Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Horrible PDF60  (Read 19241 times)

Offline guvnor64

Horrible PDF60
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »
Greetings all,

This is my first post.  I just received a new Parker PDF60 guitar.  I was a bit concerned buying an import Parker as all my other guitars are high end American made instruments.  I chose the import because I wanted a light weight guitar to travel with.  The guitar satisfies this requirement however, the build quality is quite bad.  The low and high E strings fall off the fretboard, there are frets sticking out of the fretboard and the enclosed tools do not fit the appropriate screws.  In addition, the neck to neck pocket fit is extremely poor.  alder wood chips actually stick out from the pocket.  Also, there was no truss rod cover.
Despite these horrible manufacturing errors, I do like the Parker DF shape and trem.  Therefore, I plan to return the import and buy an American made Parker DF with hope that the American factory has more pride in their work than the outsourced factory.  Quite simply:  Buy American, Be American.
Personally, I would like to see Parker close their import line and concentrate on the American built guitars.  The import line, in my opinion just cheapens the Parker name.
I did contact Parker regarding these issues but, their attitude was a bit unconcerned.  This is sad as my dealings with Anderson and Grosh have been met with positive enthusiasm.
I plan to purchase a DF724 this coming week.  I am confident this guitar will meet my expectations as it is built in America.
Tom Anderson Classic 'T' (2)
Grosh ElectraJet (2)
Meas Boogie Amps
Larivee Acoustic LV-05

Horrible PDF60

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Horrible PDF60
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »
Bummer, sorry to hear that. This sort of stuff gives Parker Guitars a bad name. Hopefully QC will step up their efforts to make sure this sort of stuff doesn't happen in the future.

I have a '95 Fly and an '05 Nitefly Mojo and both are fantastic guitars. I played a used import at Guitar Center once not too long ago, it didn't impress me at all.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Horrible PDF60

Offline ParkerP

Horrible PDF60
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »
Hi!

The problem actually, is not about those guitars being imported from Asia, also it's not a poor QC problem only, as this control is at the end at the assembling chain, so it may be faced to a dilemma of rejecting most of the guitars, or being more forgiving instead...
The main problems are of CNC handling accuracy, and also of primitive methods currently used on fit/correction when needed.

At this moment I've got three P-series Parkers made in Korea and one made in Indonesia, some time ago also had and sold another one made in Indonesia, and can say that all those guitars are very well finished, despite I must confirm there is a slight difference in hidden places such as inside of neck pockets and of trem routings.

While the Korean guitars are perfect in every respect as any minor and rare fit corrections were made by slight re-routing as intended, in the case of the Indonesian instruments, such corrections were made manually, using chisels, and of course this is a questionable method with unpredictable, unperfect results, even worse when doing such corrections on guitars already finished with a hard coat of two-component PU finish...

These are the problems actually and it would be good if Parker/US Music Corp could demand their urgent correction to the factory plant.

Cheers, JPB

Horrible PDF60

Offline guvnor64

Horrible PDF60
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:09:34 PM »
The PDF60 I bought had a made in China label on the back of the headstock.  While the body carve and finish was top notch, the neck and frets are extremely poor.  There is no excuse for Parker allowing frets popping off the fretboard out of the shop.  Plus, this was the second PDF60 the retailer ordered for me.  The first was not even shipped to me due to finish issues.
As an American consumer, I suppose we are all victims to poor quality products.  The shame is how Parker cared very little for my communications.  I just hope that the DF724 I ordered will be a fine American made guitar.  Not the junk coming out of the overseas factories.
Grosh ElectraJet (2)
Meas Boogie Amps
Larivee Acoustic LV-05

Horrible PDF60

Offline ParkerP

Horrible PDF60
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »
Hi again!

Well, then it seems that the imported Parker production is moving downwards, not only cost-wise, but also quality-wise, and that's really bad, even worse when they do not seem to care much about...

