sticker saying "for entry level kids with too much money", does it? :D

Could become a valuable tool to keep it simple and light weight for touring musicians who also have the real amps and equipment to really make the most of it.

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:02:42 AM by Nefarius »

Offline www_Ps_com

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
Good points, Nef. If this unit delivers what it promises I expect some wild sharing going on over teh interwebz. Imagine having this unit at one of James Lugo's annuary amp shootouts! It also essentially solves the difficulties people have matching their amp's sound with a modeller - now you just capture it 1 to 1. It also comes with a yet to be specified number of already profiled amps, so it can be used out of the box to some degree.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:23:15 PM by www_Ps_com »

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
www_Ps_com: "...also comes with a yet to be specified number of already profiled amps..."

Sure, without that it wouldn't stand a chance. Other than that nothing else to do but wait for the first real life tests and see if the players will accept it. I think it definitely deserves a chance.

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:04:04 AM by Nefarius »

Re: Kemper Profiling Amp is the bolagna!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Musicman2000

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
I'll submit I bought into this concept and haven't looked back since.
Having tried all the "emulation" products over the years, somehow they all left me feeling empty inside.

No more... Technology has finally caught up to true analog with this baby.

This rig brings me back to the flexibility I had akin to my Triaxis, G Major, Randall RT 50 rig with none of the lug weight yet still delivering so very much more!

I chose the rack version over the original "breadbox" design mostly for security and mobility. (And looks)

It closest cousin is the Fractal Axe II with many too favor.

The best comparison analogy between the two is: Kemper is to Apple where Fractal is to MicroSoft.
Of the two, Fractal offers lot's more features, but Kemper's tone results are by far more spot on.

I would attribute these results given their polar approaches each of them use.

Kemper's sonic dispersion and recording approach as being far superior in my opinion.
Fractal uses more of an MP3 reverse engineering approach. Still Fractal has a boatload of feature some might prefer. To my way of thinking, Tone wins in any challenge

(But hey, I'm just sharing discovery and opinions here and have no intention on starting any type of Fractal vs. Kemper war or the like)

Still the most convincing comment I heard is: "If I were in the conventional Amp making business today, I'd be really, really nervous"

Again, Yes... Technology has indeed finally caught up with Analog.   ;D
Paul

Trans green Nitefly Mojo Flame, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha DXR10, Genz Benz Shen60, G-Flex 2x12 w/Black Shadow's

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »

It closest cousin is the Fractal Axe II with many too favor.

The best comparison analogy between the two is: Kemper is to Apple where Fractal is to MicroSoft.
Of the two, Fractal offers lot's more features, but Kemper's tone results are by far more spot on.

I would attribute these results given their polar approaches each of them use.

Kemper's sonic dispersion and recording approach as being far superior in my opinion.
Fractal uses more of an MP3 reverse engineering approach. Still Fractal has a boatload of feature some might prefer. To my way of thinking, Tone wins in any challenge

(But hey, I'm just sharing discovery and opinions here and have no intention on starting any type of Fractal vs. Kemper war or the like)

So I assume that you have played through the Axe FX II and tinkered with it and decided that the Kemper was better suited to your needs?

I have not used the Kemper.  It might be better than the Axe FX.  I can't say.  But there's nothing MP3 reverse engineering about the Axe FX and it sounds like you're re-spewing some TGP forum argument taken from "the war between Kemper and Fractal".

The Parker forum is no place for that.  So if we could avoid the "...have no intention on starting any type of Fractal vs. Kemper war" and then proceed to bash Fractal, that would be best.  One can laud the values of a piece of gear without having to resort to slander and defamation. Don't you think?

On the other hand, yes, technology has caught up with Analog.  As you can see in my earlier post in this thread, I was very much tube-only oriented.  That has changed.

Offline Musicman2000

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 06:06:07 PM »
You know I was trying my best not to get into any type of comparison struggle, but since it was me who ignorantly began this slippery slope, I'll submit to contain it now.

To anyone who took issue to my "reverse engineering" comment, I truly apologize for my ignorance. It wasn't my intention to be disrespectful or to bash Fractal in any way. I just simply didn't know how better to briefly express the Fractal source WAV conversion process. I suppose I could have chose a better expression for this process, but try as I may, I still can't think of one.

In answer to your question, I A/B tested both and chose Kemper based on MY selection criteria.
So, having tried both, I own one. To those lucking enough to have both, I salute you.

Anyone seriously looking into any such investment would first need to decide on the selection criteria useful to their needs. Be it tone, features, size, connections, performance, convenience etc. This list goes on.

I actually admire Fractal's dual processing, 7 pin midi, deep editing and synchronized display features to name only a few. I simply favored Kemper's tone, size and feature for my needs.

The REAL point I was trying to share is what technology is now delivering for us.
I probably should have began these thoughts in it's own thread rather than replying here. But no matter.

Truth is whether you favor either Kemper or Fractal, it doesn't matter. Both offer great tones each with their distinct advantages. Again, your individual selection criteria should be your conscience.

The core point I trying to express. (At risk of upsetting another camp, the tube purists)
(Where I and I suppose many others have come from with years of experience)

With this technology available to us, conventional tube amps will probably never completely die, but it's hard to imagine that their luster won't diminish a little as the future unfolds.

I for one am so relieved I no longer have to chase down both fragile and coveted tubes for my tone.

But hey! On the other hand even these products may actually get later bested becoming passe over the years. Only time will tell.

Anyway... For the time being, I've never sounded so good.

Cheers

Paul

Trans green Nitefly Mojo Flame, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha DXR10, Genz Benz Shen60, G-Flex 2x12 w/Black Shadow's

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
Agree on all points.  All good!

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
i love tubes as most know, but restating an anecdote-wuz at carlos&charlies outdoor bar on the river in austin one night, the band wuz doin smokin arrangements of popular covers, and the guitarist (no idea who it wuz) on a strat with no amp, just pedals thru the system, sounded as good as any guitarist i have ever heard, and i have heard most all the good one that are famous.

Offline Javlin7

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
I use a kemper in church direct to the desk with an atomic clr as my stage monitor. Sounds amazing, very realistic tube sound. It's allowed us to control the stage volume a lot more.

And it's saving my back too as I used to cart around a rack system and 2 4x12's

Also I've sold all my valve amps which gave me the cash to buy my fly deluxe :D

Our other guitarist uses an axe fx 2 through an atomic clr. His rig sounds great too. I prefer the kemper as it was £1000 cheaper, sounds fantastic and is a simple user interface.

The axe also sounds fantastic but is a little more involved when you want to tweak the sound.
Can't say there are any bad points about the axe, the thing that swung it for me was the price. 

Offline catherinechamber

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 02:05:33 AM »
wow...that's awesome...really like that!
5 years of 3 guitars, 7 pedals, Big fan on modulation pedals. welcome to my blog:

http://themodulationpedalsus.tumblr.com/
http://bassmodulationpedals.tumblr.com/