Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dumbed down fly or dragonfly  (Read 7788 times)

Offline iwannaparker7string

dumbed down fly or dragonfly
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:22:42 AM »
Hello. I know I may receive some death threats for this but I thought I would share this sentiment that me and many people I know seem to have towards parker guitars. I was wondering if parker has ever considered really dumbing down the fly (or dragonfly for that matter) to just a regular carbon fiber guitar. I'm talking the same great parker quality in its carbon fiber line, but without all the amenities like the piezo pups, the parker tremolo, the crazy volume controls, etc. I noticed that parker already did this with the single cut, but that these had ebony fretboards, pup rings (at least most of them i've seen) and just looked ugly as hell so they didn't seem to be real parkers. Would parker ever consider releasing say a Dragonfly body guitar with a carbon fiber wrap and fingerboard, ss frets, and with a stop tail fixed bridge? basically would parker ever consider releasing a dragonfly (maxxfly) df824 without a piezo/parker bridge, and instead put a stop tail fixed bridge? Basically the point of this would be to make the guitar WAY more affordable, while simplifying the electronics problems like cross talk etc. Also, while I played a lot with my piezo initially, i never really use it anymore and just thought to myself "what if parker made these w/o piezo's. i wonder how much more affordable it would be??". Terry, would this ever be possible? I love parkers, but i would love the feel and quality of a parker with a stop tail bridge and just the reg pups. I figure the cost would be an added bonus seeing that those single cuts sell for around $2000.

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:09 AM »
And just to clarify, I'm not interested in the bolt ons, but rather the top of the line carbon fiber guitars without all of the amenities.

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »
Did you think about custom ordering a non-piezo hardtail?

Greetings...
Nef

Offline gryder

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 04:19:37 AM »
Doesn't the Washburn line have a "Parker" neck model? Not sure how well it worked, but was an interesting idea.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 06:04:52 AM »
I don't think you would save as much as you'd might think.

I'd bet the majority of the high cost of the Fly comes from the cost of manufacturing that thin body with baked on exoskeleton finished to a piece of art.

The actual cost of Piezo,preamp,and trem might save hundreds but it cuts in to what a Parker is and the price would still be up there.

Before USM, Parker offered a "Standard" model w/o piezo or trem. It cost almost the same as a regular Fly.

For better or worse, the next major cost saving experiment that might be investigated, is to drop the exoskeleton and insert a carbon rod w/in the body for stability. But I wouldn't think the side ways stiffness of an internal rod is nearly as strong as a stabilizing blanket of exoskeleton. And if a rod were strong in that direction, it seems to me it would also negate the effectiveness of a truss rod. But I am not an engineer. Who knows ? Interesting concept.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:08:32 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline BillyT

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:27:49 AM »
Bill, we did it already. It is thee low carb fly and loww carb maxx fly. They are in the mid two''s for a retail price.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:50:58 AM »
Well, there ya go. [:I]

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:51:18 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »
i dunno, i think it would be a great idea to simplify the 800 dragonfly's or reg fly's even if it knocked down the price a few hundred bucks. this may be something to think about but not sure how parker would approach it. again, the idea being to have the same great parker quality and sleek playability of the neck, w/o the amenities and complicated electronics. Hopefully it'll one day be considered.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Nefarius

Did you think about custom ordering a non-piezo hardtail?

I was thinking about it but my dealer near here refuses to order dragonfly's for some reason. I'm going to check to see if there is another dealer near by that might be able to make this happen.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by iwannaparker7string

i dunno, i think it would be a great idea to simplify the 800 dragonfly's or reg fly's even if it knocked down the price a few hundred bucks. this may be something to think about but not sure how parker would approach it. again, the idea being to have the same great parker quality and sleek playability of the neck, w/o the amenities and complicated electronics. Hopefully it'll one day be considered.

I don't think it will "knock off" anything from the price to not have piezos on the guitar and a hardtail bridge. In fact, I would be willing to bet that it would be the same or more than the asking price for a standard production guitar because now someone has to take the time to do exactly what you want, and a hardtail bridge is probably an uncommon item for them now (assuming that you want to order this as a custom).

