Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why did you choose a Parker guitar?  (Read 7639 times)

Offline resist2112

Why did you choose a Parker guitar?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
I've wanted one ever since the day I saw Reeves Gabrels play one. I was like, what the hell is that super sexy guitar with all the wonderful contours? So first off it was the looks. I was able to sample 2 at the Musicians Friend outlet here in KC about 8 years ago and was blown away by how lite it was, how versatile the electronics were, and how fast the neck was.

I just ordered one from Funky Munky "also by my house" a few weeks ago. I went with the mojo in tangerine. I love the color shifts that go on in different lighting conditions. Sort of like my Goldtop Les Paul. Getting back to what first attracted me to the guitar. I think the tangerine color did the best job highlighting all those sexy curves, so I just bought my first.

Maybe one of the Parker guys can tell me how for along on the line my guitar is....

Very nice forum!!

Jeff

"I can learn to resist anything but temptation".

2011 Fly Mojo
Jeff

2011 Fly Mojo "Tangerine"

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds

Offline BillyT

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
It just hit the front shop area. That meeans it is out of the woodshop and into the paint area. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »
For years and years I went into my local guitar shops and played PRS, Gibson, and Fender Strats.  At that time I owned some Schecter, Ibanez, and other non-high end guitars.  If I closed my eyes and played a PRS/Gibson/Fender it just didn't really feel any different to me than my $500 Korean/Indonesian guitars.  I couldn't see spending the money just for a pretty face and a U.S. made name brand if the guitar itself really wasn't all that different.  So instead I replaced pickups and tuners in my cheap guitars and I was happy, until...

One day there was a used Nitefly in the shop.  I picked it up and immediately was floored by the neck, the fretboard, and the silky feeling of the frets.  I had a buddy who was always raving about Parker, but I just didn't really give them much thought.  I couldn't justify buying the Nitefly at the time, but it started me on the path to Parker.  A few months later I picked up a PM20 off eBay.  When I got it I found that it was a decent guitar, but it didn't have that neck, fretboard, or frets.  It felt pretty much like everything else I had ever picked up - except that Nitefly.

A few years later I finally found a Fly Mojo Singlecut on eBay when they were selling for not much more than cheap imports.  The day I got that guitar there was no turning back.  I started unloading my other guitars to be able to buy more Parkers.  A few months later I discovered the Fly Mojo Silverburst.  My first guitar was a cheap Cort Les Paul copy silverburst - so the silverburst always had a special place with me.  I told myself that if I ever found the opportunity to buy a silverburst Fly I would find a way to make it happen.  Not even a week later a Fly Mojo Silverburst came up on eBay.  I wrestled with the purchase for about a day, but finally pulled the trigger and it is the single best guitar purchase I've ever made in 30 years of playing.  That Silverburst is everything I've ever wanted in a guitar - it feels like part of me when I play it.

Of course that wasn't the end though.  Only a few months later I picked up a natural mahogany Fly Mojo Singlecut.  It's currently a "project" guitar as I'm adding piezo capability (bought a Fishman Tune-a-matic Powerbridge for it) and changing out the pickups.  I'm also replacing all the hardware with gold.  I'll post pics when I'm done.  It's been slow going though since we're in the middle of ski season.

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 03:46:54 AM »
2001 Fly Classic. I saw the ads in about 1993 in "Guitar Player" magazine. I wanted one straight away, but couldn't afford one. I finally bought mine used in 2005 (having never even SEEN a US Fly in the flesh, living as I do in the lost wastelands of central France).

It was everything I expected - light weight, perfect frets and intonation, no dead notes, stays in tune forever, great feel to the neck.
My GAS level fell to zero the day it arrived. [:)]

David

2001 Fly Classic -> Ibanez WD7 wah -> Digidelay -> Trainwreck clone -> 1x12 Fane cabinets
Live band demo: http://rustyzone.free.fr/S3cretCode_live_demo.mp3
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 05:07:28 AM »
I never liked the way they looked. Back in 95 I played a Fly Deluxe. Was blown by the way it played and it's high level of technical goodies. Bought one within a week.
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 07:43:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by captain_rusty

<...snip...>
My GAS level fell to zero the day it arrived. [:)]
<...>

After having years of constant GAS, mine also fell to zero ever since I got my DF.

I still look at guitars and appreciate their looks, but I have no desire to play them. In fact, I hardly ever play my other guitars anymore.

