Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to preserve a musician's signature on a Parker  (Read 6680 times)

Offline AndyVt

How to preserve a musician's signature on a Parker
« on: April 10, 2011, 06:19:36 PM »
Hi, I couldn't find this topic covered anywhere. I have a 1999 Parker Fly Classic signed by two South African musicians who are Parker endorsed artists (Johnny Clegg and Andy Innes). I want to preserve their signatures which were done with a black Sharpie. I'm afraid that over time, the signatures will wear off. The guitar color is Trans Cherry. Does anyone have any ideas? My apologies if this has been covered somewhere. Thanks.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
You remind me of my greatest goof.  My Single 2 was autographed by Ken and I let it rub out by use!  Arghhh.

Anyhow, I assume the front of the guitar is signed, correct?  Sharpie should last a good long time, but there is a type of very thin plastic sheeting which is used to protect pain finishes which would could apply to the guitar.  It would also prevent pick scratches and so forth.  I applied this to the back of my guitar to protect it from buckle rash and other denim rivets.
You can google that fairly easily.  Pick the thinnest and apply it following the instruction.
Short of clear-coating the guitar, that's my best offering.

Check this website ... http://www.clearmask.com/  That's where I bought my stuff

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / TC Electronics G-System / Various pedals
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:23:21 PM by Patzag »
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline guitarmanuk

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
AndyVT - Andy Innes is a member here (AndyI) and chips in from time to time when touring allows.
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
don't play it ;)

---------
Marco
http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo :)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 Di Marzio PUs)
1993 Japanese "lawsuit" 1959 replica Les Paul
VOX AC30CC2X modded
Marshall JCM800 1959 SuperLead (1981)
Marshall JCM800 2203 (1983)
Marshall 1969 Basketweave with Pre-Rola G12mS T1221 / 102 003
Marshall JMP-1 MIDI valve preamp
2010 Laney CUB12
Palmer PDI-03
2010 Blackstar HT-Boost valve pedal
1981 BOSS SD-1

"I haven't got a 1968 Plexi, but.. I've got 1968 Rayban Aviators! :)"
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by wkcchampion

don't play it ;)

Yeah, that was my first thought, too. [:D]

Clearcoating it would probably definitely make it run as well as mess up the existing finish.

So I would also suggest a thin clear non-adhesive plastic sheeting of some sort that you could stick on the guitar. However, I think that it may also affect the Sharpie marker over time, by way of possible chemical interaction. Just a hunch I have, I'm certainly not an expert in this area.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:00:27 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Clear coat will work, but probably best left to a pro if you don't have much experience.  

It takes some practice with a "misting" technique to keep the ink from dissolving in the paint solvents, letting it dry, and then building heavier wet coats on top.  The tricky part is blending the edges so you don't get a line.

If you mess up, you lose the signature and then have a bit of a mess on your guitar.

I like Pat's idea of a clear sheet.

Billy

[Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline AndyVt

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:13:05 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for all the great ideas. Yes I know Andy Innes posts here sometimes. He is the one who suggested that I ask all of you!

I agree that not playing it would be the safest but that's not going to happen. So, I guess I will look into a misting technique clear coating and see if anyone at one of my two local guitar shops does it. Thanks again. If anyone has other ideas, please chime in.

--Andy in Vermont
(by the way, Andy Innes is touring right now with the Johnny Clegg Band. They did the East coast (I saw them in Lebanon, NH and Boston) and are now in Canada. Hitting the Pacific Northwest in a week or so.You can get the schedule at www.johnnyclegg.com

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:17:44 PM »
I have to warn you, that clear coat thing can be tricky...

I had another thought that you could try putting some water-clear decals over the ink.  Its possible to buy ink-jet diy water clear decal sheets and print or cut as desired.  Some of the diy FX box guys use these frequently.

The clear decal (no print) should help a lot but you can also clear coat over that too.  The problem is that the edge line of the decal will show some, and you still need to blend the edges of the new clear coat to the old.

Again, you will have to start with a light mist coat to prevent the decal from wrinkling under the lacquer, but I think its a bit more forgiving than going straight over the ink.

Billy

[Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 04:27:02 PM »
Good luck whatever you decide to do. Show us some pics of it when you're done! [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Offline resist2112

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »
I'm not sure clear vinyl/laminate would be the way to go. If you try to remove it later it will probably take most of the signature with it, and you would have adhesive to cleanup. I don't think it would look very good either. If you don't install it properly, it will look like those cars that drive around with the do-it-yourself window tint kits with all the bubbles and creases.

