Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding a 'good' Parker 5 string bass  (Read 6661 times)

Offline straggler13

• http://www.youtube.com/user/13STRAGGLER?ob=0&feature=results_main
Finding a 'good' Parker 5 string bass
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
Hi folks. I am just out of the cold and into this new-to-me Parker forum. Should have done it a long time ago - or four months ago when I bought my first Parker: a Fly Custom, new old stock, 127108BP -1998?  ( NOTE: If there is some reason for me to not show my serial number, let me know and I'll edit this post - I noticed some of y'all use x's, and perhaps???)
 But I am mighty proud of my Parker. And even though "Helen" is rather ugly with her Doli-esque melting watch figure, I would not ever divorce her for a slim blonde strat or a large-breasted gibson ( note the irreverent lack of capital letters! ) I think it's the weight that first attracted me to her. I cotton to light-weight chics and axes....man.
But, here's the thing: Since I prefer the light-weight ones, I decided to get me a five string bass too.  I will not tell the entire story here but just the meat: I saw this "Parker" on ebay and bought it. When I got it these were the ID's on it: Parker ( NORACT???) on front heastock, sn 08011048, and made in INDONESIA, on the back headstock. The seller, named "1stdeal",  also told me they thought the weight was 'around seven pounds' per their info from Amazon.com -who I no longer buy anything from- who they probably got the guitar from.  It came about three days later...and boy was I excited .... then not. Since I already have a Schecter Diamond 5( very early make ) and find it too heavy, I was very sad to find that the "Parker" was even a little bit heavier...around 9.2 to 9.6 pounds. DANG!
So I'm in the process of retruning it ...although the dealer is dragging his feet a lttle : Forgot to send me the requiered RMA number ( ooops) so they would not return it to me again because it had no RMA number. I'm sure they'll comply with their own rules eventually ...some day soon.
So, here's my questions:
What is this guitar? Is it a Parker? It kinda looks like a Parker, it has some nice EMG pu's, and a QC stamp dated 2/10/08.
There is another Parker 5 on the market for about $1000 more than the one I am returning. Does this new one weigh in at 9+ pounds too?
If not, if it is in the 7 pound range, should I buy this new one - I think it's at Sweetwater or?? I have heard a lot of rumors and oppinions about the latest Parkers. Are they less than they used to be? Can I still trust the name? Do they compare favorably with the other high-tech light 5 strings in the market or has their day long passed?

So, to summarize: What was this first Parker?
Can I trust that the ones which are sold at retail music stores are the real thing and have, at least, some of the original features that I bought my first Parker for?

Thanks for helping me with this.
Your humble servant,
Greg

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »
Hi there, and welcome. First off, go to the main Parker site and download the 2007 product catalog. That catalog will show you the basic differences between the 'Fly Bass' and the 'PB...' series. From the description you gave, you have one of the PB models. The Fly Bass was a better instrument, but IMO none of those really deserved the Parker name, and definitely not the Fly name. They are just basses in my book, and are prone to a number of problems, as you will see if you read some of the other threads in this subforum. Those instruments were discontinued with good reason.

We have heard that the company is now working on releasing a brand new line of basses, so there's some hope. Until then, if you want a really light bass that can hold together over time, consider the Gibson EB line. I like my 42-year-old EB3, which is well matched to my SG. I sure wish there was a real Fly bass, though... like this prototype that never made it to production:

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline straggler13

• http://www.youtube.com/user/13STRAGGLER?ob=0&feature=results_main
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »
Thanks for your reply ....I know I am very late in my post ....months. But I will check out the tips you gave me. I was waiting for NAMM to see if the PArker Bass was going to be "real" as you have said... well...sadly, it ain't _IMHO.

I will just stick to the Custom Fly New old stock 6 string I have and try your Gibson tip to see what they can offer.
Your humble servant,
Greg

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »
These posts are old indeed.

Did you hear about the brand new Max Fly bass ? Its 4 strings but looks cool and weighs just over 6 lbs.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:26:50 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Re: Finding a 'good' Parker 5 string bass

Offline RandyD

Re: Finding a 'good' Parker 5 string bass
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:14:55 AM »
Hi there, and welcome. First off, go to the main Parker site and download the 2007 product catalog. That catalog will show you the basic differences between the 'Fly Bass' and the 'PB...' series. From the description you gave, you have one of the PB models. The Fly Bass was a better instrument, but IMO none of those really deserved the Parker name, and definitely not the Fly name. They are just basses in my book, and are prone to a number of problems, as you will see if you read some of the other threads in this subforum. Those instruments were discontinued with good reason.

We have heard that the company is now working on releasing a brand new line of basses, so there's some hope. Until then, if you want a really light bass that can hold together over time, consider the Gibson EB line. I like my 42-year-old EB3, which is well matched to my SG. I sure wish there was a <b>real</b> Fly bass, though... like this prototype that never made it to production:

I have a 5 for sale, check out my post....RandyD

<font size="1">'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard</font id="size1">