While the production change from Korea to Indonesia did only show the differences I've described above, surely not good but restrained to a certain extent (still not visible) as this move was within two different plants belonging to the same maker (Cort, I think), now the described flaws do hit the most important component of the guitar, the neck itself.
So this gonna be fatal for the PDF range and pretty bad for the Parker brand in general terms, if no urgent measures are provided.

Cheers, JPB
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:18:08 AM by ParkerP »

Horrible PDF60

Offline guvnor64

Horrible PDF60
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
As I wait for my new USA Parker, I did play a DF524 at a local music store - I ordered my new Parker from an Internet dealer.  The 524 was a fantastic guitar with exceptional quality.  I guess you could say you get what you pay for but, we have to keep in mind that the only reason Parker has an import line is to save on labor costs.  What country can compete with Chinese labor?  Either way, I still feel that the import line cheapens the Parker name.  Breedlove, PRS, Gretsch, Martin ....the list goes on.  All these companies are compromising their name by offering an imported line.  Just to save on labor and benefit costs.  Sad.
Grosh ElectraJet (2)
Meas Boogie Amps
Larivee Acoustic LV-05

Re: Horrible PDF60

parker_ita_cust81

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
I'm in the same position of the user guvnor64.
I've bought a Parker pdf70 made in china, but the quality of the wood of the neck is poor and the locking tuners are far way different from the indonesian ones. In addiction it has a s/n structure with different number groupings.
I'm going to give it back this tuesday. It's a shame that Parker allows such poor quality control not only for the finish and setup but also for essential components such as the wood of the neck and tuners.
Hope that helps
Bye.

Offline mftmaine

• http://mftmaine.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:02:36 PM »
As a former Parker dealer (funny, we are still shown as a dealer on the Parker website, though we've been closed for over a year...), I had my concerns when they changed over from the P series to the PDF.  With Jam buying US Music, the writing was on the wall that the products where going to be "tweaked".  Most all "brands" chase around from mfg to mfg in Asia, to whoever gives them the best prices.  When Samick was manufacturing the majority of the imported guitars, they were great!  Then with the US dollar taking a dive, they first transitioned to Samick's Indonesia plant, and then all ran to China to set up shop with whoever was the low bidder.  I watched the quality of the guitars get worst and worst over the years, and finally just threw my hands up in the air and said "I give up"!  Plus as one of the earlier posts, having people come in, jam around on my guitars, and then order one up off the internet.  I'd usually hear how "gesh, I bought that same guitar from MF for $40 less, but it doesn't play as good as the one you have... an you fix mine?"  The next words were usually "Oh, as a Parker dealer, can't you fix this under warrenty???"  Well first, it's not a warrenty issue, it's a set-up issue.  I would spend my time getting my guitars tweaked prior to hitting the wall.  My  advise would be they probably need a good set-up.  So of course the next question is "how much?"  $60, and plus the cost of strings.  Of course they would argue the strings are fine, and I'd tell them that if they want it to sound like the guitar in my shop, you have to change out the strings.  I mean, who knows how long they've been on that guitar.  Of course then I'd get "but that's $20 more then if I bought it from you!".  Ya, and I didn't make a dime on the sale, so you will pay my normal set-up fee. 

Guys, please support your local shops, as they are the guys that can make your guitars sing. 

BTW: I love my Parker P44 and PB-41 bass.  They play as nice as any of the US made models, but then again... I set them up!
Parker PM20 with 3x3 headstock (prototype)
Gretsch Roc Jet electric (Formally Porche Pumpkin, now natural...) Early 70s circa.
S101 (strat copy, but made by the same mfg who makes the Squires in China.  Very sweet guitar.)
Sigma DR-28 Acoustic (by Martin, Japanese model)  70s circa
Epiphone FT-130 (by Gibson, Japanese model)70s circa
Fender Twin Reverb Blackface Reissue (Johnny Hiland has played this amp 3 times!)

