Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exercise / Technique  (Read 2767 times)

Offline seedlings

Exercise / Technique
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »
What a great opportunity, thank you Mr. Martone, for making time! I'll open it up with a couple of questions:

1) You are a fantastic and entertaining guitar player.  How 'naturally' or 'easily' did speed and great esoteric techniques come to you?

2) I'm a very average player, with good feel for playing lazy melodic leads over traditional chord progressions, but lack speed and variety.  Is there a particular exercise or technique that you've found will help average players open up to the next level?

Much gratitude,
CHAD
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:58:28 PM by seedlings »

Exercise / Technique

Offline www_Ps_com

Exercise / Technique
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
- Can you give us an example of a playing (sub)skill or parameter (like picking speed, legato speed, etc) where you thought you had reached a permanent plateau and then after a longer while you broke through? Do you think you have plateaued at certain skills?

- What technique did you struggle the most with before you finally got it down?

- What is the minimum amount of practice time you have to put in only to keep your skill level at where it's at?

- There doesn't seem to be a shortage of flashy players if you think of Batio, Cooley, Ferreri, etc., yet they rarely blow minds with their great song ideas. Do you have the impression that there is a trade off between being a very technical player and being a great composer. I mean every hour one puts into the technique could have also been spent on honing ones compositional skills, yet it often seems to skewed to the technical side.  What's your take on that?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:11:42 PM by www_Ps_com »