Maybe static cling would work. I'll have to try some tomorrow. I've been in the sign/graphics business for 20 years now, and I have access to all sorts of materials.

Jeff

2011 Fly Mojo "Tangerine"

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds
Jeff

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by resist2112

I'm not sure clear vinyl/laminate would be the way to go. If you try to remove it later it will probably take most of the signature with it, and you would have adhesive to cleanup. I don't think it would look very good either. If you don't install it properly, it will look like those cars that drive around with the do-it-yourself window tint kits with all the bubbles and creases.

Yeah, that was one reason why I said a clear NON-adhesive thing to cover it up. Even if that worked, I think that there would be a chemical interaction between the marker and the plastic over time - the plastic will probably try to leach the marker off of the guitar.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:47:27 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline resist2112

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
You are correct Paul. I should have read your post more thoroughly instead of the quick scan. I tried the static cling on an old mandolin I have in my shop. It held up pretty well. It could be used while playing and removed when displayed. Doesn't look to pretty though. What Paul described may work similarly. You should have told him to sign your case.... [:D]

Jeff

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:01:37 AM by resist2112 »
Jeff

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by resist2112

You are correct Paul. I should have read your post more thoroughly instead of the quick scan. I tried the static cling on an old mandolin I have in my shop. It held up pretty well. It could be used while playing and removed when displayed. Doesn't look to pretty though. What Paul described may work similarly. You should have told him to sign your case.... [:D]

No worries Jeff. [;)]

I just don't see a good way to accomplish what the OP wants.

"Permanent" marker isn't so permanent. It will come off of most things very easily with just rubbing alcohol.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:54:11 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline AndyVt

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:22 AM »
Thanks again everyone. I am really impressed with all the great ideas and helpful advice. Had I known what was involved, yes I should have asked Johnny and Andy to sign the case not the guitar!!  But I think I'm going to go for it. I will do some before and after pictures. I never mentioned that this guitar is "well played." It has a couple of dents and dings and it also has two screw holes around the pickups where a Roland GK2 synthesizer pickup used to be. Here's the plan. It will go into action in a few days. Shout out if anyone sees any major problems!
Seth, local guitar tech and wizard, has agreed to disassemble and reassemble the guitar for $50. Alan, a local sign maker, who does bodywork on motorcycles and is an electric guitar player, will repair the dents, fill the holes, and clear coat the guitar. We talked about doing the entire guitar, but decided that it would be best if he does the front and the side but not the back. He's going to "feather" and buff it so he doesn't think anyone will notice that the new coat of clear coat is not on the back. He's also going to stop at the base of the neck (possibly this could be noticed but he doesn't think so). Alan says he will have to lightly scratch the front finish so the clearcoat will adhere. He will scratch around the signature, clean the finish above the signature with water to remove finger oils but not hard enough to remove the sharpie ink. He'll do it for $250. Crazy investment on a guitar probably not worth more than $1,000? Perhaps. But now that I have the signatures, I feel obliged to preserve them to honor the two fabulous musicians who signed it. I enjoy their live music and recorded CDs so much, and so I feel I am honoring them as well. Patzag your comment about losing a Ken Parker signature was a great warning. And I should mention that the transparent cherry Parker Fly Classic guitar is generally what you see if you type Johnny Clegg into any image search engine. So it is sort of his signature guitar. He and Andy are not playing that color any more, but Johnny definitely used to and maybe Andy did too. Thanks again!

Offline billy

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 11:19:37 AM »
that's cool- the feathering and buffing is what I was refering to.  The motorcycle body work should be great training!  

Since it seems you have some minor cosmetic issues already, I'd really think about putting the clear water slide decals over the signatures before doing anything else.

you can get the water slide in 8.5x11" sheets for about $2ea.  They're just like those decal sheets from plastic model car and plane kits only you can print your own designs on them with a printer.  So don't print anything and cut to fit, soak the sheet in some water, then apply and let it dry.

Your paint guy should have no trouble "sinking" this kind of decal in the clear coat, and he can probably feather the decal edges a bit too before spraying.  You still have to do a light mist coat first though.

Good luck!

Billy

Billy