Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Axe FX II  (Read 19481 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Axe FX II
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »
Dude, thats some yummy tone.

Eargasm x 2 !

You stole Mayer's stuff. [:p]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

You stole Mayer's stuff. [:p]

A few Flys in my soup

Hey!  He stole it from Jimi.  I just stole a few notes of it back [;)]

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Axe FX II

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Axe FX II
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
[:)]

[8D]

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup

Axe FX II

Offline billy

Axe FX II
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
PSA - I just messed my pants...  so worth it though![:D]

Been away for awhile starting my new job and moving, what a great post to return to!

Great playing Patrick, and amazing to be able to pick out the Parker sound through the axe fx, which also seems great.

Killer combination that must be amazing live.  Sound cloud seems pretty cool too!

Thanks for posting!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »
Thanks Guys.
It is amazing live.  My sound man simply said that he just has no eq or processing of any kind on my channels and it sounds perfectly mixed.  Awesome!

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:20:03 AM by Patzag »

Axe FX II

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Axe FX II
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
Investing some time researching this thing is getting more and more interesting, shame on that evil clip of yours (very nice, keep 'em coming)! [;)]

Especially when the alternative seems to be changing to just another big bad amp setup with lots of watts and blaring speakers that sure would sound great but still would end up being hard to control for different scenarios and expensive to get the most of in terms of versatility and switching limitations.

Getting an Axe FX and a Mark V sure is tempting but would be bordering decadence with those prices (besides throwing back my frivolous plans about another Custom Parker by years). [:P]

The problem is there's really just not a chance in hell to test drive those rare things, especially over here.

Greetings...
Nef

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
So I thought I'd update this thread a bit by adding a couple of clips I did.  

1. here's a Dumble-style preset I did to sound like one of my idols - Robben Ford.  In truth, I don't use this preset too much anymore.  I now use presets that sound like me [:)}.  But this shows off the Axe nicely.
http://soundcloud.com/patzag/talk-to-your-daughter-solo

2. Pat Metheny anyone?  here's a synth patch I made to sound like my other idol.  
http://soundcloud.com/patzag/are-you-going-with-me-axe

3. Stevie Wonder?  I always loved the clav.  This is a clean tone with a ring modulator set to track the pitch of the note.  Sounds pretty good and, not being a synth, has more "feel" to it.
http://soundcloud.com/patzag/clav

I'm having a ton of fun with my guitars and the Axe!

Axe FX II

Offline danjazzny

Axe FX II
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »
Very nice! Especially "Talk to Your Daughter". [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97  TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '99 Tobacco Sunburst Supreme 5lbs13oz; '09 Custom DragonFly 814 (Hardtail) 4lbs10oz; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp

'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Axe FX II

Offline billy

Axe FX II
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
Very cool...!

Patrick, I don't recall, did you have the original axe fx, and then get the ii, or did you just get the ii?

Just wondering because there's a lot of axe ultras for sale these days.  Very appealing, so the question is, get a used ultra or keep saving for a ii?
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by billy

Very cool...!

Patrick, I don't recall, did you have the original axe fx, and then get the ii, or did you just get the ii?

Just wondering because there's a lot of axe ultras for sale these days.  Very appealing, so the question is, get a used ultra or keep saving for a ii?

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Hi Billy!
Never had an Ultra.  I know a few people that did who upgraded and are very happy they did.  I also know people who have an Ultra and are still very happy with it.  I think that it depends on what you want to do with it and a bit on your budget.

I had no budget when I decided to buy the Axe.  So I had to save for the whole amount.  I figured that if I was going to spend 2K on something, I'd rather spend it on something that's not EOL already.  there's no more development for the Ultra while the II is still evolving (5 major firmware updates in 9 months!), and the next one is supposed to be massive.

Now the truth is, I recovered my initial investment in  almost no time.  I sold pedals, amps, effect boxes and so forth.  There is not a single effect I owned that I could not reproduce accurately with the Axe - and with zero noise to boot - so this ended up being a no brainer.(Man, I should get paid by Fractal Audio for writing something like that!)

Axe FX II

Offline billy

Axe FX II
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:33 AM »
Cool, thanks Patrick!

These days I'm pretty much just noodling, but I like to record my own music.  What I have isn't too bad but starting to feel a little dated. ( Which means in 10 more years it should be worth some $$...).

I dont hear any of the digitalness that seems to be part of many fx units in your's or others' clips, its pretty organic sounding. The idea of a two space unit that does it all is really appealing too.  A little gas that helps downsize?  Sign me up!

The ii has USB so that might be worth it right there vs the ultra, so I'll probably keep saving!
Billy

Axe FX II

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
Axe FX II
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
Pat, Are those clips recorded with XLR out strait to a A/D? I'm impressed regardless..  :)
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
I concur.  The USB is a great plus and there is no digital sounding artifacts.
Some of the cabinet IRs are a bit off-sounding to me but I just don't use them.
One of the beta tester put up a nice setting of a mix of near field and far field IRs and that solved the in-the-room sound issues I had had in the past with this unit.  I am now 100% happy.

Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Axe FX II
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lucgravely

Pat, Are those clips recorded with XLR out strait to a A/D? I'm impressed regardless..  :)

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Parker Fly Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Hey Luc,
These clips are recorded straight USB into Reaper.  The only time the clips say the analog light of day is when they hit your amplifier.  The XLR out sounds identical.

Axe FX II

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Axe FX II
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 08:13:28 AM »
Again very tasty stuff. I think it's ideal when your gear inspires you to find something new every time you use it.
And it certainly sounds to be that way here.
Enjoy and keep posting!

Greetings...
Nef