Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker PM20 review  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Mr. Charlie

Parker PM20 review
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
Greetings!

The most phenomenal thing just happened in my life...
I traded into a USED Parker PM20! Why is this a phenomenon? Well, to start with, I'd never picked one up, and when I did- it started PLAYING ME! An outstanding design ethic is expressed here! As a sidebar, I'd have to say that I've owned some spiffy stuff (ie; handmade Hamers, PRS's, Moore's- etc.), and the feel of this guitar (mid 2000's model) is just STUPID COOL! I am also a luthier, and the level of quality in the woods, as well as the build, is- once again- outstanding! I'd have to say that the only thing that I'd swap on this axe is the Grovers, and the bridge- but that just reflects MY preferences. I'd LOVE to hear this design done with nitro lacquer, rather than the poly that it's coated in...!The Mahogany used on this guitar is 'wood library' grade, and the cap is definitely NOT 'photo flame' (you can see 'grain wave' in the relief of the finish- indicating more than a simple veneer...)! The heel blend on this guitar is a work of art- if not genius!! Mine has the Ebony board, and is of ex++ quality.
The punchline-
I traded into this mint/un-played example for $250!!!!!
I have yet to check out a current issue of this guitar, but if you enjoy clarity, harmonics that leap off of the pick, and a variety of tones- both clean, and gained (oh- how sweet this thing is with some hair on the signal!), then this is probably your cup of tea! Don't by a Paul, and buy 10 of these instead!!! 9 out of 10 rating!

Re: Parker PM20 review

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
They're one of the hidden treasures of the guitar world.  I've owned three of them.  If you can get ahold of a 2009 model with the phenolic fretboard, you won't be disappointed.  The phenolic fretboards are very similar in feel and playability to the Fly carbon glass fretboards.  I have a friend who has a 2008 PM20 Pro, and it has the phenolic fretboard as well.  One incredible guitar for the price.

I had a 2005 flame, but I sold it because the neck was more u-shaped and thicker than my '08.  I also have a 2009 with the bubinga top and phenolic fretboard.  Awesome! Oddly enough, the bubinga seems to add almost a pound of weight to the guitar.  My '08 flame weighs 6 lbs 8 oz. My '09 Bubinga weighs 7 lbs 7 oz.

I do go on, but I'm also a huge fan of the PM20.
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
...I have yet to check out a current issue of this guitar...9 out of 10 rating!
Sadly, the PM's are no longer being made. But glad you discovered it. I'm with you on the phenomenal rating!

...I'm also a huge fan of the PM20.
Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict

Offline Mr303

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:54:00 AM »
I love my '08 PM20 Pro.  My 05 Bubinga ain't bad either.
 Both of them weigh less than any LP.
Every description here is spot on.
Once I pick one up and play all the other LP style guitars fade away into distant memory.
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline willross

• GrammyPro
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
I love my PM20:

Added drop-in replacement machines: Grover Mini Locking Rotomatics.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:08:58 PM by willross »

Offline Mr303

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »
This is a necro-post sort of but I loaned my bubinga PM20 to a friend which made me get the Pro out that I had stashed away. Which made me do a search for PM20 Pro.....which brought me back to this post.....ok no more preamble.

I gave it a few a hours play time yesterday just because and again I know why I like this one so much, it is unmatched by any Les Paul style I've ever played.  Everything just fits and works flawlessly. Especially the sustain.

[Nigel Tufnel is showing Marty DiBergi one of his favorite guitars]
Nigel Tufnel: The sustain, listen to it.
Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.
Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing.

He had to be talking about his PM20 Pro! 8)

And  of course

[discussing Nigel's Guitar collection]
Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.
Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?
Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!
Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.
Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.
Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?
Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.

(Probably a Gibson or Fender)
 :o

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline imalrightjack

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »
OP - photographs?