Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE  (Read 20134 times)

Offline Gorbyrev

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »
Utterly wonderful - thank you so much for sharing. My friend has the Kinman 7s in his Strat deluxe on a swampash body - you can hear that core tonality. If my experience of the Axe-Fx is anything to go by you will love that too.

'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold
Axe-fx Ultra - believe the hype, it's awesome!
'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold,
'98 NFV6 Nitefly, trans blue
Axe-fx Ultra - vintage tone now the Axe-Fx II is out!

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »
UPDATE:

I just could NOT get a strat sound out of the kin mans with this guitar.  I tried.  Cleans were OK but anything with grit sounded blah to me after the first excitement.  So, I got rid of the Kinmans and put Di Marzio area 61s in there hoping for a nice bluesy strat tone.  No go.  Sucked just as bad.  I played around with height and such.  But it did not do it.  
Keep in mind that with this guitar, the noiseless are just a bit too high and get too close to the strings no matter what because of the shallowness of the instrument.  

So, I contacted and yelled "Uncle".  He recommended wither Fralins or SD SSL6.  Due strictly to financial considerations and the fact that my White guitar sounds so darn good, I went with three SSL 6.

Lo and behold!  The guitar now sounds like I hoped it would sound.  It's really really good.  I need to futz around with the capacitor because what I have in there is just a tad too darkening, but it's really what I was looking for.  The pick ups are now VERY low in the guitar (because regular strat pickups are so much shorter in height than the noiseless), so the output is quite a bit lower, but there's no string pull, no stratitis, no weird jangly overtones.  Just GOOD sound.

I'll post clips after the insane Holiday season is over.  But THIS is what I wanted.

Thanks Terry.

Maybe when I'm flush again I'll try the split blade from Fralin and see if I can get the best of both worlds, but right now, I'm a happy camper.

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE

Offline Tosh

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
Patrick, can you detail what or how the neck finish is different from a typical Parker Fly?  

And profile-wise, you've only described it to fit you well, and compared it dimensionally to your other Fly.  Did you go with the Vernon V?  I ask because I adore V neck profiles, but haven't yet had an opportunity to play a Vernon Reid signature model.  

Thanks! -Josh

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
Hey Josh,
hmmm, I'm not that good at describing neck profiles.  I never paid too much attention to that.
I remember when I got my first Jackson guitar, the neck was super flat compared to my Strat.   Later I got an Ibanez and the neck was similar to the Jackson but unfinished and was, at first sleeker, but with playing and hand grime was not as fun.
When I switched to Parker, the neck was perfect.  A gentle C, slightly deeper than the Ibanez and perfectly finished.
The Mojo neck was a little narrower than the Deluxe.
The current neck is slightly wider (not much) but with the same gentle C shape.  Super comfortable.  Better than the Ibanez or Jackson.  Not too thin.  Fits really well with my medium sized hands.
The finish is also fabulous.  The last layer is satirized, giving a ultra fine texture to the paint, making it feel like a satin neck - no resistance - but never grimy.  Not sure how else to describe it.
I hope this helps.

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE

Offline Tosh

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
Thanks, Patrick!  I have a Parker Fly Mojo.  I guess what I'm asking is this; is what you're describing about your neck's finish something you experience on every Fly Mojo, or was it something special you had done to your custom guitar only?

S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »
This was done custom for my guitar.
Now: Listen good!  You're going to think I'm crazy when you rad this, but I'm not:
If you take a pice of 800 grit emery cloth, use some masking tape to protect the headstock and the body, and gently satinize the neck, you'll get the same feel.  It will dull the finish on the back of the next but it will feel amazingly fast and soft.  Because of the high grit, your hands will eventually rub it out back to a high gloss, but the 800 grit removes microns off the paint.  So there's room to do it again many times without risking to touch the under layer.
On my guitar, the final layer is satirized.  If it rubs out, all i'd have to do it re-satinize it.  But it's holding out well so far.

Re: S3 Voodoo DF - UPDATE

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2014, 01:55:07 PM »
So I wanted to keep asking about the S3 pickups, so I came over here.

Did the SDs not gel after using them awhile? I've got a friend with some vintage Fralins he loves. I liked the sound of the Vintage Hot Fralins. I prefer noiseless myself so I use DiMarzio Areas. Will those stacked singles fit in your guitar? I think if I ordered a custom shop I'd have it routed deeper for the Areas. They are my favorites by a long shot.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »
I'm using SD rails.  They're OK.  But I'm not getting the strat spank out of them.  Maybe  I should've used vintage rails in all 3 positions.  That's still a possible scenario.
Fralin is just too expensive for me now.

I had the guitar routed as deep as Terry was willing to go.  He said if I screwed the pickup too deep, the screw will come out the back!  Ha ha. 

Maybe I need to call Lindy and ask him to make me a shallow noiseless.  I can just imagine what that would cost me.  I'd have to sell the guitar to afford it! ;)

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
Or sell the Chrome anyway!
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster