Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P&K Audio Jive King 20  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Cortexturizer

P&K Audio Jive King 20
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »
This is what I use with my Parker :)
you can see my Gibson SG on one picture, it's just that I never took the time to make a photo of the amp and the Parker all together...will do, asap.

This baby is called Jive King 20, it's a 20W amp [more like 25W but the label says 20] and it is completely handwired. It is made like in the fifties or sixties,  there is no printed circuit boards, it features a premium quality spring reverb which is GREAT.
It has two ECC83 and two ECC81 tubes in the preamp, and two 6V6 tubes in the poweramp. It also feature tube rectification, I am using a GZ34 tube at the moment and it is great.
The speaker is a Celestion G12H which I really like.
The cabinet is oversized [also handmade by Peca himself, I actually saw the tools he was using as the cabinet was in the building stage], and has A LOT of bass :) The controls are: Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, Reverb, Master, Low power/High power [which correspond to triode or pentode mode], Stand By, Power.
It has two inputs, Low and High.

The sound of the amp is somewhere between a Fender Deluxe/Pro Reverb and a VOX Ac series. It is an original desing of a beloved Serbian ampmaker Petar "Peca" Filipovic.
As you can see, he did an astonishingly good job :)
This is your Dr.Z, Greer, Divided by 13, and such - quality.

What made me fall in love with this amp, are not only the clean tones that are phenomenal, but the way the amp works with overdrive and other types of pedals. My god, I can get anything from the twangiest of twang, to a Mesa-like metal tones if I set the Mid/bass balance right. It is a true vintage voiced amp, it saturates madly, so sludge and stooner rock are absolutely at home.

My Parker P40, although it is one of the low budget Parkers, works amazing with this amp, I adore the combination.

Here's a P&K Audio website, it is still under construction, made by Peca himself http://www.pikaudio.com/ you can see that his abilities as a webpage designer aren't that great [:)]

Here is a very short clip showcasing the abilities of the amp. You can see Peca talking about the amp, and my friend Ljuba playing. The amp in question features a Jensen neodimium speaker, and a western sexy finish :) First there is a showcase of the reverb, then they dirty up the sound quite a bit in the low power/triode mode.
I hope you will enjoy it. [I presume it goes without saying that youtube compression stinks]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO2AFT-TIxQ

Thank you for your time :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:48:03 AM by Cortexturizer »
--------------------------------------------
Your solo playing will never be better than your chord playing.

P&K Audio Jive King 20

Offline resist2112

P&K Audio Jive King 20
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
That is a very nice looking amp. The snakeskin with the tweed front looks cool as well.

I hope you don't let that sg sit in the sun too long.

Jeff

2011 Fly Mojo "Tangerine"

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds
Jeff

2011 Fly Mojo "Tangerine"

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds

P&K Audio Jive King 20

Offline Cortexturizer

P&K Audio Jive King 20
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 05:00:01 AM »
Thank you Jeff. Hopefully soon I will have sound samples, if anyone is interested how a Parker sounds on this amp.

And no, the SG was there just for the purpose of shooting that photos heh :P It works so great, plays like milk.
The only thing I need that I don't have is a decent Telecaster, and then I am done. [heh, I presume everybody lies to themselves on a regular basis like this huh?]
Cheers!
--------------------------------------------
Your solo playing will never be better than your chord playing.