The electronics are not complicated to use if that is what you mean. IMO, it's pretty self-explanatory and easy to use, even on a pre-refined Fly.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:19:33 PM by Paul Marossy »

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

quote:

I don't think it will "knock off" anything from the price to not have piezos on the guitar and a hardtail bridge. In fact, I would be willing to bet that it would be the same or more than the asking price for a standard production guitar because now someone has to take the time to do exactly what you want, and a hardtail bridge is probably an uncommon item for them now (assuming that you want to order this as a custom).

The electronics are not complicated to use if that is what you mean. IMO, it's pretty self-explanatory and easy to use, even on a pre-refined Fly.

Well maybe some of us after a while don't care for the piezos and also like the feel of a stop tail bridge. And no I'm not dumb. I am well aware of how "the electronics" for a parker work. Basically what it boils down to is that not everyone can enjoy the same things. some of us "don't care" for extras after playing around with it for a while. And you may be right about the fixed bridge costs but your looking at like 300 for those piezo pups so at the worst it would prob be the same. Again look at how much those single cuts went for vs. your average fly. hmmmmmmm looks like a few hundred less for me. what do you think?

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 07:26:47 AM »
Practically speaking, all real Fly's (carbon exoskelton) are custom done. Some for custom orders, some for prospective dealers.

I know that Parker (and a dealer) would be more than happy to sell anyone this Simplified Fly for 300 dollars less than the regular Fly.

I didnt realize thats all you were asking for.

So why not just call up a dealer and go for it !

And we want pics !

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
quote:
Well maybe some of us after a while don't care for the piezos and also like the feel of a stop tail bridge. And no I'm not dumb. I am well aware of how "the electronics" for a parker work. Basically what it boils down to is that not everyone can enjoy the same things. some of us "don't care" for extras after playing around with it for a while. And you may be right about the fixed bridge costs but your looking at like 300 for those piezo pups so at the worst it would prob be the same. Again look at how much those single cuts went for vs. your average fly. hmmmmmmm looks like a few hundred less for me. what do you think?

It sounds to me like you want to turn a Parker into some other guitar. If it's not what you want then why don't you look at the alternatives? ie Fender, Gibson, PRS, Ibanez, etc.

Everyone that comes here griping about stuff they don't like about Parker Guitars all have one thing in common: they want to de-Parkerize the classic Parker Guitar design. Even USMC is guilty of this after they bought the company from Ken Parker several years ago.

I just think it's dumb. It's like getting on a Fender forum and whining about the Strat, that it should be more like a Les Paul. Then go buy a Les Paul!

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
Paul, I don't agree.  Going had tail and no piezo is not de-parkerizing, it's just knowing what one wants.
I'm having my custom made without a piezo, like some others have before me (witness Marco's Norse collection).
I have one Parker with Piezo.  That's as many as I'll ever use.  Iwannaparker7string (please get a shorter name [;)] knows what he wants.  He wants a light, thin, ultimately playable guitar, with a set neck and no heel joint, perfect intonation and stainless steel frets that don't wear out, but without a piezo or trem.  Sounds like a custom Parker to me.  Got for it Iwanna, and post pictures when you get it.  It should be awesome!

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / TC Electronics G-System / Various pedals
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Patzag

Paul, I don't agree.  Going had tail and no piezo is not de-parkerizing, it's just knowing what one wants.
I'm having my custom made without a piezo, like some others have before me (witness Marco's Norse collection).
I have one Parker with Piezo.  That's as many as I'll ever use.  Iwannaparker7string (please get a shorter name [;)] knows what he wants.  He wants a light, thin, ultimately playable guitar, with a set neck and no heel joint, perfect intonation and stainless steel frets that don't wear out, but without a piezo or trem.  Sounds like a custom Parker to me.  Got for it Iwanna, and post pictures when you get it.  It should be awesome!

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / TC Electronics G-System / Various pedals

+1

I never use the piezo, and never use the trem. I would prefer exactly what iwannaparker7string wants. I have a Single Cut, and while yes it has no piezo or trem, it's a little bulky and not as comfy to play as my Deluxe. The Fly brige is more comfy than a LP style stop tail piece. So a DF with a non-trem Fly bridge and without piezos would be a welcome model to the line, imo. I'd definitely be wanting to buy one!

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Parker Fly Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
A few pedals...
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...