Offline droid

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:27:14 AM »
I am a Parker player since the mid 90s and I have had my issues with Parker starting with the Mojo I bought in 2003. Then in 2009 a Dragonfly that I had to have rebuilt 3 times. They had my money so I wasn't going to give up till I got what I wanted. Through the process they felt bad for me so they gave me an Indonesian made PDF60. It was actually a very good playing guitar. The Seymour Duncan HBs sounded really good. I was surprised and I play it quite a bit. The only real problems I had was the machine heads were very cheap and the locking heads didn't hold the strings. I was fortunate to find some replacement Shallers at a guitar show for cheap. I guess it is hit and miss with these imported guitars.

Offline MetalParkerGuy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 02:15:48 AM »
I took a shot on a PDF60 and when I got it out of the box, I was really surprised. Stunned, in fact. After reading this post and a few others, I was worried my $500 was going towards a POS. I could not have been more pleased with what arrived. Now, in all fairness, I purchased it from Sweetwater Music and they do a complete setup and inspection before it leaves the store. So, who knows what, if anything, they found wrong and fixed before shipping. But what I received was worth every cent of that $500. I spent a solid 15 minutes going over every square millimeter and checking with feeler gauges, straight edges, scales and calipers. The only thing I could say was not right was on the back of one of the tuners, there are these little aluminum disk about 1/4" round that cover up the bottom of the tuner. Cosmetic only. Two of them were not glued in very well and fell out. That is it. So, perhaps they got their collective act together, I got lucky, or you were unlucky. I only replied to add a bit of counterbalance to your bad review. So the folks out there know that where you buy is as important as what you buy. Cheers mate.

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
My wife has an old PM-10 from Korea - the build on that is flawless

I have to DFs, a DF524NS and a custom built DF522NN (for Notes Norton). Both are made in the USA and both are excellent.

I prefer to deal with my local music store, and don't mind paying the premium to keep them in business. I had to get these guitars on-line though, because my local Ma and Pa store can't get Parkers. However, I get my strings, picks, music books and everything else I can from them. The reward? I have the owner's personal cell phone number in my pocket. If anything fails on the gig, I'm to give him a call and he will open the shop and deliver what I need. Try getting that from GC.

I did have a problem with my first DF. A few months after the warranty expired, the body cracked near the neck pickup. I wrote to Parker and they told me to send it back to them and they would fix it - they didn't charge me anything for that.

A year or so later it cracked in the same place. I wrote to Parker and they told me to send it back and they would build me a brand new guitar. So here it was, well over a year out of warranty and because it cracked in the same place, Parker determined it was a bad piece of wood and I got a new guitar.

Excellent customer service and now I own two excellent Parker DF guitars.

Notes
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida

Offline PDF105 Guy

• MaxxFly PDF105QBB, via Vox Valvetronix VT20+ amp
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 01:44:52 AM »
I am very happy with my PDF 105 from China.
--PDF105 Guy

Offline AlysiaBecerra

• A Guitar blog, amplifiers, effect pedals choosing guides.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 01:52:31 AM »
i just curious about how you can get those import ones. and i only trust the local shop. feel sorry about ur import one and hope you have fun with the new DF724!!

Offline Mozeby75

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
I just bought. Pdf60 yesterday, used from a local store. It's indonesian made, like my fantastic pm20 pro that I've owned for over 3 years. I don't see any build quality issues. Maybe it's because of the plant. Don't know. I know my pm20 has stickers and tags that say it was setup and inspected in the u.s. Before shipped. That probably makes a big difference. Anyway compared to some other $500 guitars I recently looked, like ibanez and epi phone, these are better built. Plus have some better components.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 08:51:25 AM »
The import line, in my opinion just cheapens the Parker name.
I did contact Parker regarding these issues but, their attitude was a bit unconcerned. 

That import line came into being when US Music Corp bought Parker Guitars. It's all because they were trying to make the Parker brand more profitable. But at what cost? I agree that poorly built import guitars does nothing to help the brand name at all. Unfortunately because most people want to buy guitars in the $300-500 range, when people get cheap imports with issues, that's where it will be trumpeted the loudest, on forums like this and others where a great number of guitarists hang out. Sad, but it is what it is. I'm just glad that I got my three USA manufactured Parkers which were made before Ken sold the company. Not sure about anything made anywhere after about 2005-2006.  ???