Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW GraphTech Ghost saddles for Parker trem  (Read 9560 times)

Offline ParkerP

NEW GraphTech Ghost saddles for Parker trem
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »
Hello!

As I did tell a few months ago in another topic http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12239&SearchTerms=ghost we should be pleased to have the highly acclaimed Ghost saddles available for the Parker trem, one of these days... [:)]

Well, the wait is over so that day did already come, here they are:
http://www.graphtech.com/product-685-2/

Enjoy, cheers, JPB

EDIT: I guess that one of our Moderators may have something special to say about this... [;)]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:40:17 PM by ParkerP »

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
Cool. Anybody's got these?  How do they sound, both as piezos and how do they affect the mag tone?

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline ParkerP

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Patzag...how do they affect the mag tone?

This is amazing, later on you'll understand... [:D]

Cheers, JPB

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ParkerP

quote:

Cheers, JPB

OK. It's later now ...

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II

Offline bno

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
Wow, looks good.  This looks perfect for an quick and easy Nitefly upgrade.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
I don't understand understanding later.

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Parker Fly Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
A few pedals...
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline RoneB

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
Please fill me in. What is the big advantage of this product over the saddles supplied with our guitars?
Ron..
98 Simon Supreme, 97 NiteFly, 2000 Custom Shop Strat, 2004 Telecaster Custom, 2 USACG Custom Designs, Fender Cyber Twin, Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 Combo.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by RoneB

Please fill me in. What is the big advantage of this product over the saddles supplied with our guitars?

Ron..
98 Simon Supreme, 97 NiteFly, 2000 Custom Shop Strat, 2004 Telecaster Custom, 2 USACG Custom Designs, Fender Cyber Twin, Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 Combo.

Don't know yet Ron.  See the other post about this with BillyT's comments on this.

Offline ParkerP

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
quote:

quote:

Cheers, JPB

Hi once again!

Well, I was just willing to leave some space for our Moderator and reknown artist Dave Martone to post here his impressions, however as some of you are getting impatient about the questions/spelling-coincidence/mistery, I gonna transcribe his own words published in a Graph Tech newsletter:

"I had a chance this summer on tour to really check out the new ghost system compared to the old saddles on my bridge. I had the sound engineer and his assistant there with me as we checked it out on stage in a live setting.  HOLY CRAP was everyones verdict!!!

I plugged in the old guitar, then the new one, into the exact same signal chain... and I would have to say, in all honesty, there was a 50% improvement in the acoustic tones coming from the instrument! I'm sold!!"

By crossing this statement with BillyT's words, not forgetting the new Parker/USM Corp ownership origins, I can only foresee great news regarding the piezo and electronics in the next future Parker guitars.

Cheers, JPB
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:23:45 PM by ParkerP »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
Two things...

One you need to get the web copy guy to write more appropriate copy for the Parker only saddles. His description is for Fender saddles and it will confuse people as all Parker are the same width and the height adjustment should be able to accommodate.

Two the picture shows a saddle with a plug end so I assume they go with the midi or syth kit how about selling a set designed for standard Fly single lead for soldering to the pad and with a ground strap on the bottom or a ground lead. Or can the saddle you have be installed that way?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:04:15 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline bno

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Two things...

One you need to get the web copy guy to write more appropriate copy for the Parker only saddles. His description is for Fender saddles and it will confuse people as all Parker are the same width and the height adjustment should be able to accommodate.

Two the picture shows a saddle with a plug end so I assume they go with the midi or syth kit how about selling a set designed for standard Fly single lead for soldering to the pad and with a ground strap on the bottom or a ground lead. Or can the saddle you have be installed that way?

Alex
Yeah, I was confused when I read that.  You're thinking of testing them with a Fishman preamp?  Now I'm wondering if it's the pickup or the preamp that makes the dramatic change.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 03:10:15 PM »
A piezo element is a piezo element. The difference that people hear must be in the preamp...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline BillyT

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:06 PM »
Not always true. The Fishman piezo is buried in Zinc and epoxy while the graphtech is buried in Graphite and glass compound. The carrying substance makes a biig difference in sound. That said, Martone tested his with the Acoustiphonic preamp from Graphtech. This is thier off the shelf preamp with no modification.

Offline ParkerP

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:03:49 PM »
quote:

Originally posted by 908ssp

Two things...

Alex

Hmmm...

I do assume that Dave Martone does use Parkers so using two identical guitars he was just comparing the original Parker/Fishman saddles to the test Ghost saddles, through the same signal path (I'm talking about the text I transcribed from the newsletter, not the generic product description on the website, you're right regarding that one).

Besides, you may either chose to connect all 6 saddles into the same multiple socket so their mixed signal will be routed to the preamp in use, or you may route the 6 individual saddles signals to another board such as the Hexpander for MIDI interface duties including guitar synth drive.

Both the multiple socket and the mixed signal out lead are usually included with the Ghost saddle sets.

What BillyT pointed out is much relevant, certainly the interface material between the vibrating string and the piezo element does make a substantial difference as we are talking 100% acoustic when considering this kind of signal retrieval, also not all the piezo elements are the same, finally the way they are set, more or less "free" into the saddle (and more or less vulnerable to moisture), also does matter.

Cheers, JPB
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:12:56 AM by ParkerP »

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BillyT

Not always true. The Fishman piezo is buried in Zinc and epoxy while the graphtech is buried in Graphite and glass compound. The carrying substance makes a biig difference in sound. That said, Martone tested his with the Acoustiphonic preamp from Graphtech. This is thier off the shelf preamp with no modification.

Yeah I guess that would make some difference in the response of the piezo element to some degree. I was thinking more about the 1st and 2nd generation Parker saddles which are constructed differently from what I can tell. But the piezo element is still what reproduces the sound. I guess exactly how well it does that is affected by that other stuff....

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams