Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why did you choose a Parker guitar?  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
Why did you choose a Parker guitar?
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
A guitar playing friend of mine came to visit us on the gig, and when the gig was over, I let him play my DF. His first comment was "I'm really liking this guitar."

Later he asked me why I chose a Parker so I answered.

I always wanted a Strat, but I was put off by the weight and the short neck radius. The DF has (1) long neck radius (2) the pickup configuration I wanted - including the coil tap Duncan HB and the Fishman (3) light weight (4) good looks. I also added the ebony fretboard, stainless frets, excellent fit & finish, and good balance were a bonus.

So I wondered, why some other people here chose a Parker.

So my questions are:

1) Which model Parker do you have?

2) Why did you choose that model?

Notes

------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:13:34 AM by Notes_Norton »
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Originally choose Fly for the weight.

Later choose Artist for the perceived tonal spectrum and because I lucked into a really cool one (original custom burst hardtail signed by Ken).

I also have a really cool MoJarzio ( so named because I think its an original Mojo prototype with factory Dimarzio's before Duncans were standard). Its also a natural finish mahog headstock , hardtail, and signed by Ken.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5658&SearchTerms=dock

I am thinking of selling , however, as I only play the Artist and various acoustic guitars now.

I have also owned and sold a very nice Deluxe and a Classic with replacement Duncan black backs.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:11:25 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Erik Magrini

• http://tarekith.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Dragonfly DF724 here.  I've always wanted a parker because I like the idea of someone relooking at what makes a good electric guitar and building something truly different.  I love think and light guitars as well.

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
I have owned 4 different Parkers, 2 of which I still have.

I first bought a P-44 because of the versatility and the tones that were available.  It had the best neck I'd ever played (up until that point).

After owning it about a year, I went on the first factory tour and played a Fly for the first time.  I was hooked from day one.  It took another 8 months, but I finally bought a Fly Deluxe.  The neck on my Deluxe is still the best playing neck I've every held - perfect balance between thin and round / wide and narrow.  The light weight is a plus too.  

But I missed that strat tone.  So I bought a P-38.  I liked it a lot, but I had gotten used to the Fly neck.  So I sold it to a forum member after I found a NiteFly for only another $275 than I paid for the P-38 (both were good deals).  I think I may change the pups in the NiteFly soon, but I love it.  It's a V2 (SSH, passive piezo), so it's maple and sustains for days.

I like being different and standing out from the crowd.  The crowd plays Fender's and Gibson's and Ibanez's through Marshall's and Fender's and Vox.  I play Parkers through an Egnater.  I like being different, but I also get the benefits of amazing playability, super light weight, and incredible tonal diversity. [:D] [8D] [^]

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:10:17 PM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »
2 reasons for me - The incredible neck/playing feel, and the way they look.

Which is why the Maxx/DFly don't give me same amount of GAS  (different shape)

The carbon Flys I mean - see my sig for the models :-)

Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,  Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany Fly Mojo, Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic (in Purple!),Fishman Performer amps
Roland GR33/Digitech GNX/Fishman Aura Blender, Sequis Motherload Elemental
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »
Love the way the Fly plays, its light weight, the thin and sculpted body, stainless steel frets, Sperzel locking tuners, its perfect balance, and its unique look. [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97  TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '99 Tobacco Sunburst Supreme 5lbs13oz; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »
Saw the fist article on the Fly in a UK magazine in 1993.  As soon as one became available to me (around July 94) I bought one blind without ever playing it.  What got me was everything: weight, shape, piezo possibilities (blend, etc), the technological aspect of it was very appealing and Ken's interview in the magazine showed me a guy I felt I could trust who really loves his work.  So I went for it.  Never looked back since!

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
I played a friends Fly in the late 90s and loved it. Admittedly I would never have played one based on looks. I waited until the Fly Mojo Single Cut was available before I bought one. But the fret board and frets were the selling point for me.

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Parker Fly Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
A few pedals...
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
Nitefly M and later got a NFV1.
It was originally seeing someone play a white Fly that lured me in. Then the features. Then the price of the Niteflys vs the Flys vs the Nitefly features. I think I was pretty scientific about comparing. It just so happened that the Nitefly M was the only available (non-P) Parker at the shop I went looking in. But that was the model I'd settled on. I played it and the neck was like a drug. Had to have it.