Notes

------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida

Offline resist2112

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 08:20:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by BillyT

It just hit the front shop area. That meeans it is out of the woodshop and into the paint area. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks Billy!! No hurry. You can't rush perfection. Although I am excited with reserved anticipation. [:)]

Jeff

"I can learn to resist anything but temptation".

Jeff

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds

Offline Noodler

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
I wouldn't say that my G.A.S. has hit zero now - I just want to buy more Parkers!

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »
Yeah, my GAS didn't go away, it matured.  Now I like REALLY expensive custom Parkers... [;)]

Plus, it morphed into a desire for a killer pedalboard to bring out all the cool tonal nuances of my Fly. [8)]

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline orpheus

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »
I really wanted one when they came out but just couldn't afford one.A few years went by and when I got a better paying job I went out to buy one but the music store that used to sell them didn't anymore so I went back a few months later just to see what they had and there was a used Parker Deluxe hard tail with the Stealth paint job!I played it and bought it on the spot!It just felt perfect in my hands.A few years after I bought a Nylon Fly and Im so happy with it,Its just so easy to play and they sound awesome!I also have no interest in the vintage guitar market whatsoever.I'd rather play a brand new Parker than an old Fender or Gibson.

Offline orpheus

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
I really wanted one when they came out but just couldn't afford one.A few years went by and when I got a better paying job I went out to buy one but the music store that used to sell them didn't anymore so I went back a few months later just to see what they had and there was a used Parker Deluxe hard tail with the Stealth paint job!I played it and bought it on the spot!It just felt perfect in my hands.A few years after I bought a Nylon Fly and Im so happy with it,Its just so easy to play and they sound awesome!I also have no interest in the vintage guitar market whatsoever.I'd rather play a brand new Parker than an old Fender or Gibson.

Offline Bry Guy

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
I got a double whammy years ago when I got to meet Ken Parker and play a Fly all in the same weekend. After that I was hooked but wasn't willing to spend the money on one at the time, even when my friend offered to sell me his Fly when he needed to move it.

Last year I played a DF522 and loved it. I found out about the Vernon Reid model and really liked the Parker feel shape and playability matched with a Floyd Rose, but again the price was a factor. Then as fate would have it, I found and played a DF422FR and it was love at first sight. Now that I have one, I can start saving for a VR and the DF will easily tide me over until I can swing the VR.

Since buying it I have had no desire to pick up another guitar, much less want to buy another one. Other than another Parker, my GAS is cured.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Noodler

One day there was a used Nitefly in the shop.  I picked it up and immediately was floored by the neck, the fretboard, and the silky feeling of the frets.  I had a buddy who was always raving about Parker, but I just didn't really give them much thought.  I couldn't justify buying the Nitefly at the time, but it started me on the path to Parker.  A few months later I picked up a PM20 off eBay.  When I got it I found that it was a decent guitar, but it didn't have that neck, fretboard, or frets.  It felt pretty much like everything else I had ever picked up - except that Nitefly.

Yeah. Take away that composite neck w/ stainless steel frets and it's like any other guitar AFAIAC.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Will2000

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
I was originally intrigued by the features, stainless steel frets, lightweight, carbon fiber neck and various electronics.  I was also attracted to the shape and design of the guitar, I like have something a little different than the average bear!  I have owned probably somewhere over 70 different guitars over the last 30 some years and just continued to search for what I thought was the perfect guitar.  Have had some good ones, but never a perfect one.  Liked longer scale guitars verse short scale, wanted a guitar with a variety of sounds possible (tired of lugging several guitars to gig with and the hassle of all that on stage) and just thought I would try a Parker.  Bought my first one early last year, have been hooked ever since.  Not saying they are the perfect guitar, very darn close!  I now have 7 parkers and have been slowly selling off some of my others that don't get used any more.
Will

Black 95' Deluxe Fly, Tobacco Sunburst 97' (SSS- EMGs) Nitefly, Tribal 00' Custom (SSH) Deluxe Fly, Natural 00' Nylon Fly, White 01' Classic Fly, Black Cherry Burst 03' Classic Fly, Red 03' (SSH - EMGs) Nitefly

Offline squege1

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
For me it is absolutely the feel of the neck, and stainless steel frets. There are so many other details that add up to make Parkers in a league of their own, but if I had to call out only 1 thing, no doubt, it's the neck.

2008 Fly Mojo Four Seasons Fall #7
2008 Fly Mojo Four Seasons Fall #7
2007 Nitefly SA - Natural Ash