Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best amp for Spanish/Nylon Fly  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Koyunbaba

Best amp for Spanish/Nylon Fly
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:49:01 PM »
Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of a 99' Spanish fly and very happy with it for the few days I have had it. [:D] I am currently looking for a nice amp to play with a group (keyboard and violin) at smaller venues.  So far the Marshall AS50D and the Roland AC-60 have caught my eye.  I am leaning towards the Marshall as it is less expensive.  I am in Europe (Czech Republic) so some of the other amps mentioned, like ultrasound, are not available here to my knowledge.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »
AER make great but expensive amps
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
SWR California Blonde.  Sounds great on acoustic instruments.

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline redcloud

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
I think a nice clean amp like either a Shertler UNICO or even better a Humphrey Expresso 15 (these are custom made and hand-wired and they are exceptional!

SB Macdonald Resonator electric

Alembic "Studio Further"
Alembic "Lil' Darling"
Gibson LP "Traditional"
Collings "City Limits Jazz"
Parker Fly Supreme LTD Koa #17/25
Parker Fly Bronze
Fender Custom Shop Road
Show '10 LTD
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Taylor Solid Body Builder's
Reserve #4

Peavey "Delta Blues"
Fender "Acoustasonic SFXII"
Schertler "Unico"

Many Acoustic Guitars

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Patzag

SWR California Blonde.  Sounds great on acoustic instruments.

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II

Ditto that.

I have an old one. Sounds good. Fairly heavy though so the old girl doesn't get out much. Like never. But for that matter, me either so....

AER's are suppose to sound fantastic and are light. But pricey. If you are going places it may be worth paying more for portability.

If you are staying put, the big fat blond is a great way to go. Bought mine used for 375 USD, but it was 40 more for shipping.

PS do a search on the forum as this subject has been threaded before. Seems people liked their tech 21's (sp?)  and rolands too. Also lots of folks just use the house PA or bring one.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:24:49 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:42:16 AM »
I second AERs and Schertlers and would like to add the Shenandoah line acoustic amps by Genz Benz, highly recommended.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Koyunbaba

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »
Ok those all sounds like good suggestions, but my options for buying are a bit limited.  So what about the mainstream options such as Marshall, Roland, Crate, etc?  Thanks!

Offline stevie axeman

• http://www.myspace.com/stevieaxeman
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
I tried the Marshall and Roland and didn't like either  - I think if you are limited - try and aim for an amp which is designed for Keyboard players - therefore full range -
or a second hand AER or Schertler - both made in Europe ?
Majik Blue 02 Fly Deluxe, Blue/green-burst 09 Fly Deluxe , Natural Mahogany 05 Fly Mojo, Vigier Shawn Lane, Caparison Horus,  Schecter C7 Hellraiser ,   Brian Moore i9.13 ,Godin ACS-SA
Bogner XTC Classic ,Fishman Performer amps
,Fishman Aura Blender,

Offline PeterMa

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
Crate's acoustic amps are a good bang for the buck.  They sound as good as some of the more expensive ones, but aren't designed to take much of a beating.  I have an old CA125D that sounds great-gets really loud and has a mic input as well.  You can pick them up cheap on Ebay.

Keep in mind that the acoustic amps are nothing like Crates electric amp output, which is low end sonicly and construction wise.
Peter in MA.

Offline plan-x

• http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »
I have the Marshall 50w and I am totally satisfied. I tried a few others at the Guitar center, Sam ash, etc. before I bought it. It was the best amongst the Crate, Fender, Rolands, etc. I play in an acoustic/vocal duo and we gig out. The amp is unbeatable as a guitar/vocal rig. The other player has the 100w version. The efx are really nice and the headroom of the Marshall's are the best of all the others. Buy it!

00' Fly deluxe S2 HSS
02' NiteFly P (Poplar) HH
06' NiteFly SA (w/coil tap mod) HSS

John W

Plan-x

http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster
00' Fly deluxe S2 HSS
02' NiteFly P (Poplar) HH

John W...in the Mojave
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 12:45:05 AM »
try genz benz as suggested. they use big, high powered full range neo 12 inch speakers that move lots of air, which the mainstream six and eight inch speakers do not, as much.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 07:50:38 AM »
Also try PA and Keyboard amps with your guitar. Seeing that your choices are fairly limited you don't know what might sound the best to your ears. I like the Fishman amp with the standard piezo on my steel strung Flys never owning a nylon strung Fly I have no idea what is going to sound the best to me let alone what will sound the best to you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:03:49 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG