Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Favorite Tube Amp for Clean Mag Pickups?  (Read 18126 times)

dylancasacci

Re: Favorite Tube Amp for Clean Mag Pickups?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
My favorite tube amp for clean is my Fender Vibro-King (Using JJ Tubes and Tung-Sol tubes). It is very warm and clean with my '98 Fly Deluxe's Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro (Gen 1 DiMarzios didn't sound too great, they had to go) and with my Fender Telecaster, it is very bright and shimmering. I also use a vintage Jerry Jones Longhorn Bass6 and the clean through the Vibro-King with the Bass6 is AMAZING!

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
boy, when waddy wachtell (linda ronstadt ect.) fires up his two or three vibroverbs onstage at the joint on pico blvd i think, in LA on tuesday nights, it is any thing but warm, usually with a les paul with uncovered humbuckers.  but i would love to have a head.  terry reid sings with him at times.  now THERE'S an english guitarist that made a serious impact on me, open tunings, distortion- try 1969s speak now  http://youtu.be/pv1zu79377A

or listen to the record "the river" from about 1970 or 74s baby i love you.  moved me, grahm nash, humble pie, dave edmonds, led zep influences are all in there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:51:23 PM by bembamboo »

Offline seedlings

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »
Since my first post, I've had a good opportunity to run the Deluxe through several amps.

1967 Fender Bandmaster: Loud.  Barking.  Like when your dad used to yell out the back door for you to come inside or else, in a voice that cut through the entire neighborhood.  Just loud everything.
1966 Ampeg B-15: Not as loud, but similar, but with some boring-ness (15" speaker perhaps).
1994 Fender Twin: Loud.  Real dang loud.  Hurts loud.  Clean channel waivers from awesome perfect to slight bass-heavy.  Crunch channel is just a bit more edge.  The red gain channel sounds terrible (soon to be addressed on the bench).
1962? Gibson Crestline: Quiet.  10W push-pull, but real quiet.  Which means you turn it to 11 and sound like Buddy Holly.
Bugera 6262 Infinium: Meh... I love heavy music, though I'm not so good at playing it.  This sounds almost like the 5150 it's trying to be, but instead, it sounds like just another amp.  Loud though.

Plus several of my builds.  Right now she plays mostly through an original design, push-pull, cathode-biased KT66 amp.  It's set up so that the preamp, phase-inverter and power tubes start to saturate at the same place on the volume knob.  For me that's the perfect tone.

But I change speakers pretty often too!

CHAD

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »
chad, what speaks are you liking and why???