Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help! I'm on the hunt...  (Read 3282 times)

Offline mountaindewaddict

Help! I'm on the hunt...
« on: November 30, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »
...for a new chorus pedal.  

I currently have a Danelectro FAB chorus and a Guitar Fuel Angular Velocity (see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/GF-Angular-Velocity-FLORUS-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-Flange-/120651186051).  Neither one is really doing it for me right now.

The Dano is fine, but a little too sterile for me.  The Angular Velocity is cool, and kinda does its own thing, but sounds too metalic and "vibe-y" (it is truly a very cool effect, if that's what you're going for - but not always what I want).  

I'm looking for a nice warm analog chorus sound that can fatten up chords and give some shimmer to picked lines.   I run this in the effects loop of my Egnater Rebel 20.  I'm not a stickler on true bypass, buffered is okay, as long as there is no "tone suck."  

I'm thinking in the $50 - $70 dollar range.

Any suggestions?  What would you guys recommend?

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, other stuff...
God Bless!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:48:55 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Offline billy

Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »
I used to use an old ibanez chorus.  It was a little warmer to my ear than the boss, and the DOD at the time seemed to suck tone.  You can probably find these on ebay for pretty cheap.  If I was in the market for these now, I'd also check out the guyatone pedals or maybe even build one myself and tweak until I was happy with it.

If you're looking for shimmer though, the best way I found is with a very slight detuning effect and not much sweep, with some reverb or delay.  The edge does something similar but shifts the pitch up a whole octave with a long delay.

Billy

[Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
In your price range the BOSS Super Chorus or Chorus Ensemble used is my recommendation. When you can spend more, there are some great options that do the 80s chorus and the 60s analog chorus very well.

The Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus NAILS the 60s chorus sound and can be bought used in your price range if you can find one. I have an Ibanez sound tank chorus/flanger and it stinks.

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
A few pedals...
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Offline billy

Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
yeah, I meant the old ibanez chorus, not the newer tank combo styles...

Billy

[Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
If you ever manage to get your hands on one, the Rocktron Intellifex has the best chorus I've ever heard.  Don't know what they go for used now, but probably can be had for cheap.  Great delays and reverbs too!

Trans-blue Mojo 2006, Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
OK, here's an update: I just got a Digitech Hardwire Chorus pedal.  This thing totally kills!  It has seven different chorus sounds on it, and all of them are musical and useful.  It's incredibly flexible, and I love that there is a volume knob for the effect.  I would HIGHLY recommend you check this out.  This is one of those "never going to leave my board" kind of effects. It's that good.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

OK, here's an update: I just got a Digitech Hardwire Chorus pedal.  This thing totally kills!  It has seven different chorus sounds on it, and all of them are musical and useful.  It's incredibly flexible, and I love that there is a volume knob for the effect.  I would HIGHLY recommend you check this out.  This is one of those "never going to leave my board" kind of effects. It's that good.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!

Hey Casey, if you get a chance, post a sound clip of the guitar with the Chorus in line and not.  Digitech has left a very sour taste in my mouth with the odd digitizing artifacts of their gear which really sucked tone.  Maybe they've reformed?

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Offline billy

Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
I'm very glad you like your new pedal that much!

Maybe they finally put some of the Johnson ideas to work from when they bought and buried that line a few years back...  I still like my j-station.  

Unfortunately, my past experience with digitech matches Pat's, so I'm curious to hear it too.

Billy

Billy

Help! I'm on the hunt...

Help! I'm on the hunt...
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »
Okay, guys, I'll try to carve out some time in the next week or so to get something put together.  I have a Way Huge Green Rhino on order, and I should get it some time around the beginning of March.  I may wait until then and just do a demo for both at the same time.

Casey

God Bless!
Casey