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:51:12 AM »
I've first seen Parker guitars on the internet many years ago. I thought they looked cool but at the time there were only hardtails, only a limited color palette and they've also been quite far outside my price range. So I didn't check out the amazing details and didn't give them the attention they would have deserved.

When it was time for a new guitar I wanted unique looks, DiMarzio pickups, 24 frets, a piezo bridge, stable vibrato and an unusual finish. That combination wasn't as easy to come by as one would imagine. At least if you didn't want to go for an Ibanez which had many of the features except an unique look. Because everyone played them. I've tried a few high end models but didn't like them much, especially the necks and frets. I found a Yamaha which had all the features, a nicer shape, better neck and frets and a very nice finish and most important superior build quality. And all of that at a fraction of the price of the Ibanez models I've tried (about a third at the time). That was in 2002.

Fast forward to 2007/2008. I had saved some money and wanted to take the next step. Same lousy results for what I was looking for though. I came very close to realizing a self-designed guitar (shape and details) at a local custom shop at the time. It was delayed due to several reasons, one of them being the fact that I just wasn't sure about the vibrato and didn't want to continue the hassle of dealing with a Floyd Rose like on the Yamaha.

Nearing the end of 2008 a new band project came up and I was searching the web again. One of the results was Parker, like so many years ago. And this time they got the attention they deserved. I read every bit of informmation, listened to sound samples, joined the forum and a few weeks later I had my Deluxe. I usually like a fair amount of treble in my tone so I decided for the Fly Deluxe which was described as being "bright". And I liked the fact that poplar is such an unusual choice of wood for a guitar.

That's the story.

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:53:00 AM by Nefarius »

Offline seedlings

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »
Act 1) A decade ago when I was just starting to play guitar I saw a guy I know on stage playing this guitar with a wicked cool headstock, and it sounded like an acoustic guitar.  At the time I had no idea what it was.  Seed planted.  

Act 2) My wife and I have been trying to have/adopt another child for 4 or 5 years, and if it were a boy, the name we kept coming back to was Parker.

Act 3) About a year ago my wife commented that I hadn't had a new guitar in a long time (whaa?  When does that happen?) so I took it upon myself to look for a guitar.  I came across Parker guitars and said, "hey - that's the guitar Mike played!  Hey - that's what we want to name our son!"  Then I noticed the prices <sigh> and ended up buying a red alligator leather P-36 with the wife's blessing, especially since she was so fond of the name Parker.  I got it, like it, and play it tons.

Act 4) After I played the P-36 I'd been salivating for an USA Parlker (watching ebay and the classifieds here daily), but money was tight since we adopted a son in December 2010, and named him Parker :)) BUT!!! While wasting time on the 'net I found a 2008 Parker Fly Deluxe Heather Gray for under $700 and bought it with the wife's blessing (and sold my LTD EC-1000 to cover it).  Right now I'm waiting for the Parker Shop to fix a paint blemish.

Besides these reasons I am so tired of cliche fender gibson prs <yawn>.  Parker headstock and body shape are phenomenal in my mind - outside the box.  Carbon Fiber hooked me.  Lightweight is bonus.  I'm not a great player, but I was astonished how differently the same 24 frets play on a Fly compared to my LTD (or washburn or silvertone).  Tonally - HH with coil tapping and piezos... Parker has the entire package.  (A sustainer pickup would be a cherry on top).

Great thread.

CHAD

Offline jpleong

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
I posted this a while ago:

My guitar-shopping comparisons:
quote:
When I started guitar shopping this year I went with the usual suspects (Fender, Gibson, etc...) at a certain price-point (sub-$1000 USD). Then I made the mistake of playing a Music Man Axis which raised the bar and then I tried a PRS Custom 24 which further raised the bar. When I happened upon the Fly Mojo Singlecut I simply could not find a better guitar for less money (the only better-sounding guitar than it was the PRS). The $2000 I paid for my Mojo Singlecut was the lowest I could spend to get that level of tone and playability. Before I went and played them, I thought the prices for PRS Customs and Parker Flys were also outrageous but after auditioning guitar after guitar I realized there was a reason the prices were so high and I couldn't get it for cheaper.

