Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Axe FX II  (Read 20403 times)

Offline billy

Axe FX II
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
+1, probably a good thing for all the other stuff on my to-do list that I don't have one at the moment!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Axe FX II - Ceriatone - Attenuator (which one?)

Offline kbgeezer99

Axe FX II - Ceriatone - Attenuator (which one?)
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
Patrick and all,

now this forum is so great ! after millions of hours of research, trial in the store and pretending at home there is a cool time before Christmas and gear almost costs nothing that time (and btw: wife, we don't need anything else like car, house-repair etc..all we need is good sound ;-) ) the forum seems to solve everything: its the Ceriatone OTS for the good tone.

....but after reading this thread you guys do recommend to throw all over board (besides the Flys) and just go with the Axe II? No amp? so for home (no stadium or club gigs) and the hobby cellar musician (but that professionally hahahaha) it is the AXE II and nothing else, right?
No tube-amp like the Ceriatone anymore?...I do love this dumble tone thingie with single coils.

...it also means the SSS custom-fly (21-22 fret) has to start asap ;-)

Klaus
PS: still, the ceriatone amp seems to be 'the' dumble clone. only downside...for home use no doubt an attenuator is needed and again there are millions of hours research ahead ;-)

Re: Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
Hey Klaus,
That's what I did.  I had the Ceriatone and it was and IS a fantastic amplifier.  I finally had it set up to do what I wanted and using it with the G System from TC I had good control over it.  But it is a one-tone machine and the TC electronics sounded, to me, a bit sterile.
In comes the AFII.  I kept the Ceriatone for a long time.  First I used it a bit still and then finally not at all.  The Speaker simulation on the Axe is actually very good when you take the time to figure out how to make it work.  Theres some recent offerings from Fractal and Ownhammer that make the set up even simpler because they sound great without tweak.  But just like a real amp can sound like sh*t with a lousy cab, the Axe set up with the wrong IR can also sound bad.

Now the last month I have been using the public beta of the last firmware revision - 9.0b.  The Axe has been wonderful since day one and has only gotten better with firmware revisions.  But this last thing is really, really, really good.  I did a two hour show with a single preset, just rolling off some volume to get a clean tone, pushing it to get some edge and wide open for that great Marshall stack goodness.  I was amazed at this. 

I'm not a company fanboy, except when it comes to Parker.  And I've even come back from that a bit.  But Fractal Audio is a very, very fine company with a very, very fine product and a service and support like no other.  The upgrades that have been supplied at no extra charge in the last year+ are astounding.
I have endless tonal possibilities and limitless choices in sculpting the ultimate guitar sound.  This box goes where no tube amp has ever gone before, I can tell you that. 

In fact, in my mind, it's no longer "does it sound like a tube amp".  It has gone beyond that.  It can do the tube thing, but it is now a tool of creation, not just emulation.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline kbgeezer99

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 04:17:14 AM »
Thanks Patrick !!

Btw..you were right. No more waiting list in Europe....so, Santa Klaus will bring to Klaus his latest big boys toys. yeah.
And the Ceriatone has just gone to the waiting list ;-) ...will be pulled upon next GAS.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
Congratulations!  LEt me know when you get it and what your feedback is!

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 04:27:09 AM »
...and when you finally get home to Graz and we can jam!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:55 AM »
darn. I stumbled across this (I don't often look in the "amps" section) this morning, and I've been GASsing for an Axe Fx for the last 3 hours. It's stopping me from working :)

Those clips are incredible. I'm already quite keen on the idea of going direct to the PA - I do it sometimes with my Korg AX3000 - but my goodness what a difference compared to the sound that I get with the Korg.

Going to have to start saving up / preparing the sales talk for the wife :D
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Offline simeon

• Homepage
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 06:06:12 AM »

Going to have to start saving up / preparing the sales talk for the wife :D

go for it!

you'll end up selling all your old gear anyway

and it's always good to be nice to the wife  ;D

Offline Gorbyrev

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
Getting an Axe-Fx Ultra was the most expensive gear decision I have ever made but I am so glad I did. Many people are worried that you can't try one out which is fair enough. It might pay Fractal to put demo machines out but they seem to be able to sell every one they make. I was 6 months on G66's list for mine and frankly the 30 day money back is a bit useless because it took me quite a while to come to grips with the unit. My experience is that you kind of have to put your faith in it and have a go. Once that happens it rewards in spadefuls! I went from running it with the cabs disabled through a Rocktron Velocity 120 (it replaced a Voodu Valve) and a Marshall 1936 2x12. But I eventually found my monitoring stereo set up which comprises of a cheap Denon hi-fi amp and Wharfdale Diamonds did a much better job. Had a very brief chat with Ty Tabor and he had done a similar thing. He started using the effects but was drawn into using the amp blocks too. He is a tone monster and those Egnater / Randall custom rigs were to die for, yet he chose to use the Ax. Mr Petrucci also used it straight for some overdubs on the last album though his main tone is still the Boogies. The real trick with the Axe-Fx is to remember you are hearing the finished sound - like listening to a recording rather than working with a combo or cab that then needs a mic and preamp to finish the tone. Haven't heard an Axe-Fx II but the Ultra replaced all my gear and sounds wonderful with a Fly. The strength of the unit is that instead of trying to get all the sounds I want from a one amp set up, I can access a full range of guitar tones, both classic and new. It also has the most powerful eq-ing you could imagine with graphics and parametrics that can radically alter your tone.  If you buy one second hand you can probably pass it on for what you paid for it so no hardship there! But for me I couldn't imagine using anything else.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:32:46 PM by Gorbyrev »
'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold,
'98 NFV6 Nitefly, trans blue
Axe-fx Ultra - vintage tone now the Axe-Fx II is out!

Offline Ajo1984

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
Ugh.

I want one.  :) :) :'( :'( :'( :) :) :)

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
see youtube Lunch w/ Dan Boul, 65 Amps, 12.17.14 at 55:00 for discussion of piezos and kemper/AX FXII by big (900,000+ watts) venue pro sound man tom abraham

woulda gave the link but last time big brother locked my thread talking about their discussion of the future of tube amps

Offline Bagatell

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 09:06:01 AM »
see youtube Lunch w/ Dan Boul, 65 Amps, 12.17.14 at 55:00 for discussion of piezos and kemper/AX FXII by big (900,000+ watts) venue pro sound man tom abraham

woulda gave the link but last time big brother locked my thread talking about their discussion of the future of tube amps

http://youtu.be/VyxAAqzO14E?t=55m

Offline aleclee

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
Totally not my experience.  My AxeFx sits in a mix better than a lot of tube amps I've owned, particularly Soldanos.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
I did a show just his past week where I had the opportunity to get the show recorded on Pro Tools.  No EQ, no tweak, no futzing around.  My guitar track sat so well in the mix that the thing sounded like a polished studio recording.  It sounds like this live all the time.  I would not want to revert to amps-cabs-mics.  I'll try to post an excerpt later today - you can decide for yourself.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2015, 03:23:43 AM »
I've been using one for a couple of years now, it's great. Lots of options, lots of tweak-ability, sounds fantastic. The only issue is i can't keep up with the updates, which come thick and fast!

Big Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.