Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Axe FX II  (Read 19487 times)

Offline resist2112

Axe FX II
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stevie axeman

Or as Allan Holdsworth once said when someone saw his 80s/90s enormo-rack :

"Why do you need all that gear when you only use 2 sounds???"
Allan - "How do you think i GET those 2 sounds???"

That made me chuckle... [:D]

Jeff

2011 Fly Mojo "Tangerine"

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds
Jeff

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds

Axe FX II

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Axe FX II
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 04:06:25 AM »
First of all congratulations Patzag, gotta love those new-toy-days! [;)]

I'm sure it's very nice when all you have to do is plugging into the FOH / stage PA / rehearsal PA and you're done. Also very simple for recording, just one cable to your interface - et voilà.

What I'm not sure about is what the ideal setup for classic home use and practice would be, especially when using not only the amp emulations but the speaker simulations too. My guess would be running it through a guitar amp's power stage and a cabinet would pretty much defeat the purpose as it will end up coloring the sound and adding power distortion and compression at certain volume levels. To get the most of the unit and its features a full range speaker would be the way to go IMO, the easiest way probably being a good active monitor wedge.

Any ideas / input / feedback on that?

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:07:29 AM by Nefarius »

Axe FX II

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
Axe FX II
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scanman413

Stevie, I think you should talk to Fractal about being the official spokesman; I mean, you ARE the axeman! [:D]( Just trying to help ya,Bro!)

darn - I wish !!!!
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Nefarius

First of all congratulations Patzag, gotta love those new-toy-days! [;)]

I'm sure it's very nice when all you have to do is plugging into the FOH / stage PA / rehearsal PA and you're done. Also very simple for recording, just one cable to your interface - et voilà.

What I'm not sure about is what the ideal setup for classic home use and practice would be, especially when using not only the amp emulations but the speaker simulations too. My guess would be running it through a guitar amp's power stage and a cabinet would pretty much defeat the purpose as it will end up coloring the sound and adding power distortion and compression at certain volume levels. To get the most of the unit and its features a full range speaker would be the way to go IMO, the easiest way probably being a good active monitor wedge.

Any ideas / input / feedback on that?

Greetings...
Nef

I asked my FOH sound guy how he liked my guitar sound.  He said, well, he took all EQ off and now it sounds perfect.  Like it's already mixed.  So this is definitely a way to go.
That being said, I also ran the direct out through the power amp section of my Ceeriatone and also my little PV classic 30.  Just go into global settings, defeat cab simulation, and Bob's your uncle.  Sounded great ALSO.
So .. you can go both ways.  They both work.
You can also run a full range system through a Tube stereo amplifier and get just a bit of the tube drive that way.  Frankly, going direct is working for me.  I carry my whole rig now in a 2RU rack and a bag for my controller.  Sounds godly!

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Axe FX II

Offline rollingthunder

Axe FX II
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »
I was just reading about this product in an interview with Tosin Abasi the other day. Thanks so much for the post - it's huge to hear the opinions of people who have used the gear and (likely) are not sponsored.

- bill

2010 Fly Mojo Cherry Flame
2006 Fly Mojo Natural
1989 Steinberger GM4T
Line 6 Spider MKII w/ shortboard
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:37:11 AM by rollingthunder »
- bill

1989 Steinberger GM4T
Ibanez RGA8 with Aftermaths

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by rollingthunder

I was just reading about this product in an interview with Tosin Abasi the other day. Thanks so much for the post - it's huge to hear the opinions of people who have used the gear and (likely) are sponsored.

- bill

2006 Fly Mojo Natural
1989 Steinberger GM4T

I wish I were sponsored by Fractal. [8D]

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II

Axe FX II

Offline mountaindewaddict

Axe FX II
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
Patrick, Faze, what would you estimate the cost to be of putting together a Fractal driven rig (i.e., AxeFx II, midi foot controller, small rack to protect the Fractal, possibly with a Furman power conditioner, and all the necessary cables)?

Also, what level of quality of IEM do you need otherwise you're just not gonna hear the quality that the Fractal is capable of?  Thanks.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Axe FX II

Offline rollingthunder

Axe FX II
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Patzag

quote:
Originally posted by rollingthunder

I was just reading about this product in an interview with Tosin Abasi the other day. Thanks so much for the post - it's huge to hear the opinions of people who have used the gear and (likely) are sponsored.

I wish I were sponsored by Fractal. [8D]

oops....there was supposed to be a "not" in there. I'll fix that.

Sorry - I really meant that to *not* be snarky...

lol...

- bill

2006 Fly Mojo Natural
1989 Steinberger GM4T
- bill

1989 Steinberger GM4T
Ibanez RGA8 with Aftermaths

Axe FX II

Offline resist2112

Axe FX II
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »
I suppose in a home setting with cabinet emulation, you could even run it through your home stereo. I have a digitech 2120 that I run through my 7.1 that sounds so lush that I can nearly sink my teeth it. I would not be surprised if the axe fx could not do the same. I don't play too loud in that setup being that I live in an apartment. But for quiet to medium volumes, It really shines

Jeff

Jeff

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

Patrick, Faze, what would you estimate the cost to be of putting together a Fractal driven rig (i.e., AxeFx II, midi foot controller, small rack to protect the Fractal, possibly with a Furman power conditioner, and all the necessary cables)?

Also, what level of quality of IEM do you need otherwise you're just not gonna hear the quality that the Fractal is capable of?  Thanks.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, NiteFly NFV2, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!

Hey Casey,
Well ... I had to offload a bunch of stuff and scrape some barrels to be able to put this together.
Axe II - $2199.00 if you;re on the waiting list $2599.00 if you want to jump the line.
Rack - Less than $100.00
Furman - Why?  The Axe can take anything from 100 - 240 V and from 43 to 63 Hz.  Not an issue.  If you want it just for the lights, get lights.  (My 2 cents)
Midi controller.  I'm getting the MFC from fractal. Used. About $600 give or take.  New it's 750.  I'm using the Behringer FCB 1010 right now and it works great as long as you get the UNO chip which allows you to use 5 switches for presets and 5 for on/off switches.  Not enough but it's a good start.  If you buy the MFC or Rocktron Axess, you also need expression pedals.  So the FCB is a good deal as it has 2 good expression pedals and it's built like a tank.  Used, $190 bucks with the phantom option.
IEM - hum.  that's a chunk if you want it to sound good.  My band owns IEM so I didn't have to pay for that.  About 1400 for the hardware and then the ears.  Another 400 to 800 depending on how custom you go.
I'll let you do the math [:D]

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:08:44 PM by Patzag »

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
Hey guys:  A clip on my white custom, using a SINGLE preset on the Axe:  Sorry for the messy notes.  Just noodlin'!

http://soundcloud.com/patzag/wrecked-sample

Axe FX II

Offline BrainWorm

Axe FX II
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
Something sounds good, don't know if it's the Axe or the guitar.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Axe FX II

Offline mountaindewaddict

Axe FX II
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 10:36:24 AM »
Pat, that's incredible!  Man, what a killer tone!  Kinda gave me an eargasm. [;)] Sweet playing too.  [:D]

Casey

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Axe FX II

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
Axe FX II
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
Nice.

Axe FX II

Offline danjazzny

Axe FX II
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
Sweet indeed! [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97  TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '99 Tobacco Sunburst Supreme 5lbs13oz; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp

'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II