I began my guitar buying experience with the intention of getting the best sounding electric guitar that I could afford and, if possible, the most versatile. I had actually played a first-generation Fly in the store waaaaay back in 1996 so had an eye out for Parkers whenever they appeared in music catalogs. I was really excited, years ago, when the first PM guitars came out and had my (cashless) heart set out on acquiring one solely based on looks.

With musical instruments you should always try before you buy at least a similar (if not identical) instrument. I went into my local dealer (which took forever to find a local dealer since big-chain retailers are rather clueless that they're supposed to carry Parker) with the idea that I would try a P-44 Pro or Nitefly since that was "close" to my guitar budget. They didn't have a P-44 Pro but I did end up playing (in this order) a Nitefly-M, a P-44V, a PM-20 Pro, a P-24V, a Fly Classic, and finally the Fly Mojo Singlecut (FMS). Up until then, I didn't even know there was a USA-made singlecut-shaped Parker. The FMS was prominently displayed next to the Fly Supreme and Classic that were in the store and I made the mistake of asking the shop owner if I could try "that other PM-20 Pro over there..." to which he gave me the Vulcan eye-brow and told me it was a Fly Singlecut and showed me the carbon & glass back. When I played it, my wife (also a musician) and I agreed that it was the best sounding guitar of the whole bunch -with resonance, sparkle, and warmth. I took one look at the price tag and tried to convince myself and my wife that the PM-20 Pro sounded just as good which back-to-back playing proved it, indeed, did not. I then tried to sell the both of us on the idea that the versatility of the Nitefly-M or the PM-24V trumped the tonal benefits of the FMS which, again, it did not. So that's how I ended up with the FMS... (but you didn't ask that question!)

The FMS is the first electric guitar I've owned that actually sounds as good plugged-in as it does unplugged (the only other guitars that did this in my hands were a Rickenbacker 360, a Music Man Axis and a PRS Custom 24). The Jazz and JB pickup combination is fantastic sounding with both pickups having very different but very usable voicing. For me, I can switch positions and coil-tap and each setting makes the guitar sound completely different. Using a modeler I was even able to create a piezo pickup-type sound using the bridge pickup tapped.

The FMS is all-passive which, after years of primarily using active guitars of one sort or another, is great for never worrying about batteries. I leave it plugged into my guitar rig 24/7 so that I can noodle around with it whenever I fancy.

As mentioned, it is certainly heavier than other Flys but it is still lighter than most other electrics (its weight is on-par with my chambered Fernandes solid-body acoustic).

The only issue I have with the coil-tap is that I wish each humbucker had its own tap so I could experiment with mixing tapped and un-tapped sounds but that's a minor thing.

Other than that, I have no complaints about the guitar. The FMS pre-dates any fret-bond issues and I expect it to be as bulletproof as my strat. For the price I paid (a little less than $2k) it was the least-expensive of the best guitars out there and certainly better sounding, playing, and lighter than most other guitars period. My only problem is that it will be a tough sell for my wife when I tell her I want another electric guitar ("...but honey... my Parker just sounds too good. I need a crappier sounding instrument to round out my tonal palette... really...!")

JP
2007 Fly Mojo Singlecut -STOLEN :(
MM Quilted-Maple Cherryburst
2009 Nitefly Mojo
Natural
2013 PDF105
Blackburst

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
What attracted me to Parker was that I very much liked the way that they look (speaking of the Fly). When I actually played one, I was blown away and immediately wanted one. I never was able to get a Fly, but my Nitefly Mojo is a killer guitar nonetheless. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Roland

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »
I like the feel of the neck, the way it stays in tune, and the overall tone of the instrument.  It's a mahogany Classic

Roland
This is my band  http://www.thebandofgold.org.uk
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/
Roland
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Notes_Norton

1) Which model Parker do you have?

Pre-refined Deluxe.

quote:
2) Why did you choose that model?

The Fly is a chick magnet - especially in Ruby Red - and way more affordable than a Lamborghini.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers